Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HOW TO FIX a JK Wrangler interior door handle doesn’t work - WRITE UP

HOW TO FIX a JK Wrangler interior door handle doesn’t work - WRITE UP

Well, here’s one for the masses. For a long while my auto door lock wouldn’t work right on the drivers door. Works on the other three doors. Every now and then the lock itself would get jammed up and I’d have to manually and with some force move the interior lock lever to unlocked and locked to get the handle to work.

Long story long, the other day it jammed up. As I was manually getting the lock lever to open and close it finally worked right. Well, with a new problem. The interior handle now does nothing. The lock works again with the fob. And the exterior handle button opens the door.

Any idea on what to fix? I’d obviously have to open up the door inside, but I’m not about to do that before knowing what I might be getting into. Though I dread the expense, is it better to have the dealer look at it??

UPDATE 08/18/18 - Click on the link below to see the FIX and HOW TO DO IT YOURSELF:
    https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/...=1#post1069460
    I think I may consider lifting my Jeep. Or not.
    The Evolution of ENVY

If you don't want to have to pay to have someone fix it, you'll need to remove the interior trim panel and see what's going on. More than likely, you have a bag link bushing.

It is a pretty simple system. I wouldn't be scared to pull it apart and investigate. It breaks down to a handle, either a rod or cable (not Jeep specific) from there to the latch, and the latch mechanism. The worst part is usually getting the door panel off because of the plastic pins.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

This

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I can think of 01 Solution:

IMG_8600.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    If you don't want to have to pay to have someone fix it, you'll need to remove the interior trim panel and see what's going on. More than likely, you have a bag link bushing.
    Any idea on where I can find a door diagram to know what parts are there and what might be bad when I open it up? Guess it’s a good thing I have jeep #2.

Quote Originally Posted by Bierpower View Post
    It is a pretty simple system. I wouldn't be scared to pull it apart and investigate. It breaks down to a handle, either a rod or cable (not Jeep specific) from there to the latch, and the latch mechanism. The worst part is usually getting the door panel off because of the plastic pins.

Happen to know where I can find instructions on opening the door panel?

Quote Originally Posted by TrailHunter View Post
    I can think of 01 Solution:

IMG_8600.JPG
    Lol, that’s not too far from what I had to do in the Home Depot parking lot when I arrived and found out the handle didn’t work. Luckily the outside handle worked.
    The Evolution of ENVY

Knows a Thing or Two Seahawkfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGS View Post
    Any idea on where I can find a door diagram to know what parts are there and what might be bad when I open it up? Guess it’s a good thing I have jeep #2.

Happen to know where I can find instructions on opening the door panel?

Lol, that’s not too far from what I had to do in the Home Depot parking lot when I arrived and found out the handle didn’t work. Luckily the outside handle worked.
    https://www.quadratec.com/parts/jeep...eel-door-parts Will this help?

There’s a bunch of videos online on how to pop the panels off. Make sure you have plastic pry tools, they help a lot

Quote Originally Posted by Seahawkfan View Post
    Nice find. That’s awesome. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by VeruGE*144 View Post
    There’s a bunch of videos online on how to pop the panels off. Make sure you have plastic pry tools, they help a lot
    Yeah, I’m sure there are. This literally just happen a couple days ago so haven’t really begun to dig around. Figured I’d ask here in case others have any personal experiences, dos and donts.
    The Evolution of ENVY

IMG_20180718_201901.jpg
    Here the plastic clips that Eddie was referring to. If that all looks good then you have to open up the door.
    IMG_20180718_202048.jpg
    If it comes to that you'll want to roll the window all the way up and put a couple strips of masking tape up the window and over the top of the door to hold the window up. Then just remove the bolts around the black panel, open it up, and check the other end of the cables.

If you have manual windows the crank can be a little tricky. Here's the clip you have to release.
    IMG_20180718_201420.jpg
    IMG_20180718_201442.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast