Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeep won't start!! (not battery)

Jeep won't start!! (not battery)

Over the past few weeks I have noticed that the Jeep has been starting to struggle to start up occasionally. The worst cases occur when i briefly turn the jeep off, like when I'm getting gas and then try to start it up. This morning it didn't start at all after getting gas. However when i drive it to work and park it for about 10 hours, then try to start it up there usually isnt a problem.

It is not a battery issue, i have checked that. When I turn the key in the ignition my dash lights up, radio turns on, and my headlights will light. But the engine attempts to turn over, and will keep attempting to turn over for as long as i hold it there. However it will not start. There are no abnormally loud noises that i have noticed.

I spoke with some co-workers about the issue and they had the thought that it was my starter being overheated (i do live in Texas and it has been +100°F lately, and my commute to work has increased this summer from 30 mins a day to about 1 hr 45 mins a day). Wanted to know what the Wayalife community thought before i go buy/ replace a starter.

You should have the battery tested first before you rule it out. It may have a bad cell that still gives enough power to run the accessories but not turn over the engine. The battery terminals can also become corroded and a not allow enough juice to flow.

When you try to turn it on, are there any noises? Clicking? Does it try to turn over, but then not start?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    2015 JKU Rubicon AEV JK350
    1985 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler

Is the engine actually cranking but not starting or is it struggling to crank?
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Quote Originally Posted by wjtstudios View Post
    You should have the battery tested first before you rule it out. It may have a bad cell that still gives enough power to run the accessories but not turn over the engine. The battery terminals can also become corroded and a not allow enough juice to flow.

When you try to turn it on, are there any noises? Clicking? Does it try to turn over, but then not start?

I had the battery checked and cleaned the terminals. i probably should have mentioned that.

Noise is hard to describe. Its not a clicking. It sounds like normal, but it just wont "catch" and fire up.

I had this problem a few months with my 2011 and turned out to be my starter. I was lucky enough to have it finally crank and took it to an auto store to cinfirm.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    Is the engine actually cranking but not starting or is it struggling to crank?
    I went out to the parking lot to check it and listen to it. Started up no problem. Did it 3 times in a row.

When it doesn't start however, it seems to me that the engine is cranking but not starting.

If you’re saying the the engine seems to turn over fine but doesn’t start then it’s not the starter or battery.. check fuel and air

bad gas cap?

Sounds like it could be a fuel pump. Possible fuel pumps not holding pressure in the line.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Fresh Catch
    I had similar problem , too many details to explain, it turned out to be the starter engagement post . Replaced starter and all’s good.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast