Driveshaft boot gone - in Colorado, big storm coming, traveling west

jeeeep

Hooked
Hey all, just pulled into Limon Colorado, heard some flapping underneath, checked it out and noticed my driveshaft boot is peeled off. Big storm supposed to hit tomorrow and we're driving on to Utah across I-70. looking for recommendations to get the driveshaft replaced since I'll probably be in 4-wheel and don't want to risk failure. Found 4-wheel parts in Denver but my experience is they don't keep a lot of items in stock.. - don't know how long the boot has been off.

thanks for the help

Paws

I'd think you'd be fine for the next couple
Months until you get home. Then order the drive shaft. Heck order one now online and it will be waiting for ya when you get home. Just because the boot is gone does not mean it won't work. Just wont be protected from the elements.

But if you do break it, I hope there is a place nearby. I'd call 4 wheel in the morning.

jeeeep

Hooked
yea, if it was just me i wouldn't worry about it much. My daughter is with me and don't want to get sidelined. i plan to call 4wheel on the way, if i time it right i'll get there when they open and they'll have what i want :thumb:

If it make you feel better....I said I will replace mine next week.....

That was about 10,000 miles ago....lol

I didnt do any real flexing on it - basic driving on pavement and gravel...but it has been thru the mud and crud, and the buds and suds....does it need replacing....yes but will it get you home....probably if you don't go extreme...

MTG

Caught the Bug
You'll probably be fine. But kids change the equation.

Hopefully storm isn't too bad and you can just pull the DS off of need be.

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
It is a common problem when you have a lift with stock driveshafts. You will be fine. Some, including me, have run like that for a year or more. If you're really worried couldn't u just pull the front shaft and get to where u are going without it?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
thanks for all the input, don't plan on doing anything extreme between here and Utah lol. I'll get it replaced in Utah then go beat it up in Moab :rock:

Dixon4x4

I would definitely call 4-Wheel parts in the morning. You might be able to get a screaming deal as they are having the March madness sale tomorrow at their Denver and Westminster locations.

09 JKU

Ctowns

I would get out of Limon early today if you can. Depending on how much snow they get early that stretch of i70 into Denver can be nasty and may get shutdown if the blizzard conditions pick up. also the mountains look like they may get up to 20 inches in places.

Another couple of shops you could try are high country performance 4x4 http://hcp4x4.com/ or trailjeeps http://www.trailjeeps.com/ both are a bit out of the way off of i70 trail jeeps is in a jeep dealer in boulder so there would be access to stock parts there.

http://m.9news.com/topstory/article?a=321774&f=1272

KUSA - Saturday will bring heavy snow and winds strong enough to create a blizzard throughout much of central and eastern sections of the state, according to the Colorado weather forecast.

Snow is expected east of the divide early Saturday morning and lasting through the evening.

For all lower-elevation locations along the Front Range, including metro Denver, 8 to 14 inches of snow is expected from the storm Saturday. The 9NEWS Weather Team says that most locations will end up with 8 to 10 inches, with just a few spots getting the higher amounts.

In the foothills and Front Range mountains (including Summit County and Winter Park) 10 to 20 inches of total snow is expected.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If we're talking about the accordian looking slip shaft boot, as mentioned, you'll be fine and for quite a while. If we're talking about the CV boot at the t-case, you will want to get a new shaft or just pull what you have off.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Are you looking for the CV joint dust seal on the front driveline?

http://www.actionmachineinc.com/2-86-418.aspx

It will work on a TJ...not sure if the JK's use the same dust cover. You don't need it if you have greaseable CV joint, only on sealed joints.

Nah, more than likely it's the slip shaft boot that's damaged as that is very common on lifted JK's. The CV joint on a JK is an Rzeppa and this wouldn't work for it too.

Macman1138

I would definitely call 4-Wheel parts in the morning. You might be able to get a screaming deal as they are having the March madness sale tomorrow at their Denver and Westminster locations.

09 JKU

Good idea.

jeeeep

Hooked
Thanks for all the input, we got up early checked the boot and it is just the accordian boot that's torn off. We made it to Utah no problems.
I was planning to upgrade before Moab anyway so now I'm waiting for my JE Reel to arrive.

Top Bottom