Rough ride on washboard dirt roads

SunWolf

Went on several dirt roads last weekend and had to go very slow on a few of them to avoid vibrations that felt like my Jeep was about to self destruct. Aired down a bit and it was still bad. I saw Subaru’s and minivans going faster without a problem. I don’t think a minivan driver even bothers to air down so this was frustrating to have them going faster than I was since I’m in a Jeep. The washboard ridgy spots were a big problem, but when I got to rocky areas I was able to go through them with no problem at all. Why are the tiny washboard, dirt road ridges such a problem in a Jeep?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

SunWolf

Is your Jeep Stock? How low was your tire pressure?

It’s a Rubicon Hard Rock. I started off with the tires at 36 which is where they usually are and went down to 32. Just didn’t see why anything around 10-15 mph would make the jeep shake like crazy with those tiny dirt road ridges. I had been on lots of dirt roads, but these washboard ridges were something new to me and it caught me off guard.

TrailHunter

Hooked
It’s a Rubicon Hard Rock. I started off with the tires at 36 which is where they usually are and went down to 32. Just didn’t see why anything around 10-15 mph would make the jeep shake like crazy with those tiny dirt road ridges. I had been on lots of dirt roads, but these washboard ridges were something new to me and it caught me off guard.

32lbs is still high... get down to 18ish and I think you would feel a big difference. Disconnecting your sway bar would help as well.

Oreo_penguin536

Get a valve removal tool. Go into 4wp and say you need an air down tool or something to that effect and they will know what your talking about. Makes it 1000 times easier. For sure drop your pressure down to 18-15 and disconnect your sway.... even in my old yj with blown out shocks and leafs I was about to keep up with the bigger guys on 40s with bead locks no problem. At some parts hitting 45+mph with minimal issues.

zimm

Caught the Bug
Because you have solid axles. That's a lot of weight to go up and down quickly over little ripples. More energy transferred to the jeep and you. As mentioned airing down lets the tires take some of the hit out of the impact. If you want to float over washboard, get a Ford Raptor.

Robertcrav

Because you have solid axles. That's a lot of weight to go up and down quickly over little ripples. More energy transferred to the jeep and you. As mentioned airing down lets the tires take some of the hit out of the impact. If you want to float over washboard, get a Ford Raptor.
Ifs isnt the only way to go fast...there are many rigs built with a solid front axle that work just fine in the rough stuff at speed

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

zimm

Caught the Bug
Ifs isnt the only way to go fast...there are many rigs built with a solid front axle that work just fine in the rough stuff at speed

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

You said "built". He's stock. Big difference. The minivan that went faster than him was probably due to the independent suspension. The other thing is just because it was going faster doesn't mean everyone in the minivan wasn't having their fillings rattled out of their teeth too.

SunWolf

Get a valve removal tool. Go into 4wp and say you need an air down tool or something to that effect and they will know what your talking about. Makes it 1000 times easier. For sure drop your pressure down to 18-15 and disconnect your sway.... even in my old yj with blown out shocks and leafs I was about to keep up with the bigger guys on 40s with bead locks no problem. At some parts hitting 45+mph with minimal issues.

Thanks

SunWolf

I’ll pass on a raptor. Don’t want to go fast. Was just surprised that I couldn’t go about 10 mph on a dirt road that looks flat until you encounter ripples and the Jeep starts shaking like crazy. Will air down much more next time. Thanks.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Went on several dirt roads last weekend and had to go very slow on a few of them to avoid vibrations that felt like my Jeep was about to self destruct. Aired down a bit and it was still bad. I saw Subaru’s and minivans going faster without a problem. I don’t think a minivan driver even bothers to air down so this was frustrating to have them going faster than I was since I’m in a Jeep. The washboard ridgy spots were a big problem, but when I got to rocky areas I was able to go through them with no problem at all. Why are the tiny washboard, dirt road ridges such a problem in a Jeep?

As others have mentioned, you need to drive faster. I'm pretty sure Mythbusters had even done an episode on this. Airing down to about 20 psi will help a lot too. The Subaru has IFS and that's why it was more comfortable to him. A Jeep Renegade will feel super comfortable at full street pressure too.

SunWolf

You said "built". He's stock. Big difference. The minivan that went faster than him was probably due to the independent suspension. The other thing is just because it was going faster doesn't mean everyone in the minivan wasn't having their fillings rattled out of their teeth too.

I did have a better experience on a different trail that was full of snow, ice and mud. Two vehicles stopped near a large icy slush puddle trying to figure out how to go around it while I went straight through it. Haha that was another thing that made me say “what?” I can go over rocky roads, through ice, snow, mud and large puddles of slush with no problem at all, but tiny little dirt road ripples makes my Jeep feel like it’s ready to just break apart. Those small ripples were something new to me.

black pearl

Hooked
I’ll pass on a raptor. Don’t want to go fast. Was just surprised that I couldn’t go about 10 mph on a dirt road that looks flat until you encounter ripples and the Jeep starts shaking like crazy. Will air down much more next time. Thanks.

The first washboard road I really encountered, was the road out to the racetrack in Death Valley. It's 25 miles out. At 15psi it was really rough feeling till I hit about 30-35 mph. At higher speeds your suspension is Abel to work more efficiently with the ridges in the road.

Top Bottom