First time winch owner questions (M8000)

WJIN4LO

I thought I would roll the winch line out tonight and see what it looks like and two issues:

1. It is bloody hard to free spool, it's almost as though as it keeps catching gears on the way out.

2. The drum is rusty AF as pictured.

IMG_20170907_201947.jpg

How toast is this thing?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Rust not good. But clean it up and respool. It's a warn. If there's any chance of survival, it will be with a warn.

WJCO

Meme King
Is that cost effective? Also how does it get so rusty the rest of the car is spotless, I assume a wet rope rolled up an never dried?

Wet rope and moisture can't escape. My zeon with aluminum drum gets corrosion too. I've only cleaned it once, but it was pretty nasty. About 3 years of use:

IMG_20160729_195840_690.jpg

IMG_20160729_195821_266.jpg

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
I thought I would roll the winch line out tonight and see what it looks like and two issues:

1. It is bloody hard to free spool, it's almost as though as it keeps catching gears on the way out.

2. The drum is rusty AF as pictured.

View attachment 275525

How toast is this thing?

it looks like it's due to be taken apart and cleaned up.

how does it sound when spooling in?

a new drum goes for around $110

How's the condition of the line?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So long as the drum isn't rusted through, I would just take the winch apart (super easy to do) and clean off the rust with a wire wheel before treating it with POR 15. While you're at it, change the seals if it's needed and grease up the planetary gears with some gun grease.

WJIN4LO

it looks like it's due to be taken apart and cleaned up.

how does it sound when spooling in?

a new drum goes for around $110

How's the condition of the line?
It sounds normal, and by normal I mean doesn't make any odd noises.

Most of the line looks good but the inner line is pretty hard, I think I will do as everyone says and pull it apart and give it a freshen up!

WJIN4LO

So long as the drum isn't rusted through, I would just take the winch apart (super easy to do) and clean off the rust with a wire wheel before treating it with POR 15. While you're at it, change the seals if it's needed and grease up the planetary gears with some gun grease.
Sounds like a plan! Did you have a guide on this? I had not spotted it while looking through the other ones :)

rumblebee3

Caught the Bug
To OP.... Agreed the same with Eddie. I took my winch apart and cleaned it all up and regreased it and it works great. The only thing I would add to what Eddie said was when I took my winch apart... I have cable. And from it being spooled up and an even the sides of the drum actually bent where it was touching the edges of the winch body and preventing it from spooling up freely. I had to take the drum and put it in a press and press the sides back down where they were supposed to be. Other than that you should be good with a good thorough cleaning and some Grease and wash the Rope really well. 👍

Sent from my XT1585 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom