Jeep won't start!! (not battery)

Judesign

Caught the Bug
Well at least you have a direction to go in now. A buddy of mine ran into this problem and unfortunately I don’t know of a good way to single out the bad part (or wiring ). Basically the pedal position sensor sends a signal to the throttle position sensor in the throttle body telling it to open/close the throttle a certain percentage depending on how hard you push the pedal. This is then sent to the pcm. Dealer just winged these parts at it to no avail until they replaced the pcm and that fixed it.
Maybe some of the smarter members here know of a way to test without just throwing parts at it. But that code would definitely explain your symptoms.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

98XJ06LJ

OK, so update: It started it up this past weekend (still struggled to start) and the check engine light came on, so i took it to two different auto parts stores to have them run the code. Both came back with P0222. Which is "Throttle/Pedal position sensor 'B' electrical circuit input signal had low voltage for a predetermined period of time."

Anyone have experience with this code?
Sounds like either your TPS or pedal is going bad. Using a volt meter you can check the values and see if they are operating with in spec. Should have 12v power and ground in each plug. Along with power and ground will be a signal wire. Probe the signal wire at the plug and operate the throttle from 0 to WOT ( wide open throttle) this will give you the operating values. Check with the dealer or possibly someone here might have the proper values. That will tell you which one is bad. Unless it's something stupid like your floor mat up against the pedal......

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using WAYALIFE mobile app

Dempsey

Sounds like either your TPS or pedal is going bad. Using a volt meter you can check the values and see if they are operating with in spec. Should have 12v power and ground in each plug. Along with power and ground will be a signal wire. Probe the signal wire at the plug and operate the throttle from 0 to WOT ( wide open throttle) this will give you the operating values. Check with the dealer or possibly someone here might have the proper values. That will tell you which one is bad. Unless it's something stupid like your floor mat up against the pedal......

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks for the help, Since this is the first time i have dealt with something like this. and im not very electrically inclined, do you know of a write up i can follow to do this test?

Also, checked the floor mat, wasn't that haha.

DogHouse

Thanks for the help, Since this is the first time i have dealt with something like this. and im not very electrically inclined, do you know of a write up i can follow to do this test?

Also, checked the floor mat, wasn't that haha.

You laugh but you would be surprised at how often something as insignificant as a floor mat (or other mundane item) could cause an issue you can’t figure out.

Dempsey

You laugh but you would be surprised at how often something as insignificant as a floor mat (or other mundane item) could cause an issue you can’t figure out.

I laugh because as soon as i read that i ran out to the jeep 100% believing that was the issue, because that would be something I do. But unfortunately not an easy fix this time.

jeeeep

Hooked
curious how you checked your battery?

I had a battery that tested fine and at times it just wouldn't start, it would crank but not start.

Took it to another auto parts store and had them check it again, this time the guy also tested the cold cranking amps...come to find out, that was the issue.

battery was perfectly fine on all other tests but had no cold start cranking amps.

Dempsey

curious how you checked your battery?

I had a battery that tested fine and at times it just wouldn't start, it would crank but not start.

Took it to another auto parts store and had them check it again, this time the guy also tested the cold cranking amps...come to find out, that was the issue.

battery was perfectly fine on all other tests but had no cold start cranking amps.

I guess when i said i checked my battery, i should have just said that i went and got it tested at 2 different auto stores, and they told me it was fine. I dint consider it being the issue anymore once my jeep produced the code P0222. Based on your story i guess i didnt do a full test of the battery. But since im getting that code would that rule out my battery being the issue?

unfortunately once again this morning it didnt start.

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
I guess when i said i checked my battery, i should have just said that i went and got it tested at 2 different auto stores, and they told me it was fine. I dint consider it being the issue anymore once my jeep produced the code P0222. Based on your story i guess i didnt do a full test of the battery. But since im getting that code would that rule out my battery being the issue?

unfortunately once again this morning it didnt start.
a proper battery tester will prompt you for either the cold cranking amps or standard cranking amps, test based on either. A good battery tester will also ask if the temperature is above or below freezing, and at this was before or after charging. If the testers they used didn't prompt you for that there's a chance it wasn't a true Deep Cell test.

Sent from my PH-1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

How old is your battery? A bad cell in your battery will cause it to not charge to full capacity but may test good if not tested properly. Low voltage in your sensors with also throw codes and and cause check engine lights.

Speaking from experience, I just went through this same ordeal with my daughters 2015 VW Beetle. All of the symptoms it was producing pointed to a bad battery. At the time I was at work so I had my daughter drive to the auto parts store, telling her she was gonna have to buy a new battery, and have them test the battery just for shits and giggles and the battery tested good.

Well shit, now what? I did all kinds of searching on the old interwebs and had people explaining all of these things that could be wrong, it’s this sensor or that sensor. I was pulling out my hair and ready to light the thing on fire.

I couldn’t get the thought of the issue being the battery out of my head. I checked it with my volt meter and it read 11.4 volts. (A fully charged battery should be at least 12.5 volts) This time I pulled the battery and took it back to the same place that checked it before and had them check it again. They said they would need to throw it on a charger to be able to test it. Still confident the battery was bad, I purchased a new one and told them to call and if the original battery tested good, I would return the new one.

I got home with the new battery and hooked everything up and it started right up with no more check engine light and no more codes being thrown. About 30 minutes later the auto parts store called and said the battery went into full meltdown while they were charging it.

A battery will be good one day and the next it will cause all sorts of issues.

Disclaimer: I am a shade tree mechanic. All of the info I provided is just from my experience. Good luck! Working on electrical stuff sucks!

Dempsey

Thanks guys for all your help. Took your advice and did an at home battery test with a multi meter. Battery was reading 12.33 V after about 4 hours of sitting. I then kept the multi-meter on the terminals and started the jeep and say the volts jump down to about 8.33 and then back up to 13+. After my brief research online, I think that means that the battery is about to die on me. The cold crank amps were lower than what was advised by the you-tube videos, that said it shouldn't go below 10 when starting. Is my understanding correct that my battery is about to die? Its an Optima yellow top and has only lasted 2.5 years, so i'm gonna pretty disappointed in Optima if it is already dead, considering all the extra money i spent on it.

Also, would this low voltage during startup cause that P0222 code "Throttle Position Sensor 'B' electrical circuit had low voltage for a predetermined period of time"?

Trail Bud

Hooked
Check to see if the heat shield around the starter is making contact with one of the wires. This was my problem when I had starter issues.

Top Bottom