Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bear's Ears and Grand Staircase-Escalante

Bear's Ears and Grand Staircase-Escalante

I'm curious to hear your thoughts on reducing the size of Bears Ears National Monument by 85% & Grand Staircase by 50% today...I'm especially interested in members comments that live in Utah...

Quote Originally Posted by Brute View Post
    I'm curious to hear your thoughts on reducing the size of Bears Ears National Monument by 85% & Grand Staircase by 50% today...I'm especially interested in members comments that live in Utah...
    The Antiquities Act of 1906 was created to protect significant natural, cultural, or scientific features on public land. It was NEVER intended to be used as a tool that allowed presidents to administer wholesale land grabs to further their political cause. While there are legitimate reasons to preserve specific areas within the Bears Ears and Grand Staircase, the amount of land seized was unreasonable and to the point where locals and indigenous tribes were against it. Public land should remain public and in my opinion, this move is a good thing.

Also interested to hear Utah members comment

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    The Antiquities Act of 1906 was created to protect significant natural, cultural, or scientific features on public land. It was NEVER intended to be used as a tool that allowed presidents to administer wholesale land grabs to further their political cause. While there are legitimate reasons to preserve specific areas within the Bears Ears and Grand Staircase, the amount of land seized was unreasonable and to the point where locals and indigenous tribes were against it. Public land should remain public and in my opinion, this move is a good thing.
    Will the land remain public, or will it be exploited to benefit only a few who are granted permits for mineral/resource exploration and thus become private land in use?...

Will the land remain public, or will it be exploited to benefit only a few who are granted permits for mineral/resource exploration and thus become private land in use?...
    As I had read it, the land would remain PUBLIC.

All these companies *cough* cough* Patagonia and other ultra lib leaning are crying foul over this “anti public land” measure.

My question is. What was truly public of bears ear or grand stair case?
    I remember most of both of these locations are hours upon hours of driving on two lanes of black top with countless “this is a national monument stay on dedicated roads” signs.
    en hopup veritas

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    As I had read it, the land would remain PUBLIC.
    I have not read the update. Hope you are right. That said, money grabbing corps/industries have a way of making things happen. I'm not holding my breathe in it ALL staying "public" too long, should this actually go through.
    I think I may consider lifting my Jeep. Or not.
    The Evolution of ENVY

That was my concern too. Not really private either, but “exclusively leased” from the gov.

Quote Originally Posted by JAGS View Post
    I have not read the update. Hope you are right. That said, money grabbing corps/industries have a way of making things happen. I'm not holding my breathe in it ALL staying "public" too long, should this actually go through.
    I'd need for you to point out a specific example of where this has actually occurred for me to even take this seriously. Land use is something I am passionate about and in my lifetime, I have YET to see ANY entity other than the government seize massive swaths of land and typically, in the name of preservation. There's an area just south of the Kelso Sand Dunes called the Granite Mountains and after it was made a "National Wilderness Area" back in the 90's, parts of it were made so that you can't even walk on it. Public land needs to be protected FOR the people - not FROM the people.

Quote Originally Posted by MTG View Post
    That was my concern too. Not really private either, but “exclusively leased” from the gov.
    Outside of the dramatic rhetoric being published in the New York Times or the like, I have yet to see any evidence of ANY private entity that has sought out to exclusively lease any of this land prior to it becoming a national monument or here after. The most they can claim is that they're "at risk" and would "possibly" be opened to exploitation.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast