Front tranfer case seal

Guascone

Hi, I replaced my front driveshaft with the Tom woods 1310.
Tranfer case side I had a problem. The OEM seal/gasket has a different diameter on yoke side. Tom Woods yoke is bigger than the OEM shaft…
Someone of you know how can I solve my issue? Should I replace the OEM seal with a commercial one?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Guascone

On the OEM driveshaft that lip was in contact with the shield...with out the shield there is no surface where it can have contact...do I need to search a new one?

blackrubi14

This si the gasket...what is the outside lip for?

View attachment 277218

That seal goes in the transfer case, if it's not leaking then there is no need to change it. The seal has a spring inside of it. The second pic of the new shaft installed looks right. Are you saying that the OEM seal that is currently in the t-case is not sealing around the new yoke?

JKbrick

On the OEM driveshaft that lip was in contact with the shield...with out the shield there is no surface where it can have contact...do I need to search a new one?

Sorry was at a football game. Your pic you posted looks normal to me. I'm pretty sure you don't need that shield to contact the lip of the seal. The seal seals on the yoke

Last edited:

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
As others have said that shield is to keep dust/debris away from the seal its self. It is a third measure. The seal its self already has a double lip inner oil seal outer wiper seal. Most people that run aftermarket shafts ditch the shield and don't give it a second thought.

Top Bottom