Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Info regarding 3.5" lift and 35" tires.

Info regarding 3.5" lift and 35" tires.

Come spring, i want to do some work on my jk.
    Primarily a 3.5"- 4" lift and a 1.25" body lift (Rough Country) and 16" ATX artillery wheels (SICK!!!) with 35" BF Goodrinch Mud and Off-Road tires.

Now i read on many forums and countless threads that it is almost a must for me to regear my jeep. However, when i brought this up to the dealer, the guy said that they have been doing similar lifts and mods and have never regeared any of them without any problems.

Needless to say i was shocked when i heard this considering the fact that i am capable of doing the lift at my buddy's garage and don't need to play with the complicated work of regearing. However i don't want to do anything half assed. So if regearing is necessary i will find someone who does it.

BTW, any thoughts on what I'm doing???

You are wanting to do 4" suspension and 1.25" body? That is way to much lift for 35's.

Second what year is your Jeep? What gears do you have now? Do you plan to go bigger tires in the future?
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

2012 Dozer JK
    -Dynatrac PR44/Rubicon Rear
    -Nitto 37” Trail Grapplers
    -Rock Krawler 2.5” Lift
    -ATX Slabs
    -Warn VR8
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

2012 Billet Silver JKUR
    -EVO DTD front and rear
    -Dynatrac PR60/PR80
    -EVO High Clearance Long Arm
    -Nitto 40” Trail grapplers
    -KMC Machetes
    -JE Reel 1410/1350 Driveshafts
    -Warn CTI 9.5
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

1975 DJ5

Quote Originally Posted by anthony_jk View Post
    Come spring, i want to do some work on my jk.
    Primarily a 3.5"- 4" lift and a 1.25" body lift (Rough Country) and 16" ATX artillery wheels (SICK!!!) with 35" BF Goodrinch Mud and Off-Road tires.

Now i read on many forums and countless threads that it is almost a must for me to regear my jeep. However, when i brought this up to the dealer, the guy said that they have been doing similar lifts and mods and have never regeared any of them without any problems.

Needless to say i was shocked when i heard this considering the fact that i am capable of doing the lift at my buddy's garage and don't need to play with the complicated work of regearing. However i don't want to do anything half assed. So if regearing is necessary i will find someone who does it.

BTW, any thoughts on what I'm doing???
    First off, I should tell you that 3.5"-4" of lift + a 1.25" body lift is A LOT of lift and way too much for just 35" tires. Seriously, you can practically run 35's with just trimmed factory flares alone. I would highly recommend that you reconsider this and go for something more center of gravity friendly like a 2.5" lift with a 1" body lift or just a 3" lift. This will keep you more stable on the trail and perform much better.

Regarding gears, so long as you have at least 3.73 or 4.10 gears and make sure to recalibrate your speedo (assuming you have an auto), you can live without regearing. However, the power loss you'll see is real and the only way to regain it is to regear to at least 4.88. That'll bring you back up to about stock performance.

Hooked
    I would also consider steering away from 16" wheels- Their really isn't a lot of variety in a 16" wheel, compared to 17"s.....

I personally have never been a fan of body lifts on anything. I have never found one that I find attractive. Only advantage is they are very cost effective.
    ~Zach

2010 2dr Wrangler Sport
    AEV 2.5 Coil Lift
    Evo Sliders, gussets, and control arm skids
    Spidertrax 1.75 Spacers
    35 Nitto Trail Grapplers
    LOD Signature Series Rear Bumper

Quote Originally Posted by ltdanlj View Post
    I would also consider steering away from 16" wheels- Their really isn't a lot of variety in a 16" wheel, compared to 17"s.....
    Agreed. 17" will give you a lot more options.

Quote Originally Posted by OverlanderJK View Post
    You are wanting to do 4" suspension and 1.25" body? That is way to much lift for 35's.

Second what year is your Jeep? What gears do you have now? Do you plan to go bigger tires in the future?
    My jeep is a 2011 jk sahara unlimited.

My current gear ratio is 3.73

Yes i do eventually want to go bigger but not anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    First off, I should tell you that 3.5"-4" of lift + a 1.25" body lift is A LOT of lift and way too much for just 35" tires. Seriously, you can practically run 35's with just trimmed factory flares alone. I would highly recommend that you reconsider this and go for something more center of gravity friendly like a 2.5" lift with a 1" body lift or just a 3" lift. This will keep you more stable on the trail and perform much better.

Regarding gears, so long as you have at least 3.73 or 4.10 gears and make sure to recalibrate your speedo (assuming you have an auto), you can live without regearing. However, the power loss you'll see is real and the only way to regain it is to regear to at least 4.88. That'll bring you back up to about stock performance.
    In your opinion, am i better off going with 17s on 37s and forgetting about the body lift (only a 3.5" or 4" lift)?

Yes my current gear ratio is 3.73 but my jk is manual and i honestly do not want to lose my 6th gear.
    Your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by anthony_jk View Post
    In your opinion, am i better off going with 17s on 37s and forgetting about the body lift (only a 3.5" or 4" lift)?

Yes my current gear ratio is 3.73 but my jk is manual and i honestly do not want to lose my 6th gear.
    Your thoughts?
    Yes, I would go with 17" wheels with your 37's and only go 3.5"-4" of lift with trimmed fenders or flat fenders to clear your tires. That is a good stable setup and one that I run now.

Even with a manual, you really should regear if you choose to run 37's. 5.13's is a good ratio to run.

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    Yes, I would go with 17" wheels with your 37's and only go 3.5"-4" of lift with trimmed fenders or flat fenders to clear your tires. That is a good stable setup and one that I run now.

Even with a manual, you really should regear if you choose to run 37's. 5.13's is a good ratio to run.
    what do you think if i get the regearing done at my buddys garage? is it really as hard as people are saying it is? hes a good mechanic, and understands what needs to be done but hasn't physically done one, he has only watched others do it... :s

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast