Security

Harsh

Hey guys I'm a new jeep owner. I was curious if you ever leave your jeep unattended without the doors off at a store or something and have you ever had issues with people messing with your jeep?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

fiend

Caught the Bug
Tuffy sells a number of security products. Locking consoles, underseat drawers, etc. I have several of their products and have never had issues with theft.

Kyle7R

I do rarely leave much of anything in my Jeep, I lock the console and glovebox just to keep honest people honest.

Unless we are out either on our way to, or from an outing...in which case my wife or myself stay with the Jeep. Plus our two "ferocious" dogs chillin' in the back.

Vinnielax

I leave my glove box and center console empty and unlocked. I had an aftermarket mod installed to create a "trunk" space secured by the tail gate and leave any valuables in there or the storage compartment. If it's locked, someone may break it open.

BaddestCross

I leave as little as possible in the Jeep and lock what I can up in the glovebox... The console was damaged by a break-in before I bought it, so it doesn't lock. I also have full coverage insurance, so there's that. 😎

All that said, I haven't had anyone mess with my Jeep or my stuff YET, but I always prepare myself for the worst every time I have to leave her somewhere. 😔

Sent from my SM-N915P using WAYALIFE mobile app

gheller

As Fiend stated, Tuffy makes some locking storage compartments for the Jeep but other than that wouldn't leave anything valuable inside if it's open with doors off.

I have heard of someone finding a homeless guy sleeping in their Jeep so there is always that to consider.

Trail JK

For the most part it's not a good idea to store anything too valuable. I'd say a good majority of people leave the compartments that do lock unlocked so that way if someone breaks in they don't break anything open like the center console and glove box. As mentioned Tuffy makes a couple of good security items.

aermid

I've always just locked the center console and glove. I just put a soft top on and I don't bother locking the doors anymore anyways. I plan to get a locker for the trunk. This will definitely be the tidiest car you've ever owned because you'll never keep much in it that can't fit into a locked compartment.

I've had a bike bag, or groceries in the back that I've left unattended. My finance and I just go by the rule if we have something in there and someone steals it then they must have needed it more than us :). I just never keep anything in there that I couldn't afford to lose. So far I haven't had any issues. I get more worried sometimes with a manual that someone will pop it into neutral and take the parking break off; if they really want to mess with it, but so far no issues.

--Erin

Frydaddy

I go by the "Out of sight, Out of mind" mantra. Empty the jeep, lock the consoles, and cover the cargo area.
IMG_20160306_192452138.jpg

I even go so far as remove some things from the obvious glove box and put them under the seat in some Molle bags, hooked to the seat adjustment bar

Im a little surprised this hasn't gone anywhere yet
IMG_20160923_072516946.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
Our old neighborhood had a rash of car breakins one night and I was talking to the cop the next day. He said nearly all the car breakins in town (which happen over and over again from time to time) are either doors left unlocked or items left in plain sight. He said this is pretty much every car that's broken into. He said even stupid meth-heads will break a window if they see change in a cupholder.

We don't really keep anything of value in our vehicles, and if we do, we make sure it's out of sight as already stated.

Harsh

Awesome, thank you guys. Dad had me paranoid about things as simple as the sound system and what not, we have a bit of a heroine problem in our area.

Kyle7R

I've always just locked the center console and glove. I just put a soft top on and I don't bother locking the doors anymore anyways. I plan to get a locker for the trunk. This will definitely be the tidiest car you've ever owned because you'll never keep much in it that can't fit into a locked compartment.

I've had a bike bag, or groceries in the back that I've left unattended. My finance and I just go by the rule if we have something in there and someone steals it then they must have needed it more than us :). I just never keep anything in there that I couldn't afford to lose. So far I haven't had any issues. I get more worried sometimes with a manual that someone will pop it into neutral and take the parking break off; if they really want to mess with it, but so far no issues.

--Erin
Most people these days don't know how a manual transmission works.

Jackal01

45 shell casings on the passenger seat and spent shotgun shells on the floor is the best deterrent I have found.

Or best reason to tear it apart looking for the guns. I wouldn't want anyone to know whether or not i have those toys. But, I guess my life member NRA decals aren't any better.

I keep all my expensive stuff in the under seat drawer. Or under the custom rear deck.

fiend

Caught the Bug
I go by the "Out of sight, Out of mind" mantra. Empty the jeep, lock the consoles, and cover the cargo area.
View attachment 267598

I even go so far as remove some things from the obvious glove box and put them under the seat in some Molle bags, hooked to the seat adjustment bar

Im a little surprised this hasn't gone anywhere yet
View attachment 267597

Is that one of those astronaut pens that writes upside down? I would definitely swipe that if I had the chance.

Frydaddy

Is that one of those astronaut pens that writes upside down? I would definitely swipe that if I had the chance.

Its a Morakniv Swedish knife. Pretty cheap, but the quality is outstanding!, I changed the mounting after this picture, no more zipties.

Top Bottom