Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Psc Big bore

Psc Big bore

So I decided since I had to replace the gear box on my Jeep due to the sector shaft braking from an accident, i would pay the difference out of pocket to get the big bore installed instead. First thing I noticed right away was how much slower the steering was. Not a bad thing but something you would have to get used to. Jeeps steering feels much more solid, firm, and the steering response is a huge difference. If you turn the wheel an inch you feel your wheels move so slightly. I don’t have that play feeling in the steering wheel anymore. I do have 40’s and the big bore is recommended for 37’s but I am happy with the improvements so far I have to wheel it soon to see the real difference. The website recommends you upgrade the steering bump as well to their high flow pump and I will do that down the line and see if it makes a difference as well. Overall I am happy with the upgrade and recommended it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Nice! Thanks for the honest review. I kind of wonder if some of what you're feeling will loosen up over time kind of the way new ball joints do. Please keep us up to date as time goes on.

My XDII box felt tight when I first installed it. It did loosen up quite a bit and feels more comfortable now. I have in for about 2-3 months now, it is a big improvement over stock on the trail. I also upgraded my drag link and tie rod. I am not running a ram, I might add the PSC pump down the road when I have some money burning a hole in my pocket. I believe it will make some difference since it has more flow.

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    Nice! Thanks for the honest review. I kind of wonder if some of what you're feeling will loosen up over time kind of the way new ball joints do. Please keep us up to date as time goes on.
    I was wondering the same, I just assumed because it was new it was still tight. I will keep post as it is an affordable way to upgrade the steering without doing a complete hydro assist.

My XDll loosened up as well. Tight like a full size truck for the first month, then it loosened up. It’s still heavier in feel than a stock gear, but it should be for how large it is.

2015 JKU Rubicon AEV JK350
    1985 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler

Knows a Thing or Two Tylersilverjku's Avatar
    Happy to say I have the Psc XD and I love it! Like others it loosens up definitely. Steering is tight and very responsive! I just wish I could’ve upgraded to the pump etc at once. But overall WAY better than stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Tylersilverjku View Post
    Happy to say I have the Psc XD and I love it! Like others it loosens up definitely. Steering is tight and very responsive! I just wish I could’ve upgraded to the pump etc at once. But overall WAY better than stock.

Yea me too, I didn’t realize they recommended the pump with the box at first I would have Just bit the bullet and done it. But we live and learn I’m going to try and get it done as soon as I can.

I'm looking at this and I see that PSC recommends their pump, according to them there is very little gain in using the Big bore with the OEM pump. What is the veredict on this, at $~800 this looks like a worthy upgrade, at $1200 it takes a bit longer to be put on the must do list

Quote Originally Posted by jorgelrod View Post
    I'm looking at this and I see that PSC recommends their pump, according to them there is very little gain in using the Big bore with the OEM pump. What is the veredict on this, at $~800 this looks like a worthy upgrade, at $1200 it takes a bit longer to be put on the must do list
    I did not install the pump, but there is a massive gain in the ease of turning when off-road with the XDll-r. I’m not sure if the pump will take it to another level, but it works great with out the pump.

2015 JKU Rubicon AEV JK350
    1985 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler

I have the whole shebang.

The Resevior
    The XDII-R box
    The XD Pump
    1.75" Ram Cylinder

Plus the Goodies:
    Pressure Hose Conversion
    1/2" Return line/Cooler Kit

The Jeep Drives just fine. And there is plenty of turning power when asked. I also noticed actual wheel turning increased. The box seems to be about 1.75 turns from center to full lock rather than the factory 1.5 turns. which is fine. Also the dead spot in the factory steering wheel setup (play in the steering wheel) is completely gone.

HOWEVER, I do still experience the "drag" when maneuvering in a parking lot, so the pump, big return line, etc does not solve that despite seeing it mentioned to do so all over the forum. Perhaps the results are different for guys running the normal box or the 1.5" Ram Cylinder who then install the big line kit, But I can not comment. I drove Mike_JK_Houston's rig around before Installing my PSC kit, while his jeep is on 60s & 40s, and is running the Standard PSC kit without the big line upgrade; It feels nearly Identical to my setup in tight parking lot maneuvers.

The setup is great, I'm glad I have it. But at the end of the day, having driven both, I feel I would have been just as happy with the standard PSC Cylinder Assist Kit. I see no additional benefit in steering performance over the standard kit so far, aside from the fact that the box is huge, so if I ever have an issue with the ram, I will be able to pull it and still have decent steering in the rocks, which is a plus. the sector shaft is MASSIVE, so if/when running without the ram, no worries there. Aside from that

IF redundancy is important, and the price difference remains negligible on the scale, I'ed still recommend the XD kit to a friend; if just for the benefits stated above. But again, the standard kit seems to be pretty on par when everything is working together as it should.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast