Gearing Question

JS-CHLLN

I have a 2010 wrangler Unlimited Sport in prep for going to 37's i want to regear. I was thinking of going to 5:33's. I was told that i can't go to 5:33 and keep the stock housing. So im curious is anyone running 5:33 with their stock housing or what is the highest would you suggest without having to change the stock housing. Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G935P using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
I think you mean 5.38s. I think the highest you can go on a HP 30 axle is 5.13s. Neither 37s nor 5.13s are really a good option for that axle. Upgrading the axle to a quality 44 or 60 is your safest option.

Battle Born JK

Im running 4.88 and 35's and ive heard by memebers of thos form thats the highest you want to be to be safe anything higher you want a 44 im currently saving for a pr44 to be safe to run 37 then I can run 513 . 538 is more of the 60 range. Big. Boys

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
5.38’s were made at one point for a D30 although to pretty dumb. 5.13’s would be better but still leave your pinion really small. I ran them for a while though.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have a 2010 wrangler Unlimited Sport in prep for going to 37's i want to regear. I was thinking of going to 5:33's. I was told that i can't go to 5:33 and keep the stock housing. So im curious is anyone running 5:33 with their stock housing or what is the highest would you suggest without having to change the stock housing. Thanks in advance

As mentioned, with 37's, you'll want 5.13 gears. 5.38 is the right ratio for 40's. That being said, the pinion for a 5.13 in a Dana 30 will be quite small - not something I would do.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
As mentioned 5.13 in a D30 will leave you with a very small pinion. Creating a week link inside your diff. This is why I waited to go to 37s till after I did my PR44.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JS-CHLLN

Thanks for the feedback, i think i may wait a little longer, although down here in florida and mostly trails, have a trip planned to Pa, in march then Colorado in July and the last thing i want to be doing is a half ass job.

Top Bottom