E or D Rated Tires?

The BAD Influence

Caught the Bug
We have to stay with the 18" wheels we have.
Two friends have sliced their sidewalls this summer (One on Ds not aired down, the other Cs aired down to 15psi) so I'm worried about sidewall strength.
Most of what I'm seeing for tire choices is this:
37/12.5/18 E Rated
37/13.5/18 D Rated
D rated tires are significantly cheaper
We Have:
Heavy bumpers, and a winch
Usually carry good amount of tools and gear
Adding rock sliders
Adding Trail Leader package

Is the extra expense of the E rated tires worth it, or will the D rated tires sidewall strength be sufficient?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yup, BFG's aren't exactly known for their sidewall strength.

If there's any chance you could sell your 18" wheels, you'd be doing yourself a HUGE favor especially being that you'll have so many more tire choices and at a more affordable cost.

The BAD Influence

Caught the Bug
Yup, BFG's aren't exactly known for their sidewall strength.

If there's any chance you could sell your 18" wheels, you'd be doing yourself a HUGE favor especially being that you'll have so many more tire choices and at a more affordable cost.

I understand completely.
There's a long story behind how we got the wheels we have and why I can't get rid of them. Sentimental value to my wife.
That being said, was just wondering if the E rated tire is still the best for airing down and wheeling?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I understand completely.
There's a long story behind how we got the wheels we have and why I can't get rid of them. Sentimental value to my wife.
That being said, was just wondering if the E rated tire is still the best for airing down and wheeling?

E's will have the thickest sidewalls and offer the most protection. That being said, they will also offer a firmer ride. Being that you have 18" wheels, it's be worse being that you're only going to be running 37's. Also, not all tires with a load range E will have the same durability.

The BAD Influence

Caught the Bug
E's will have the thickest sidewalls and offer the most protection. That being said, they will also offer a firmer ride. Being that you have 18" wheels, it's be worse being that you're only going to be running 37's. Also, not all tires with a load range E will have the same durability.

Thank you for your straight forward answer. Not what I wanted to hear, but what I need to hear.

ninemmbill

I have been running the 35" Nitto Terra Grappler M/T's on my rig. They are E rated on an 18" rim. I have been very happy with them. I know the weight rating is overkill for my JK but I am happy with the extra bit of sidewall strength I gain. I am also giving up a little flex when I air down due to the stiffness and rim size. It's not the best setup, but depending on the type of wheeling you do you may be fine with something similar.

Top Bottom