Overheating issues

kawimoto

well its reassuring to hear im not the only one seeing temps like this. still doesn't seem smart to run them so hot for emissions and efficiency... would be wiser to have an engine that isn't on the verge of meltdown constantly. heat cycles this severe are not good for bearings and races or any friction points in the engine, regardless of efficiency. Makes it that much more imperative to keep up on oil change intervals and to keep a grade heavier oil in to keep everything well lubricated. We have turbines at work and they see 16k rpm all day long.......granted that's a turbine that's operates using the brayton cycle not a reciprocating engine however, the internal bearings are still seeing high rpm and never cross 215 degrees. my point being tied to the fact that temperature kills, and even a small 15-20 degrees that seems obsolete, in time will greatly reduce the longevity of the engine

tengland

I would think that FCA's army of materials engineers would factor in all heat considerations before signing off on these temperature ranges in the Jeep.

Maybe the real issue is the 50% "straight up" marker on the temp gauge should be adjusted to higher range so people don't freak out when the needle goes past the halfway mark? I know I freak out a bit myself...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BobNH

I would think that FCA's army of materials engineers would factor in all heat considerations before signing off on these temperature ranges in the Jeep.

Maybe the real issue is the 50% "straight up" marker on the temp gauge should be adjusted to higher range so people don't freak out when the needle goes past the halfway mark? I know I freak out a bit myself...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
And yet cracked exhaust manifolds were not at all uncommon for the 3.8. Go figure.
And, while a good idea on paper, who the hell routs an exhaust pipe right under a trans pan with no heat shield? Sure, no worry going down the road, but what about while idling through the rocks and offroad in general where airflow is almost nil?

Sent from my SM-N910V using WAYALIFE mobile app

kawimoto

And yet cracked exhaust manifolds were not at all uncommon for the 3.8. Go figure.
And, while a good idea on paper, who the hell routs an exhaust pipe right under a trans pan with no heat shield? Sure, no worry going down the road, but what about while idling through the rocks and offroad in general where airflow is almost nil?

Sent from my SM-N910V using WAYALIFE mobile app

My point exactly, There's definitely some shortcomings on the engineering side. But we all knew that, you just hope with the heart of the vehicle some exceptions would be made. there are places to save a buck. the lifeblood of the vehicle is not one of them. On another note, I changed the housing and thermostat, found the housing was in fact, fine and in good working order, but since it was out I replaced the heat cycled plastic anyhow and ill hang on to the old unit as a spare. upon changing the thermostat though, the temp now hangs around 204-206 with the ac blasting, 89 degrees outside, and as much load/minimal air through the radiator as I could get. very interesting... I verified the fan kicks on at 225 degrees. had to drive it hard to get it that hot now. It seems to be running 10-15 degrees cooler. Happy so far but I'll keep my eye on it and report back as this thermostat gets hours and/or wear

Jtvegas

Yes I've had 2 jk's and both would go over the half way mark on the gauge when driving up in elevation on highway mountains but the jk has always remained cool on flat highways or off-roading even if it's 115 in the desert.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom