Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinions on best Jeep model for a smaller budget

Opinions on best Jeep model for a smaller budget

My son is coming back home from overseas in a couple of months and is considering picking up a Jeep for a daily and trail use. His budget is going to be about $5k on the high end, so I'm wondering if he should be looking at CJs, YJs, or early TJs.

If this was you on a military budget and a wedding coming up soon, which model would you be looking for in terms of reliability and low cost to repair assuming there will be issues with an older Jeep.

All opinions and info would be appreciated. And if you've got a line on a good Jeep in his price range, that would be great too. 😎

--
    Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407
    Build Thread: The Adventures of Fiona
    '08 JKR Rescue Green 2-Door

I would be looking at a TJ especially if it’s going to be a Daily driver. But man I haven’t seen much TJs go for that low. You may find a YJ that’s in good shape for that price.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Clifford33 View Post
    I would be looking at a TJ especially if it’s going to be a Daily driver. But man I haven’t seen much TJs go for that low. You may find a YJ that’s in good shape for that price.

I've seen a couple late 90s TJs around $6k but I don't know enough about anything other than JKs to help him make an informed decision.

Also would need advice on what to look for when shopping for any of these models as far as common problems that should be addressed or aware of.

--
    Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

I don’t think you are going to find a tj for that low.. unless it’s a pile and needs work. I know I wouldn’t go under 5 figures for mine. Maybe try a YJ.

Quote Originally Posted by ob_tj View Post
    I don’t think you are going to find a tj for that low.. unless it’s a pile and needs work. I know I wouldn’t go under 5 figures for mine. Maybe try a YJ.

We've been looking at the YJ. After reading the recent posts about the vacuum powered transfer case it kinda made me nervous. How much of an issue is it really?

--

As stated TJ. I have seen a few in that range. Anything for that price will need some TLC.
    “Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace.”

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do...
    Explore. Dream. Discover."

"Take a compass, because it's always awkward when you have to eat a friend."

Quote Originally Posted by BaddestCross View Post
    We've been looking at the YJ. After reading the recent posts about the vacuum powered transfer case it kinda made me nervous. How much of an issue is it really?

--
    I’ve never owned a YJ but know people that do and they haven’t had problems with it.

Opinions on best Jeep model for a smaller budget

CJs are cool and I have seen some in that price range. But at this point any CJ is going to be 30+ years old, with everything that entails in terms of lack of modern conveniences and safety. It probably also will have some rust, leaking seals, and rats nest wiring from a prior owner’s “improvements.” Unless your son has the time, interest, and skills for a project, I’d stay away from CJs and find a TJ. Even a high mile one probably would be a better choice. I don’t know much about YJs, so can’t comment on those.

Quote Originally Posted by fiend View Post
    CJs are cool and I have seen some in that price range. But at this point any CJ is going to be 30+ years old, with everything that entails in terms of lack of modern conveniences and safety. It probably also will have some rust, leaking seals, and rats nest wiring from a prior owner’s “improvements.” Unless your son has the time, interest, and skills for a project, I’d stay away from CJs and find a TJ. Even a high mile one probably would be a better choice. I don’t know much about YJs, so can’t comment on those.
    Interest and skill isn't an issue. Time and space may be an issue, though. I'm sorta leaning CJ because I'm betting they're easier to work on due to the lack of modern conveniences. 😎 We're both into working on older cars... Computers in vehicles annoy me. 🤣

The goal would be - whatever he ends up with - to stay away from basket cases. I've had to deal with other people's problems before and it's never fun.

--

You can find decent TJs for around $5k. The key is to check your local listing every day or so because they sell fast. At least thats the case in CT, in may be different on the other side of the country.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast