Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice on coils and shox

Advice on coils and shox

Hey guys, need some advice on shox and coils.

I'm currently running a 3" bds lift with fox 2.0 monotube shox.
    I have alot of body roll due to wear and tear as I had the lift for 3 years and my coils seem to have sagged abit.

Im looking for a 3.5" coils and and a set of shox.
    I was thinking of getting the aev coils and the falcon 3.3 piggyback shox but I have read some bad threads on here about TF so please feel free to speak your mind.

2ndly If I get 3.5" coils can I run 4"-6" shocks or will the shafts fk out cause they 2 long??? My budi has a set for sale so just need to know??

I'm from South Africa so it's a RHD Jeep and we don't have all the cool shit like you guys have made in America 😭

Sent from my SM-G950F using WAYALIFE mobile app

I hear of all the TF stuff, the falcons arenít that bad. Itís all outsourced anyways and many of the shocks out there all all made by the same manufacturer and just tuned specifically for a vendor and labeled. You should be fine if your choice is limited.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Pretty sure Rancho builds their shocks here in the USA. Maybe see if you could get ahold of a set of those.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Nothing but a Thing
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie hunter View Post
    Hey guys, need some advice on shox and coils.

I'm currently running a 3" bds lift with fox 2.0 monotube shox.
    I have alot of body roll due to wear and tear as I had the lift for 3 years and my coils seem to have sagged abit.

Im looking for a 3.5" coils and and a set of shox.
    I was thinking of getting the aev coils and the falcon 3.3 piggyback shox but I have read some bad threads on here about TF so please feel free to speak your mind.

2ndly If I get 3.5" coils can I run 4"-6" shocks or will the shafts fk out cause they 2 long??? My budi has a set for sale so just need to know??

I'm from South Africa so it's a RHD Jeep and we don't have all the cool shit like you guys have made in America 😭

I had those coils previously (BDS). They were horrible. I've also had some experiences with AEV and they tend to sag as well. I switched to 3.5 Rock Krawlers, much improved in my opinion. I also have the 4-6 Fox shocks on these and they don't unseat the coils. My BDS ones dropped out by about two inches. Didn't gain any lift though which was nice.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Samuelh3 View Post
    I hear of all the TF stuff, the falcons arenít that bad. Itís all outsourced anyways and many of the shocks out there all all made by the same manufacturer and just tuned specifically for a vendor and labeled. You should be fine if your choice is limited.

Ya the choices are, teraflex, falcon, fox, Rubicon express and metal cloak. That's about it. Fox resivoir shox are extremely expensive here.

Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    Pretty sure Rancho builds their shocks here in the USA. Maybe see if you could get ahold of a set of those.
    Will check if we have Rancho but I doubt it. I can order from states but the shipping price is mental. Extra 360 dollars just to ship a set of 513 gearing

Quote Originally Posted by JKDream View Post
    I had those coils previously (BDS). They were horrible. I've also had some experiences with AEV and they tend to sag as well. I switched to 3.5 Rock Krawlers, much improved in my opinion. I also have the 4-6 Fox shocks on these and they don't unseat the coils. My BDS ones dropped out by about two inches. Didn't gain any lift though which was nice.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Ya I'm not happy with the bds, I feel like I'm driving a wheelbarrow when I take corners, so much body roll. Everyone rants and raves about AEV in SA stating it's the best lift but I personally think it's over priced. I was looking at the rock crawlers on offroad elements page, looks pretty sweet. So you saying 3.5" coil will work with a 4-6" shock without anything getting damaged or coil slipping out??

Nothing but a Thing
    So you saying 3.5" coil will work with a 4-6" shock without anything getting damaged or coil slipping out??

It's cutting it really close, but mine do not. I was worried at first because half of the reason I swapped coils was due to them dropping out, but I didn't want to lose travel.
    Right now with this setup, at full bump I have a half inch of shock travel remaining, and full droop the coils are still slightly bound so they won't rotate in the cup.
    Going this route, you'll probably get about the most usable travel in a spring/shock setup. A lot of lifts have shocks that are too short.

** I can only speak for Rock Krawler 3.5 coils, I don't have experience with many others and these particular shocks.
    Last edited by JKDream; 03-19-2018 at 10:36 PM.

Ya I'm not happy with the bds, I feel like I'm driving a wheelbarrow when I take corners, so much body roll. Everyone rants and raves about AEV in SA stating it's the best lift but I personally think it's over priced. I was looking at the rock crawlers on offroad elements page, looks pretty sweet. So you saying 3.5" coil will work with a 4-6" shock without anything getting damaged or coil slipping out??

Well, I would be the last guy to debate personal experiences, so Iíll offer you mine. Iíve had a BDS 3 inch lift for three years, no sagging and it has maintained better than 3 inches in ride height at about 3.5 inches. Good ride and very compliant on the rocks. The kit didnít include rear sway bar links and I noticed the sway bar was pointed down with the stock links, even with the spacer they supplied. I took the spacer off and put Synergy adjustables on, resulting in less body roll with the bar set level. I also changed the track bar to an adjustable and with a raised bracket, the bar is almost horizontal which has helped a bit with body roll. The shocks werenít the best with the kit so when I mashed one of them, I have changed those. The coils are still shiny black after three Ohio winters. I probably carry 200-250lbs. of gear on the trail as well as a 37 inch spare and have never had a spring issue on the rocks.
    Iím not sure Iíll ever change them out unless I go to a 4 inch lift.
    Just my 2 cents

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

I was pretty much the same as you. Switched to 4Ē plush rides and front king 2.5s get here tomorrow. The plush rides and fox seem to ride nice. I rode in a Jeep that had the falcons and they seemed really nice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast