2017 JKU Gobi

RSQCON

I didn't chronicle the build as much as I would have liked but here's a quick synopsis.

1/13/17 Jeep order placed
2/17/17 Dynatrac Hardcore order placed
3/19/17 picked up Jeep from dealership
6/1/17 Dynatrac Hardcore axles picked up
6/5/17 Jeep, axles and wheels/tires dropped off at ORE
6/14/17 Jeep picked up from ORE

While waiting for the axles to be completed we took the Jeep to the 51st EJS and ran it stock. We ran Poison Snyder, Fins N Things and Hells Revenge. It performed flawlessly and we were very surprised at how capable it was in stock form. While at EJS I was able to meet with a number of vendors and placed orders for rear corners and fenders.
IMG_0533.jpg

Upon returning from EJS I started communicating with a couple shops and ultimately settled on taking my Jeep down to ORE for the suspension install so loaded up the Jeep and Dynatrac axles on the trailer and headed to California.
IMG_0534.jpg

I should mention that prior to taking her down to California I installed the front and rear Savvy bumpers. Everything was installed but left raw for the time being.
IMG_0536.jpg
IMG_0545.jpg

Drew at ORE was great to work with. I had a tight timeline due to the axles not arriving in the quoted timeframe but in the end it all worked out. ORE ended up needing the Jeep longer than originally anticipated but I had a feeling that was coming so I was prepared for that as well. I couldn't be there to pick the Jeep up myself so a buddy of mine ended up getting it for me. Here's how she looked rolling out of the shop.
IMG_0544.jpg

A couple days after taking possession of her my buddy and I ran John Bull and Gold Mountain up in Big Bear. No issues other than getting use to a big ole D60 hanging down in the rear end and the front passenger tire kept ripping the flare off.
IMG_0150.jpg
IMG_0147.jpg

While all this was going down parts were rolling in so after the Big Bear run we started working on fitting the Gen Right rear corners. These corners start off as AEV corners and Gen Right extends them to run the entire rear quarter panel. While more expensive than just about any other corner I prefer these as they follow the body lines including the top bevel. One challenge we faced was modifying the passage side corner to work with the Evo Pro series hinged tire carrier. Not being able to leave well enough alone we changed out the hardware and countersunk everything.
IMG_0546.jpg

After completing the rear corners I headed back home Jeep in tow where I continued working on installing and fitting the half doors, fender flares and sliders. Once that was complete anything and everything that needed paint or powder coat was sent out. Once everything was back it was a race to get it back on so we could get going for our trip.
IMG_3151.jpg

From there we had a couple days to complete the Jeep before we headed out for a 6 day trip in the Sierra National Forest. I was fortunate enough to have made a contact with Bestop at EJS and was one of the first to take delivery of one of their new colored tops.
DSC_0856.jpg
DSC_0950.jpg
DSC_0802.jpg
DSC_0877.jpg
IMG_0248.jpg

After a great trip we made it back home and gave her a good bath. We'll run the full doors on her until we leave for our trip up to the Rubicon in a couple weeks.
IMG_3178.jpg

There were a lot of parts that needed to be modified to work together like the rear corners and tire carrier or fitting the factory tow receiver to the Savvy bumper. Luckily I had some help along the way but I did most of the work myself including the armor and putting the beadlocks together. I did leave the suspension and axles work to the pros. If you have any questions about any of the stuff I used in my build don't hesitate to ask.

I've done a number of other small mods but here is a list of the bigger ticket items:
Evo Double D Pro
King bumpstops front and rear
Dynatrac 60/60
JE Reels driveshafts
37" BFG Krawlers on KMC Machete beadlock wheels
Savvy front and rear bumpers
Crawler Conceptz fenders
Evo Pro boatside bombers
Evo Pro hinged tire carrier w/ Rotopax and Hi-lift mount
Savvy half doors
Rockhard 4x4 C-pillar bars
ARB compressor and lockers
SPOD
Bestop SuperTop NX in Pebble Beige
Warn Zeon 10
Rigid SS Flood lights
Rotopax 3gal

Last edited:

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
Nice build! Doing it right the first time is the way to go. I've learned several lessons the hard way along my build. Great pictures to go along with the build and trips!

'07 JKUR ... mod'ing never stops...

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
Wanna swap bank accounts with me?? ;)

Lol, in all seriousness... great looking Jeep. That colored top looks awesome.

Top Bottom