Overheating issues

kawimoto

2015 jku, I'm a gauge watcher by trade and I cant help but notice my jeep runs incredibly hot. it likes to run around 220 most of the time but its backwards to what youd think. doing 70 today down the highway it got to a whopping 332! it actually cools off when I come to a stop at a light. it fluctuates rather erratically and seems as though the thermostat isn't opening up. I cant tell if the fans are kicking on or not. wheeling the other weekend at rausch it did pretty well staying around 210-215. still though it seems hot to me. ideally these engines should be around 200-205 normal op temp id think. correct me if im wrong. jeeps got 60k on it and its automatic, 5.13 gears. tranny temp looks good and holds 170-175 all the time. coolant isn't low or leaking and everything seems to check out that would be obvious. no signs whatsoever, no coolant smell either. thinking ill change the thermostat and housing just to see if that's the issue as ive seen people have hairline cracks and or pinhole leaks in theirs. just tired of cranking the heat to get it to come down, even then though it only drops about 10 degrees off on a hot day. I was still having this issues when it was 20 degrees out, granted took longer obviously to get up to temp but nonetheless still got incredibly hot. it seems load related. going uphill for sure gets it extremely hot fast. going downhill itll drop very quickly to 200-206 or so as well.

tengland

Perhaps you've got a lot of dust buildup on the radiator fins and a good power wash might help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

kawimoto

ive tried that, thought it might help but was skeptical as the radiator wasn't really dirty at all...

J

JKDream

ive tried that, thought it might help but was skeptical as the radiator wasn't really dirty at all...
Its normal unless your hot oil light is coming on. Even says so in the manual. These motors run really hot for efficiency.

kawimoto

scary hot. When I was stationed out in japan id see temps like this and possibly ten or so degrees hotter but that was drifting an sr20 boosted four cylinder at redline for 20 min sessions, this pentastar is hardly seeing 3k just cruising and gets uncomfortably hot, I mean the needle should stay around the center but mine hovers a few millimeters past and when it s seeing 230-235 its almost to the 3/4 hashmark. just seems unreasonably hot is all. Thanks for the info though, I indeed am not getting any check engine lights or anything signifying a problem.

WJCO

Meme King
330? That would likely cause boilover, steam, engine knock, and maybe stalling. Is it possible your temp sensor is bad sending a false signal? You need to check that fan is working, turn on AC and see if fan comes on. Also with a temp laser on each side of the tstat, you can tell if it's opening accurately or not.

jorgelrod

Hooked
330? That would likely cause boilover, steam, engine knock, and maybe stalling. Is it possible your temp sensor is bad sending a false signal? You need to check that fan is working, turn on AC and see if fan comes on. Also with a temp laser on each side of the tstat, you can tell if it's opening accurately or not.

I'm sure he meant 232, mine has gone up to 237 on the highway going up the mountains, the fan kicks in after 226 and it will bring it down after a while

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

tengland

any time I see fuck instead of muck, or whore instead of roar, or 332 degrees instead of 233 degrees I just assume it's a typo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

scull20

You guys are seeing similar temps then. My buddies 16 jku is 6 speed and he stays around 206-210 all the time. Meanwhile I skyrocket

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I've hit 3/4 on the gauge and roughly 230-240 on the readout. It generally happens going uphill for extended periods of time, a/c on blast on a hot day. 35s and 4.10 gears. It generally comes back down pretty quickly on it's own though. I'm sure the winch/bumper, lift, etc. don't help matters either.

Seems like it's pretty common with the 3.6 in the wranglers. I'm not noticing any chance in performance. Both my tstat housing and radiator are both replaced.

Last edited:

kawimoto

ok yeah it must be more of a normal operating condition than I thought. appreciate all the help guys. I ordered a thermostat and housing anyway and I'll change it just as cheap insurance, jeeps got 60k miles so it cant hurt to just throw some fresh parts in. probably be good if nothing else just to see the condition of the coolant currently in the system and run some fresh OAT in it. probably throw a cap on as well. like stated above, cheap insurance. on a side note, you guys know anyone, or heard any good things about the flexalite radiator and fan? worth it? any issues with them? I know I can get away with 100-150k miles on an oem but id really like to upgrade. thoughts?

scull20

ok yeah it must be more of a normal operating condition than I thought. appreciate all the help guys. I ordered a thermostat and housing anyway and I'll change it just as cheap insurance, jeeps got 60k miles so it cant hurt to just throw some fresh parts in. probably be good if nothing else just to see the condition of the coolant currently in the system and run some fresh OAT in it. probably throw a cap on as well. like stated above, cheap insurance. on a side note, you guys know anyone, or heard any good things about the flexalite radiator and fan? worth it? any issues with them? I know I can get away with 100-150k miles on an oem but id really like to upgrade. thoughts?

I thought about it when my OEM got a leak in it. Just decided to stick with an OEM style replacement from amazon. No issues with it since I installed it in February. I have no means of backing it up, but I have a feeling that 3.6 has a tendency to run hotter for emissions, and for that matter is generally happy running a bit higher in the temp range that what is generally considered "normal". That's why I stuck with the OEM style rad...I hit the higher temps and everything seems to run just fine.

kawimoto

good deal man, I too will probably just stick with oem. thanks again for the info, its reassuring if nothing else

J

JKDream

I've hit 3/4 on the gauge and roughly 230-240 on the readout. It generally happens going uphill for extended periods of time, a/c on blast on a hot day. 35s and 4.10 gears. It generally comes back down pretty quickly on it's own though. I'm sure the winch/bumper, lift, etc. don't help matters either.

Seems like it's pretty common with the 3.6 in the wranglers. I'm not noticing any chance in performance. Both my tstat housing and radiator are both replaced.
x2 except 513 & 37s.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Desertman

Yes they are good but the modulated fan on the stock is about as good as you can get. Unless you have a hemi or an LS fitted the stock configuration on a Penstar is as good as you can get.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom