Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36

Thread: Bear's Ears and Grand Staircase-Escalante

  1. #1
    Addict Brute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    HI & WA
    Posts
    6,349

    Bear's Ears and Grand Staircase-Escalante

    I'm curious to hear your thoughts on reducing the size of Bears Ears National Monument by 85% & Grand Staircase by 50% today...I'm especially interested in members comments that live in Utah...

  2. #2
    Administrator wayoflife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Carson City, NV
    Posts
    51,300
    Quote Originally Posted by Brute View Post
    I'm curious to hear your thoughts on reducing the size of Bears Ears National Monument by 85% & Grand Staircase by 50% today...I'm especially interested in members comments that live in Utah...
    The Antiquities Act of 1906 was created to protect significant natural, cultural, or scientific features on public land. It was NEVER intended to be used as a tool that allowed presidents to administer wholesale land grabs to further their political cause. While there are legitimate reasons to preserve specific areas within the Bears Ears and Grand Staircase, the amount of land seized was unreasonable and to the point where locals and indigenous tribes were against it. Public land should remain public and in my opinion, this move is a good thing.

  3. #3
    Addict GraniteCrystal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    6,130
    Also interested to hear Utah members comment

  4. #4
    Addict Brute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    HI & WA
    Posts
    6,349
    Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    The Antiquities Act of 1906 was created to protect significant natural, cultural, or scientific features on public land. It was NEVER intended to be used as a tool that allowed presidents to administer wholesale land grabs to further their political cause. While there are legitimate reasons to preserve specific areas within the Bears Ears and Grand Staircase, the amount of land seized was unreasonable and to the point where locals and indigenous tribes were against it. Public land should remain public and in my opinion, this move is a good thing.
    Will the land remain public, or will it be exploited to benefit only a few who are granted permits for mineral/resource exploration and thus become private land in use?...

  5. #5
    Administrator wayoflife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Carson City, NV
    Posts
    51,300
    Quote Originally Posted by Brute View Post
    Will the land remain public, or will it be exploited to benefit only a few who are granted permits for mineral/resource exploration and thus become private land in use?...
    As I had read it, the land would remain PUBLIC.

  6. #6
    Old Timer HighwayTrout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,190
    All these companies *cough* cough* Patagonia and other ultra lib leaning are crying foul over this “anti public land” measure.

    My question is. What was truly public of bears ear or grand stair case?
    I remember most of both of these locations are hours upon hours of driving on two lanes of black top with countless “this is a national monument stay on dedicated roads” signs.
    en hopup veritas

  7. #7
    Living the WAYALIFE JAGS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    11,028
    Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    As I had read it, the land would remain PUBLIC.
    I have not read the update. Hope you are right. That said, money grabbing corps/industries have a way of making things happen. I'm not holding my breathe in it ALL staying "public" too long, should this actually go through.
    I think I may consider lifting my Jeep. Or not.
    The Evolution of ENVY

  8. #8
    Living the WAYALIFE MTG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Reno eNVy
    Posts
    13,638
    Quote Originally Posted by Brute View Post
    Will the land remain public, or will it be exploited to benefit only a few who are granted permits for mineral/resource exploration and thus become private land in use?...
    That was my concern too. Not really private either, but “exclusively leased” from the gov.

  9. #9
    Administrator wayoflife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Carson City, NV
    Posts
    51,300
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGS View Post
    I have not read the update. Hope you are right. That said, money grabbing corps/industries have a way of making things happen. I'm not holding my breathe in it ALL staying "public" too long, should this actually go through.
    I'd need for you to point out a specific example of where this has actually occurred for me to even take this seriously. Land use is something I am passionate about and in my lifetime, I have YET to see ANY entity other than the government seize massive swaths of land and typically, in the name of preservation. There's an area just south of the Kelso Sand Dunes called the Granite Mountains and after it was made a "National Wilderness Area" back in the 90's, parts of it were made so that you can't even walk on it. Public land needs to be protected FOR the people - not FROM the people.

  10. #10
    Administrator wayoflife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Carson City, NV
    Posts
    51,300
    Quote Originally Posted by MTG View Post
    That was my concern too. Not really private either, but “exclusively leased” from the gov.
    Outside of the dramatic rhetoric being published in the New York Times or the like, I have yet to see any evidence of ANY private entity that has sought out to exclusively lease any of this land prior to it becoming a national monument or here after. The most they can claim is that they're "at risk" and would "possibly" be opened to exploitation.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The Grand Staircase Trail, Southern Utah
    By drrags in forum Destinations & Beyond
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-30-2017, 01:35 AM
  2. Isn't Life Grand ....
    By lil.blk.jeep.in4low in forum Jeep Show & Tell
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-19-2016, 08:01 PM
  3. My new Grand.
    By Jeepmed in forum Jeep Cherokee & Grand Cherokee
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-22-2015, 06:12 PM
  4. New Grand Wagoneer
    By stweasel in forum Jeepin Life
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-10-2015, 10:50 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-09-2014, 01:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
“wayoflife” is a moniker that I’ve been using for 20 years now and I chose it because I think it does a great job of explaining, in simple terms, the passion I have for Jeeps and the Jeep way of life. This is a lifestyle that transcends age, gender and race as the only thing you need to be a part of it is a love for the outdoors, a desire to explore, a yearning to take on a challenge and a will to conquer it. Over the years, Cindy and I have attempted to capture the essence of this lifestyle through photographs and videos and share it with others around the world. And, this is how WAYALIFE was born.
Join us
WATCH OUR VIDEOS