Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Increase fuel capacity on '15 JKU

Fresh Catch

Increase fuel capacity on '15 JKU

My brother and I spent 5 days camping in the Arizona Strip in our 2015 JKU Sports last week and one of the issues we had was running low on fuel and having to make the 60 plus mile round trip into Fredonia to refuel in order to continue our trip.
    So I am wondering what everybody here is using to increase their fuel capacity? Rotopax off the spare tire, gerry can brackets off the spare, gerry cans on the front fenders or something by Genright, Long Ranger or something else?
    Pictures and ideas would be greatly appreciated along with your pros and cons that helped you arrive at your solution.
    (Self immolation isn't pretty, so please don't tell me that you carry your gas inside your ride.)

Thanks.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Threesticks View Post
    My brother and I spent 5 days camping in the Arizona Strip in our 2015 JKU Sports last week and one of the issues we had was running low on fuel and having to make the 60 plus mile round trip into Fredonia to refuel in order to continue our trip.
    So I am wondering what everybody here is using to increase their fuel capacity? Rotopax off the spare tire, gerry can brackets off the spare, gerry cans on the front fenders or something by Genright, Long Ranger or something else?
    Pictures and ideas would be greatly appreciated along with your pros and cons that helped you arrive at your solution.
    (Self immolation isn't pretty, so please don't tell me that you carry your gas inside your ride.)

Thanks.

Steve
    Camping on the AZ strip this time of year Id be more concerned with carrying water.

That being said I have no auxiliary fuel tank. Rotopax seem to be popular and there appears to be endless ways to mount them.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Fresh Catch
    Actually it rained everyday with highs in the 70 and 80's. Lots of water and mucho mud.

My brother has some Rotopax for fuel and water hanging off of his spare.

I have a Titan Trail Trekker. It carries 12 gallons. You transfer fuel to the vehicle tank with a shaker siphon and hose. It has worked very well for me. When full it is heavy. So I usually have it empty unless I know I’m going to need the extra fuel. It is permanently attached, which may be a plus or minus depending on the person. IMG_0654.jpgIMG_4572.jpg
    Last edited by fiend; 08-28-2018 at 04:46 AM.

I would say a GenRight replacement tank is your best bet considering they offer up to a 40 gal tank. You lose a little ground clearance in the back but the skid plate is bomb proof.

I have two five gallon jerry cans on my swing out behind the spare. IMG_2832.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Take what you can! Give nothing back!

I run the AEV reserve on the AEV tire carrier. Just like fiend’s it uses s shaker siphon. It holds 10 gallons, but unless we are going to a remote are, I only keep around 3 gallons in it for emergencies or to help someone out. I’ve had it for 4 years and am extremely happy with it.

P1150071.jpg
    2015 JKU Rubicon AEV JK350
    1985 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler

I have two 2.5 gallon rotopax on my tire carrier.

IMG_0472.jpg

Fresh Catch

Diy?

Has anyone made a tank them selves that would ride in the space between the frame and the prop shaft? I don't necessarily mean made the tank, but adapted something already made and rigged up a way to fill it and transfer the fuel to the main?

That dude from Mississippi notnalc68's Avatar
    I think Wayoflife uses just a 4 gallon Rotopax, and that seems to get them all over Nevada.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast