Opinions on best Jeep model for a smaller budget

Seahawkfan

Hooked
Have you checked out cargurus? looks like a bunch in the SoCal area. But it looks like the TJ I4 a little more than budget $6000 to $8000and the I6 in starts at about $10,000. XJ??? Oh and thank him for his service...

Last edited:

BaddestCross

Have you checked out cargurus? looks like a bunch in the SoCal area. But it looks like the TJ I4 a little more than budget $6000 to $8000and the I6 in starts at about $10,000. XJ???
I personally haven't yet, but I think he has. I'm just trying to get a better idea of what to be looking for before getting serious about searching. I need to remember to specify the I6 as I forgot the TJ has an IT option. 🤪

I like the idea of an XJ, but he's more interested in a Wrangler.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Shadowfire

I have had both, the YJ was a 90 with the 4.2..it was a rough ride but easy to work on. The 4.0s went into those in 91 I think and that’s what you want if you choose YJ. I sold the YJ to get the TJ, it rides better and has more power. Each model has its quirks but none difficult to overcome. Good luck on your search, be aware he will always be broke regardless of which he chooses ...you can’t spend enough!

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

BaddestCross

I have had both, the YJ was a 90 with the 4.2..it was a rough ride but easy to work on. The 4.0s went into those in 91 I think and that’s what you want if you choose YJ. I sold the YJ to get the TJ, it rides better and has more power. Each model has its quirks but none difficult to overcome. Good luck on your search, be aware he will always be broke regardless of which he chooses ...you can’t spend enough!

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app
Good info, thanks.

Yeah, my wallet is a little familiar with the rabbit hole that is Jeep. 🤣

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

BaddestCross

Okay, after all the feedback (I think my son's following this thread 😎) he started looking at the XJ.

So now the question is, other than the 4.0L, is there anything else we should be looking for specifically? Are there better years to focus on? Years to avoid? Did they have axle options that are better than others? Basically looking for a quick XJ education. 🤣

--

TrailHunter

Hooked
Okay, after all the feedback (I think my son's following this thread [emoji41]) he started looking at the XJ.

So now the question is, other than the 4.0L, is there anything else we should be looking for specifically? Are there better years to focus on? Years to avoid? Did they have axle options that are better than others? Basically looking for a quick XJ education. 🤣

--

All my buddies went for the High Output motor... better heads I think. Look into that and high pinion vs low pinion... And I think my one buddy got lucky and his has a type of stock part time locker in the rear. But we aren’t positive on that... I think around 2000-2001 is a good year... Definitely keep doing research.

WiscoHR

I get where you’re coming from, looking for a budget Jeep. My daughter will be 16 in about a year and wants to wheel. I have been looking for a cheap TJ or 2 door JK but then I want to stretch it and it will be mine for her to drive. I can’t just put her in a base Jeep.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

fiend

Caught the Bug
If I were putting my teenager in a car as the driver, I’d want to make sure it had a full set of functioning front and side air bags, ABS, good seat belts, and good brakes.

TrailHunter

Hooked
If I were putting my teenager in a car as the driver, I’d want to make sure it had a full set of functioning front and side air bags, ABS, good seat belts, and good brakes.

My first ride was a 1956 F-100 pick up rust bucket with no power steering, No brake booster, 3 on the tree with no Synchro... and I weighed 100lbs wet holding a bag of oranges... Maybe my Dad was trying to kill me... [emoji15] Lol

fiend

Caught the Bug
My first ride was a 1956 F-100 pick up rust bucket with no power steering, No brake booster, 3 on the tree with no Synchro... and I weighed 100lbs wet holding a bag of oranges... Maybe my Dad was trying to kill me... [emoji15] Lol

[emoji848] maybe. You can work through that in therapy. [emoji23]

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
I had a 2001 XJ and I loved it. Dana 30 front and Chrysler 8.25 rear with lsd. That thing was a beast. 4.5” lift with 33’s. Tip, if you lift that high you’ll need an SYE kit.
Here’s a pic of it.
IMG_1660.JPG

pop2tu

Okay, after all the feedback (I think my son's following this thread [emoji41]) he started looking at the XJ.

--

Get a pre 96 model. They have a lot less electrical problems. 94 (I believe) is first year to have high pinion D30 without CAD. Pre 97 will have either D35(boat anchor) or D44. It would be pretty easy to swap in a Ford 8.8. Get the 4.0 lots of torque easy to work on. If you want driver and passenger side airbags you will have to go 98 to 01, prices are higher on those years. Just built one with my son. Also look at ZJ or WJ

Xjproject417

Xj

Depending where you live you can get a great deal on a Cherokee whether it is 2wd or 4wd. In my area of California 4wd Cherokee are way to expensive but a 4wd conversion can be cheaper and a better route. From experience I would say for any Cherokee stay away from the 97 to 2001 because looking for used parts will be a lot harder and to convert a 97 to 2001 Cherokee isnt as easy to find the right parts. Everything from 85 to 96 will pretty much bolt up into eachother minus a few things but you have a higher chance of finding the right parts because of all the older xj that are being parted out. For 97 to 2001 you have to stay in those years or you will run into some problems. In san Bernardino county you can buy a 96 or older xj with mid to high miles and stock or minor things done for a low price of $1500 but a high price of $5000. And for 97 to 2001 usually a low price of about $2500-3000 and on the higher side of $7000-9000 but you can find things in between. If I did mine all over with converting I would have got a pre 96 because of the vast amount of parts I can find for the older models,but i dont regret going this route cause i love my jeep(betty). And if you are handy with tools and know how to make some stuff you can easily create parts that would normally break you bank account for a ton less.

This brings back some great memories!
Same here with the F-100. Also my second truck 72 Chev step side. Lighter than a civic with a v8. Got squirrely in the rain one night and ran that fucker through a 3 strand fence into a berry field. And my third truck and etc etc. Haha this is why I don’t have nice things my wife would say. lol

Wouldn’t trade it for anything and is how I plan to teach my kid. Learn how to actually drive a vehicle not let it drive you.

Top Bottom