Cooper STT Pros and ATX Beadlocks.

LO_Rex

Anyone else have a gap in their ring and rim when running Coopers and Chamber Pros? The ring is torqued to spec and I still have a small gap between the rim an the ring. I am worried that i pull out the inserts if i keep cranking them down. 20180310_185806.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Anyone else have a gap in their ring and rim when running Coopers and Chamber Pros? The ring is torqued to spec and I still have a small gap between the rim an the ring. I am worried that i pull out the inserts if i keep cranking them down. View attachment 295897

I have a gape between my rings and I’m torqued to 20lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Keep going. Torque spec is 24 ft/lbs as well. The ring will pull down. I suggest a star pattern when torquing.

zimm

Caught the Bug
I use 25 ft/lbs. Definitely check them every week for the first month. My bolts went a good 1/2 to full turn further after putting some miles on them each time I re-torqued. Then they settle in after awhile and I get lazy with the torque checks because they don't move much or at all.

LO_Rex

I use 25 ft/lbs. Definitely check them every week for the first month. My bolts went a good 1/2 to full turn further after putting some miles on them each time I re-torqued. Then they settle in after awhile and I get lazy with the torque checks because they don't move much or at all.
Do you torque them on the jeep or do you take them off and air them down first?

fiend

Caught the Bug
Well u r supposed to air them down. Reason being is if u break a bolt torquing it, a chain reaction can break many and it's like a bomb going off. That said I just stand away from ring and do it also.

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

I certainly hope my beadlocks are not one broken bolt away from catastrophic failure. [emoji44]

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone else have a gap in their ring and rim when running Coopers and Chamber Pros? The ring is torqued to spec and I still have a small gap between the rim an the ring. I am worried that i pull out the inserts if i keep cranking them down.

Let it sit over night and go over your bolts again. Take them all the way to 24 ft. lbs.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I certainly hope my beadlocks are not one broken bolt away from catastrophic failure. [emoji44]

It's not common but it can happen on ANY beadlock wheel. I personally know someone who's been hurt by this and it's the reason why you should NEVER stand in front of a newly installed beadlock ring when airing it up for the first time.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
It's not common but it can happen on ANY beadlock wheel. I personally know someone who's been hurt by this and it's the reason why you should NEVER stand in front of a newly installed beadlock ring when airing it up for the first time.
Agreed. It's very uncommon for sure.

It's also why you never reuse the bolts (except I think KMC says it's ok as they use bigger bolts). Had a friend reuse bolts. One broke on freeway at 70 and when the bolt broke about 6 more snapped in seconds, the tire blowing out actually bent the ring, and the tire damn near came off. Was scary to watch from behind but he slowed and got off road in a hurry. That said I still run beadlocks on my street jeep. Just good to know what can happen if u don't do what you are supposed to.

Last edited:

Ddays

Hooked
Agreed. It's very uncommon for sure.

It's also why you never reuse the bolts (except I think KMC says it's ok as they use bigger bolts). Had a friend reuse bolts. One broke on freeway at 70 and when the bolt broke about 6 more snapped in seconds, the tire blowing out actually bent the ring, and the tire damn near came off. Was scary to watch from behind but he slowed and got off road in a hurry. That said I still run beadlocks on my street jeep. Just good to know what can happen if u don't do what you are supposed to.

Good info. Do you recall what brand he was running?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So the bolts broke, not stripped the insert?

The bolts break. That is one of the things I like about KMC/ATX wheels - they have much BIGGER bolts and much THICKER rings. Both help to prevent a failure like this.

ka-bar

The bolts break. That is one of the things I like about KMC/ATX wheels - they have much BIGGER bolts and much THICKER rings. Both help to prevent a failure like this.

So what’s a good inspection schedule. I live where it doesn’t snow so no salt on the roads. I understand that you check torque periodically, but how often do you back out the bolts and check for corrosion? Do you replace all the bolts when you get new tires? I’m curious as I’m considering beadlocks on my build, and want to understand the best practices to use. I don’t mind extra maintenance or service, just want a clear picture. Thanks!

SDG

Caught the Bug
Yeah, I have no experience with other beadlocks to know what size they use, but if torquing a bolt to 20/30 ft lbs puts the bolt under so much stress it breaks which leads to a cascade failure of adjacent components it sounds like the design could use some 'optimization' haha.

Top Bottom