Increase fuel capacity on '15 JKU

fiend

Caught the Bug
I used mine on Mojave Road and on the Rubicon, among others. Planned, not emergencies .

Last edited:

Albatross

33693337yb.jpg

two jerrycans on the vehicle with approx. 10 gallons (40 liter),

33693338pv.jpg

and four Jerrycans on the trailer with 80 liter makes in sum 10+20 =30 gallons

jorgelrod

Hooked
Question for the rotopax guys, do you run them always or just when wheeling/traveling? They look cool but I'm wondering about long term effect of elements on them as the jeep is not on a garage here where I'm currently living but exposed to the elements 24/7.

Ddays

Hooked
Question for the rotopax guys, do you run them always or just when wheeling/traveling? They look cool but I'm wondering about long term effect of elements on them as the jeep is not on a garage here where I'm currently living but exposed to the elements 24/7.

I've only run mine when I go out West or If I'm going to be on trails all day long just for insurance. I never leave mine on for daily use. Even on trips to Rausch Creek I leave them at home. Gas stations are everywhere.

wjtstudios

Hooked
This might warrant some type of poll but I was wondering... For those with auxiliary fuel tanks:

1) Have you ever used them?
2) If so, was it for emergency purposes or was it a planned excursion that exceeded the capacity of the stock tank?

I live in a place where gas stations are rare (putting it lightly), so I am very interested in this topic but I'm also trying to determine how much extra capacity is "enough". Thanks for the input!

I’ve used mine twice. First time helping a guy in the trail that was on fumes get out. I doubt he would have made it back to a gas station.

Second time, helping a lady that ran out of gas on the side of the road that ran out of gas.

Although I didn’t use it at the time, last weeks fuel line break would have been a perfect example if it happened on the trail of needing it in a emergency. Knowing what I know now, I could have repaired the fuel line in that situation and used the reserve to fill it back up.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

BlackKnight

I remember seeing a company that has a reserve fuel cell that mounts in the rear where the muffler is on the JKU, It added 20 gallons, but you need to run an alternate muffler setup (several companies offer "Rock Crawler" setups where the exaust drops before the axel or after the axel but has the muffler before the axel).

Bob

fiend

Caught the Bug
I remember seeing a company that has a reserve fuel cell that mounts in the rear where the muffler is on the JKU, It added 20 gallons, but you need to run an alternate muffler setup (several companies offer "Rock Crawler" setups where the exaust drops before the axel or after the axel but has the muffler before the axel).

Bob

That’s Genright.

I live in AZ and most of the drives that I do have a gas station near by so extra capacity isn't mandatory, but as others have said, they have been there for others on the trail. However my favorite area to go camping and exploring is in the Arzona strip and there and very few gas stations near by. We do lots of roads in four low and really burn lots of gas and would end up having to head into St George, Fredonia, Jacob lake or Marble canyon for gas about every other day or sometimes every day.

So for AZ Strip camping something like the Genright tank would prove a good solution, but very expensive and a fair amount of weight to lug around all the time in my DD jeep. A simple jerry can holder would suffice for most of my trips for just in case and is easily removable when not needed.

Years ago I had a Dastun pick-up and was able to add a 10 gal tank under the bed and accessed thru a hole cut into the bed. I was hoping to see something that is a diy under the jeep made by someone here. A ten gallon tank with a skid plate would just about fill the bill and most likely not cost too much.

I am enjoying seeing all of the ways we have found to carry extra fuel.

lampltr

View attachment 309382

How about one of these guys?

Love it! Need to swap for 37's" :cheesy:

Great threat, had often thought about but have never ventured too far, but that will soon change. Had originally purchased a metal Jerry Can for out 08 TJ for water falsely believing the metal was treated internally, but the bitch quickly corroded and went in the garbage. Arriving back in the states in a few weeks, will be mounting up a Gobi rack and will look into the same. Roto pax for water, with either AEV or Titan Trail. Do like the Titan. Thanks for the posts, great pics too!

Last edited:

sm31

I live in AZ and most of the drives that I do have a gas station near by so extra capacity isn't mandatory, but as others have said, they have been there for others on the trail.

Thanks for the input everyone! I had not considered this element... I definitely need to supplement my fuel capacity.

Planning an excursion in a few weeks that will take me about 408 miles, 50% dirt, and 1 gas station. But I'd like to do some additional exploration along the way. I'm not comfortable going without extra fuel capacity even if it's under my distance limit.

On my trip last week there was a lot of rain and a lot of mud which caused slow going which increased our fuel burn rate necessitating more trips into town for fuel. Never really had that issue before, so next time I want to be better repaired.

I usually average 16 mpg on dry roads, but all the mud and slow stuff I averaged 10.1 mpg.

Noble Woodsman

I just strap two 5 gallon gas can to my gobi roof rack. Then after the trip, the cans can be kept in the garage for the generator, lawn mower, etc., and they are much cheaper than rotopaks if you already have a roof rack.

I only bring them on long trips, especially when driving the passes in the Rockies during winter, since you never know when the passes will close due to weather. You dont want to run out of fuel when it's freezing out.

IMG_4709.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Last edited:

Noble Woodsman

LOL. I'm still fairly new to the forum and catching up on old threads. I figured replying, even if it's late, is still useful for reference by folks scouring the archives like myself.

Top Bottom