TESSA was on TV - NOVA : What are Animals Saying

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just got a message from my sister saying that she saw Tessa on a NOVA special called, "What are Animals Saying". I thought, WTF is she talking about and so I looked it up on NOVA's website and sure enough, at 3:44, there she was!

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/wonders/#what-animals-saying

Although, I do take issues with what the show was saying about her "only" knowing 4 toys. She knows a TON more than that and that's to say nothing about all the other cool things she can do. :yup:

Here's the original clip NOVA took from our YouTube channel.

:cool:

jeeeep

Hooked
Tessa's cool., I've thought about getting another border collie because of her, they're pretty damn smart!

PatyWagon

Smart, dependable, and honest. Wish there were more humans that could be trusted like that! Ohh she's beautiful also!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

benatc1

Hooked
Such a smart pup, I always tell people about the vid you showed me of her diving into her bin of toys and pulling out specific ones. Good to see her career is finally taking off lol!!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
We've owned other dogs in the past and as much as we loved them, they were no Tessa. While we were able to train them and teach them commands, Tessa LEARN words all on her own. She's even learned pronouns like "her" and "she" and knows when we use them in regards to her. She's also understands concepts like the word "soon". For instance, if she's bugging me to play with her, I can tell her soon and she'll lay down and wait for a bit. If I take too long, she'll remind me. Likewise, she can also communicate in her own way. For instance, if we're on a long drive and she needs something, she'll put her chin on my shoulder and I can ask her questions like, "do you need to go potty" or "are you thirsty - do you need some water" and if she is thirsty, she'll lick her chops. If she doesn't, she needs to go.

I should note that as awesome as Border Collies are, they can also be a holy terror. They are NOT meant to be yard dogs, most aren't good with kids and they REQUIRE a LOT of attention, tons of physical activity, discipline and most importantly, they need to LEARN things. Failure to do this and they become manic. It's the reason why so many end up in shelters and rescues.

JAGS

Hooked
My kids loved the original vid back when you put it out. I think my daughter likes off-roading with you guys because she knows Tessa will be there. Lol. Whatever it takes.

IMG_1262.jpg

Tessa is a an amazing dog. [emoji106]

I-Eat-Mud

That's so cool! My girlfriends dad has a couple of border collies he used to take all around the country doing Frisbee tournaments with. It blows my mind how smart those dogs are. He can simply tell them things like they were a person, and they just do it and know exactly what he's talking about.

Top Bottom