Is there any write ups for PCV valve on a 3.6 Pentastar?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
No good write-ups being that it's so hard to get to and most of everything you'll need to do is by feel. But, here's a good video that'll help you to understand what needs to be done. Good luck.

fiend

Caught the Bug
I don’t know about a PCV valve on the 3.6, but I recently had to replace the one in my MX-5. Shop quoted me $600. The part was about $180. So I figured I’d save myself a bunch of money doing it myself. What a PITA. I got it done, but regret not just paying someone else.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I don’t know about a PCV valve on the 3.6, but I recently had to replace the one in my MX-5. Shop quoted me $600. The part was about $180. So I figured I’d save myself a bunch of money doing it myself. What a PITA. I got it done, but regret not just paying someone else.

I've tried to see what it would take to do myself and I could barely feel my way around the back of my engine. You'd literally have to do it blind and just by feel and you have to be careful not to drop any of the hardware inside the port that's sticking up begging to swallow them into your engine. If it cost $600 to do, I'd consider it a deal. :crazyeyes:

fiend

Caught the Bug
I've tried to see what it would take to do myself and I could barely feel my way around the back of my engine. You'd literally have to do it blind and just by feel and you have to be careful not to drop any of the hardware inside the port that's sticking up begging to swallow them into your engine. If it cost $600 to do, I'd consider it a deal. :crazyeyes:

Same thing on the MX-5. The EGR is on the back of the engine, against the firewall. Only the tiniest of hands can fit back there and, as you say, you’re doing it all blindly by feel. Plus, there’s a special shop tool, basically a 10mm socket on the end of a stretched z shape handle. In the course of fabricating the tool, I learned that you can MIG weld a chrome plated socket to mild steel. So that was kinda cool.

Top Bottom