Close

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlanderJK View Post
    Price. Mobile welders are expensive especially if its a learning tool. If you decide you don't like it its a lot of money to throw away. And you would have to have your rig right there in order to use it.
    I'd have to agree with this. I've owned a Premier and now a Hobart and they are not cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    I'd have to agree with this. I've owned a Premier and now a Hobart and they are not cheap.
    Do you use a wire welder or manual feed?

Hmmm, if that is true, there are other things you really should be looking at as missing one control arm shouldn't have resulted in what you were experiencing. Could be you have a blown joint on one of the other links or maybe the lowers aren't set a bit off.
    Yeah good call on the joints.

You can use a mobile welder but if you, try to get one that doesn't need to be hooked up to your batteries. Also, try to get one that will allow you to run gas as opposed to just flux core. It'll help you to have cleaner welds and in my opinion, make learning easier. On the trail, using flux alone will be fine.

OK, gas it is!

if you have 240 in your garage you will have lots of choices. but if your like me with no 240, its either the harbor freight flux core or spending alot more on something that can do 120/240 and flux/mig
    -Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by TheDuff View Post
    if you have 240 in your garage you will have lots of choices. but if your like me with no 240, its either the harbor freight flux core or spending alot more on something that can do 120/240 and flux/mig
    I'm pretty sure I have 240 in the garage, I just need to move a shelf to confirm.

if you do then you can go mig pretty cheap
    -Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by LoPo View Post
    I'm pretty sure I have 240 in the garage, I just need to move a shelf to confirm.
    If you have a washer and dryer in garage should have a 240 vac there, may need to change wall plug
    Even though I drive my JEEP through the valley of the ROCKS, I fear no BREAKS, for WAYALIFE is with me; Your JEEP and Your WINCH, they comfort me.

Im no expert either but for the house I went with the Lincoln weld pak 140. It's an entry level wire feed unit home depot had for around 400$. I opted for this one because it can use flux core wire for welding outside in windy conditions or run argon/ox mix with the solid core wire when I want a nicer weld and can do it without much wind. This one operates on a standard 120 volt outlet and does everything Up to 3/16 pretty well. It claims to go up to 1/4" but will need multiple passes using .035 wire. One other nice thing is you can run a spool gun for doing aluminum.
    I also have an old Lincoln stick welder I use for the heavy jobs that is 220 volt. A certified welder friend of mine says the key is practice. Especially upside down,vertical etc. Seems that when my stuff breaks, it's usually in an awkward location.
    Last edited by Rebel JK; 02-17-2013 at 05:18 AM.

Fresh Catch

Welding

X2 on the last post. Like vehicles there's no one that does everything perfect. The 110 version of the Lincoln or Miller or Hobart does probably 90% of what you will ever need to on your vehicle. I would suggest finding a friend that does decent welding, buy yourself a good auto darkening helmet and a pizza and assorted beverages and watch him and ask questions as he works. A lot of guys sling wire and rod but don't know why or what. Then get a unit and practice practice. I still don't pass up any extra metal that I can get to practice on. After you get decent at flat work then start doing the odd positions. Don't forget you drag rod and push wire. Oh yeah when you get thinking you're Willie the welder go Tig young man Go Tig!! I will say it's not like riding abide to be a good welder you have to keep current by practicing occasionally.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast