Re-gear for a 6-speed 2010 JKU Sport?

lexiNC

I'm on stock axles (D30 front/D44 rear), 3.73 gearing, 3.8 "powerplant," 6-speed manual, and just moved up to 315/70R17 BFG KO2s. I'm wondering if I would benefit from going to 4.56 or 4.88, and if so, which one, why, and what would I immediately notice about a new gear ratio?

I enjoy driving fast, but that is what my (future) motorcycle will be for, so having a sluggish 4x4 is a non-issue for me, really. The little ricer with his unnecessarily loud exhaust may beat me off the line at the stoplight, but I will literally leave him in the dust on a completely different kind of line, and that's what matters to me.

So speed or acceleration gains aren't important; rather, will a re-gear help when navigating obstacles on the trail?

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using WAYALIFE mobile app

jknikos

3.8 6speed and 35s with 4.88 is a bit low for my taste. I went with 4.56 gears. On-road is great, off road I would prefer a liitle more low gears but I guess having a sport transfer case (2.8:1) doesn't help. Note that mine is a lighter 2dr.

WJCO

Meme King

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
First off, 315's are a big 35. Back in the day, I ran my 35's with 5.13 and that was too high of a ratio for such a small tire. For me, I think 4.88 with a 6-speed would have been a much better fit. That being said and if I'm reading correctly and you ALREADY have 4.56, I wouldn't waste any money upgrading. The difference would hardly be worth it.

jknikos

First off, 315's are a big 35. Back in the day, I ran my 35's with 5.13 and that was too high of a ratio for such a small tire. For me, I think 4.88 with a 6-speed would have been a much better fit. That being said and if I'm reading correctly and you ALREADY have 4.56, I wouldn't waste any money upgrading. The difference would hardly be worth it.
I already have 4.56 so i will stick with that! Thanks!

Sent from my LG-D855 using WAYALIFE mobile app

lexiNC

Thanks, guys, for all the replies. I have been researching this for a while, but had never tapped the WAL knowledge base. These replies confirm my gut feeling about this, so thanks. Also, I had run into those charts before and thought, oh, how perfect! but then ran into opinions about them that essentially said they're good for ballparking, and i needed something more definitive than "ballpark."

So with a lower gear ratio on the trails, will it help me ease into obstacles? I feel like i bounce around far too much when starting up/over them. Or do i just need to learn how to drive better? 😂

lexiNC (Doug with the 2010 JKU)

Top Bottom