1350 yoke making contact with gas tank skid

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Hi all,
While washing my Jeep after my recent wheeling trip I noticed a dent in my factory gas tank skid. It looks like the the yoke is rubbing on the skid when the rear passenger wheel is at full stuff. (I think [emoji848])

IMG_5942.jpg
IMG_5944.jpg
IMG_5946.jpg
IMG_5949.jpg

The only part that I can tell is rubbing is the yoke but the dent looks much bigger than those little scuffs on the yoke. Also it doesn’t look like the ears (at ujoint) on the driveshaft itself make contact.
Here’s the only visible rubbing part on the yoke.
IMG_5945.jpg

Possible solutions I can think of:
1. Add more bump stop, which I don’t really want to do.
2. Give the skid a little persuasion with the BFH to allow for more clearance.

Did anybody run into this problem before? Is it ok to beat on the skid with the BFH at this spot? Any tips and comments appreciated. [emoji869]

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Pretty normal. If you have an adjustable track bar, shift your axle over a bit. If not or if you're already centered, take a BFH and pound in your skid to clearance it. :yup:

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Pretty normal. If you have an adjustable track bar, shift your axle over a bit. If not or if you're already centered, take a BFH and pound in your skid to clearance it. :yup:

I don’t have adjustable track bar. I have AEV axle bracket and track bar. I have to take the spring out to get to the bolt to make any adjustments on he bracket. BFH sounds like a easier solution lol, since I already know where it needs a little more persuasion. I just wasn’t sure if it’s ok to bang the skid at this spot. Thanks Eddie!!!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I don’t have adjustable track bar. I have AEV axle bracket and track bar. I have to take the spring out to get to the bolt to make any adjustments on he bracket. BFG sounds like a easier solution lol, since I already know where it needs a little more persuasion. I just wasn’t sure if it’s ok to bang the skid at this spot. Thanks Eddie!!!

LOL! Oh yeah, bang away. You might find it easier to get a bigger stroke if you pull the shaft from the pinion though. Why does that sound wrong? [emoji848] 🤣

WJCO

Meme King
LOL! Oh yeah, bang away. You might find it easier to get a bigger stroke if you pull the shaft from the pinion though. Why does that sound wrong? [emoji848] 🤣

Lol. I'm over here laughing and read this to my wife, she just gave me that look and asked "Is it really that funny?"

jeeeep

Hooked

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Pulled the shaft out the pinion. Stepped back a little for some good long strokes and banged it out.
Ball pein hammer helped a ton with directing the strikes exactly where I wanted, still a little tight to do with the yoke on but hopefully it’ll do 🤞

IMG_5990.jpg
IMG_5992.jpg

Cleaned it up with some aceton and squirted some paint on there so I can easily tell if it makes contact again.
IMG_5994.jpg
IMG_5995.jpg
IMG_5996.jpg

Good workout [emoji106]

dillard09

Very nice! Mine started doing it really bad on the trail one day. Had to stop and do the same thing, beat on it with a BFH. Good thing I had some help that day. tapatalk_1502064153222.jpeg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Pulled the shaft out the pinion. Stepped back a little for some good long strokes and banged it out.
Ball pein hammer helped a ton with directing the strikes exactly where I wanted, still a little tight to do with the yoke on but hopefully it’ll do 🤞

Cleaned it up with some aceton and squirted some paint on there so I can easily tell if it makes contact again.

Good workout [emoji106]

See how easy that was :crazyeyes: Nice job :thumb:

2011jk

You can also cut out and rehang that area if needed, I had to for the PR80.

Attachments

• IMG_1885.jpg
    IMG_1885.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 25
Top Bottom