Axle shaft removal

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
As some may know, I broke an axle shaft on the trail a few weeks back. Wasn’t in a spot that I had the ability to pull the shaft right then so i decided to leave it to get off the short trail and trailered it home. (Broken tie rod too)

Fast forward to now and I’m at home trying to pull the broken axle shaft but it’s broke about 4” inside the tube. Anyone have any suggestions to get it out? Tried pliers but I can’t get enough grip or leverage...

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked
As some may know, I broke an axle shaft on the trail a few weeks back. Wasn’t in a spot that I had the ability to pull the shaft right then so i decided to leave it to get off the short trail and trailered it home. (Broken tie rod too)

Fast forward to now and I’m at home trying to pull the broken axle shaft but it’s broke about 4” inside the tube. Anyone have any suggestions to get it out? Tried pliers but I can’t get enough grip or leverage...

Tip the jeep in the side and hit the opposite tire (like getting water out of your ear)? All kidding aside is there any way to access it from the differerential? Might have to pull the carrier and things to push it out from the inside. If that's the only way may be a good idea to replace the axle seal while you're in there.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
Tip the jeep in the side and hit the opposite tire (like getting water out of your ear)? All kidding aside is there any way to access it from the differerential? Might have to pull the carrier and things to push it out from the inside. If that's the only way may be a good idea to replace the axle seal while you're in there.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji1303] well the other side still has the tire, so I could tip the axle!!

That’s my fear though, and I haven’t pulled a carrier before so I’m not even sure that’s something I should tackle...

TrailHunter

Hooked
Just brainstorming here:

1. reach inside with something and clean the end with a rag..... then JB Weld a scrap rod to the broken end and Pull out once it sets up...

2. Not sure what the gear assembly looks like, but is it possible to remove the other side then Push it out?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji1303] well the other side still has the tire, so I could tip the axle!!

That’s my fear though, and I haven’t pulled a carrier before so I’m not even sure that’s something I should tackle...

Unfortunately, you will most likely have to pull the carrier. Basically, pull the other shaft, remove the diff cover and then remove the bearing caps making sure to remember which one came off of where. You will need a pry bar to help coax it out and while not required, a second set of hands will help a lot especially being that you still have a piece of shaft stuck in it. Make sure to be mindful of any shims that come out with it and make note of where they belong. You should be able to just reassemble things as they came out when done and tighten the bearing caps to torque spec.

RedRocker

If you have access to a stick welder it can be removed by inserting pvc pipe inside the axle tube (to prevent contact of the weld rod with the axle tube) and then touch the end of the broke axle shaft with the "hot" weld rod. You should then be able to pull the broken shaft out with the weld rod.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you have access to a stick welder it can be removed by inserting pvc pipe inside the axle tube (to prevent contact of the weld rod with the axle tube) and then touch the end of the broke axle shaft with the "hot" weld rod. You should then be able to pull the broken shaft out with the weld rod.

Yup. Assuming the splines aren't twisted to the point where they're jammed in the carrier, this works well :yup:

USMMA11NC

Caught the Bug

If you have a friend who has a stick welder then you could possibly weld a piece of rebar to the broken shaft. Either pull on the rebar or use a slide hammer to pull it out.

Edit: beat to the punch while typing a response.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked

^^^^^this. But as Eddie mentioned it could be a bitch.

fiend

Caught the Bug

Get some nylon cord and loop a clove hitch around the end if he shaft if you can reach it. Then pull the cord, maybe with aid of a slide hammer or similar.

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
Get some nylon cord and loop a clove hitch around the end if he shaft if you can reach it. Then pull the cord, maybe with aid of a slide hammer or similar.

This could be an idea too. I won’t have my new shafts for a bit as I might be changing my mind again on directions I want to go, so I gave up for the weekend and worked on a few other things on the jeep seeing as I didn’t have another set of hands available

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
Update! On Saturday I ended getting it out. I was able to reach in there with a mig gun and weld some rebar to the shaft. Tried a few different approaches and 2 versions of a home made slide hammer. Ended up welding a second piece of rebar on the end of the first like a T and used a UTV hitch mount as the slide hammer. Got it all out, pulled the carrier and changed the axle seals and got the carrier back in. Image1514917236.988668.jpg

fiend

Caught the Bug
Update! On Saturday I ended getting it out. I was able to reach in there with a mig gun and weld some rebar to the shaft. Tried a few different approaches and 2 versions of a home made slide hammer. Ended up welding a second piece of rebar on the end of the first like a T and used a UTV hitch mount as the slide hammer. Got it all out, pulled the carrier and changed the axle seals and got the carrier back in. View attachment 288305

Some hillbilly engineering there. Love it. Glad you figured out a solution.

Top Bottom