Thread: Currie Johnny Joint will not take grease

Currie Johnny Joint will not take grease

I have one Johnny Joint that just will not take any grease. I tried backing the nipple off slightly. nothing. oh well, i guess it is time to replace with the low profile ones anyway.

Nothing but a Thing tdougherty81's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGrendel View Post
    I have one Johnny Joint that just will not take any grease. I tried backing the nipple off slightly. nothing. oh well, i guess it is time to replace with the low profile ones anyway.
    Are you able to work the joint around? I had one not taking grease. Pulled the arm off, stuck in a vise and worked it around. It was able to take grease after that.
    2013 JKU Rubicon Commando Green
    Hound
    Build Thread - http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?4...-Green-Rubicon

2016 BU Renegade Trailhawk Anvil
    Mamahawk
    Build Thread -

Sold-2008 JKU Red Rock Crystal Pearl
    RedRock
    Build Thread - http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?2...dRockJKU-Build

Are you feeling zero resistance on grease gun or does grease gun feel solid like the handle won't move?
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

First off, you need to make sure you're using a gun with a high psi. Second, what tdougherty81 said should help. You may just have a dried up patch of grease stopping things up. But, a gun with a high psi should push past it.

Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    Are you feeling zero resistance on grease gun or does grease gun feel solid like the handle won't move?
    handle is solid. grease is building up in the hose. it's just not pushing into the joint. i don't seem to have a problem on any other joint.

What tdougherty81 said. But first, to avoid removing arm, try greasing at full stuff or full droop. Different position might allow grease to enter.
    Last edited by Slimebones; 01-30-2018 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slimebones View Post
    But first, to avoid removing arm, try greasing at full stuff or full droop. Different position might allow grease to enter.
    Yup, this works too.

Quote Originally Posted by Slimebones View Post
    What The Grendel said. But first, to avoid removing arm, try greasing at full stuff or full droop. Different position might allow grease to enter.
    Thanks for the tip. I’ll give it a try. 👍

Still went ahead and ordered low pro zerks.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrendel View Post
    handle is solid. grease is building up in the hose. it's just not pushing into the joint. i don't seem to have a problem on any other joint.

I just went through this literally last weekend. I dont know if it is necessary or not, but I unbolted each control arm, 1 at a time, cleaned them up with brake cleaner, then joint by joint, worked them around a good bit (I dont have a bench, So I used the mounts on the jeep) then I backed out the zerk to finger tight, greased them, tightened the zerks back to a "logical torque" (mine seemed like they were assembled CRAZY tight. surprised they weren't stripped... anyway) then I worked the joint again, then reinstalled on the jeep. NONE of my joints would take grease when I started, ALL of them took grease in the end. AND no more annoying little creaks when getting in/out of the jeep. ... it's the little things, ya know?

Lucky! you only have ONE giving you trouble...
    Last edited by DWiggles; 01-30-2018 at 04:30 PM.

Plugged Zerk

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    Yup, this works too.
    I had a zerk that wouldn't take grease on one of my Prosteer Ball Joints. Took a nail with a sharp point and poked the little ball until it moved down. No problem taking grease after that.