EVAP System Problem

Jacalore

2007 JK X
GASCAP alert appeared on dash. Removed, reinstalled gas cap, no help. Hit the reset button and drove around with it. Everytime I'd start the Jeep, I'd get the GASCAP alert. Then after a couple days, the engine light came on. Hooked up a scanner and it read PO457 error EVAP. Cleared the code, and the neither the alert nor the engine light has come back.

But, whenever I get gas, the nozzle cuts off after a couple seconds. The attendant (NJ, we can't pump our own!) has to stay there to hold the pump trigger engaged. I'm thinking these two problems are connected. EVAP system, vapors, etc.

Advice?
TIA!

BaddestCross

2007 JK X
GASCAP alert appeared on dash. Removed, reinstalled gas cap, no help. Hit the reset button and drove around with it. Everytime I'd start the Jeep, I'd get the GASCAP alert. Then after a couple days, the engine light came on. Hooked up a scanner and it read PO457 error EVAP. Cleared the code, and the neither the alert nor the engine light has come back.

But, whenever I get gas, the nozzle cuts off after a couple seconds. The attendant (NJ, we can't pump our own!) has to stay there to hold the pump trigger engaged. I'm thinking these two problems are connected. EVAP system, vapors, etc.

Advice?
TIA!
Wipe down the gasket on the cap and the rim of the fill tube with some alcohol to clean it. Wipe a thin layer of Vasaline on the gasket to help seal it. Or buy a new gas cap. Don't bother with an aftermarket one, get one from the dealer.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Wipe down the gasket on the cap and the rim of the fill tube with some alcohol to clean it. Wipe a thin layer of Vasaline on the gasket to help seal it. Or buy a new gas cap. Don't bother with an aftermarket one, get one from the dealer.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

^^^^^This and also if you overfill your tank it can cause gas to leak into the canister and it's pretty much toast cause only vapors should go in there not gas thus destroying as it is designed to put those vapors back in the engine and make a cleaner and more efficient fuel burn.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I have been dealing with this code for a long time. Soon its going to the dealer to have them fix it.

Jacalore

I suspect it's more than just a dirty gascap gasket.
Can't help but feel the continuous gaspump shutoff has something to do with it. A buildup of vapor?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
2007 JK X

Advice?
TIA!

Common problem especially on older JK's like yours. If you've checked your gas cap and it looks good, take a look at your EVAP and remove the small white box attached to it. If the o-ring is cracked, replace it. If there's no o-ring on it, you can apply some RTV and reinstall. Your check engine light came on because it's detecting an EVAP leak and that's no big deal. You can clear it by disconnecting your battery for about 15-20 min.

jsukey

There is indeed a recall for the fuel filler hose. I had the recall done on mine earlier this year. It didn’t change the slow fueling one but though. Check the rollover valve to see if the little plastic hose connection has broken off. I kept having the Check Gas Cap light come on in my ‘07. Ended up finding that connector broken. The dealership will tell you that the whole tank has to be replaced. I repaired mine for less than $5. All you need is a small plastic dowel, available at almost any hardware store, some PVC primer and cement, and an 11/64 drill bit. You don’t even have to drop the tank to do it. Here are a videos on checking for it, and repairing it.

https://youtu.be/tHDetSZ-UEo

http://youtu.be/8q7MSKESk_A

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
Common problem especially on older JK's like yours. If you've checked your gas cap and it looks good, take a look at your EVAP and remove the small white box attached to it. If the o-ring is cracked, replace it. If there's no o-ring on it, you can apply some RTV and reinstall. Your check engine light came on because it's detecting an EVAP leak and that's no big deal. You can clear it by disconnecting your battery for about 15-20 min.

This.... it's like 15-20 bucks too so if cleaning it doesn't work just replace it. Leak detect module

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom