Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blown CV Boot?

Fresh Catch

Blown CV Boot?

Crawled under my 2016 JKU today to change the transfer case fluid at 60k miles. Noticed some black splatter behind the transfer case on the rear driveshaft. Is this a blown CV boot? Do I have to replace the driveshaft? I've got a 2.5 in AEV dualsport lift on a 2016 JKU.

You can replace just the boot but it will do it again. Might as well replace the shaft with a ujoint style.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Fresh Catch
    Thanks. Can you educate me a little? I'm assuming if I can use a wrench I can replace it myself. Should I buy new or look for used? Best place to get one new? Appreciate the help.

I should add this is a daily driver that sees a ton of highway miles.
    Last edited by lonestarnation; 05-12-2018 at 03:41 AM.

Fresh Catch
    My recommendation is check/fix your pinion angles.

My jeep, when new to me (two previous owners) had a horrible pro comp 4" lift that netted about 4.5. Both my drive shafts were starting to display what your pictures show. Once i dropped to a 2.5" lift and, as important dialed in caster/pinion angle no more spatter. ( i waited to clean grease splatter until after fixing the geometry as a control study). Hope my experience helps.

Sent from my SM-G935P using WAYALIFE mobile app

Fresh Catch
    After a fair amount of research, I'm gonna give the Teraflex RZeppa a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by lonestarnation View Post
    After a fair amount of research, I'm gonna give the Teraflex RZeppa a shot.
    Please don't waste your money on that POS assuming it's still being sold. The reason why your CV boot fail is because your drive shaft is now sitting at a steep enough angle that the boot will be in a constant state of pinch and this is causing the boot to fail prematurely. The right solution is to replace your shaft with a double cardan style one but if you're okay with replacing CV boots on a regular basis, I would recommend that you just get the Omix-Ada rebuild kit:

https://amzn.to/2IfRR9T

Nothing but a Thing RESURECTIONJK's Avatar

Blown CV Boot?

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    Please don't waste your money on that POS assuming it's still being sold. The reason why your CV boot fail is because your drive shaft is now sitting at a steep enough angle that the boot will be in a constant state of pinch and this is causing the boot to fail prematurely. The right solution is to replace your shaft with a double cardan style one but if you're okay with replacing CV boots on a regular basis, I would recommend that you just get the Omix-Ada rebuild kit:

https://amzn.to/2IfRR9T
    ^^^this^^^ when mine went to shit, I didn’t even mess around with the boots again. Bought some Adams drive shafts and called it a day. Buy once cry once.

Quote Originally Posted by RESURECTIONJK View Post
    ^^^this^^^ when mine went to shit, I didn’t even mess around with the boots again. Bought some Adams drive shafts and called it a day. Buy once cry once.
    Agree^^^ I tried the teraflex fix, didn’t last long at all.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Nothing but a Thing RESURECTIONJK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesC View Post
    Agree^^^ I tried the teraflex fix, didn’t last long at all.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Just like in true teraflex fashion lol. I’m nearly rid of my teraflex parts on the Jeep. A couple more little things

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast