Co2 or Nitrogen

I am contemplating on making my own on board air system. I’m looking at staying away from ARB compressors. I know some have made there own DIY Co2 air tanks and there is Powertank. I don’t see the need in spending 600 bucks on the PowerTank.

So my question is why don’t people use Nitrogen? It seams to be better than Co2 for use in airing up your tires. I’m not educated in this topic and have just recently started researching it. Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Before the only real argument to cary a tank was to run air tools.
With how good battery powered tools are now. I can’t think of a single reason to carry a air/Co2/N/farts tank around and having to refill it.

fiend

Caught the Bug
The primary benefit to CO2 over a compressor is that it is a lot faster. If you prize being the first guy in your group to be fully aired up while you glare in disgust at everyone else crouched at their tires with an air chuck, CO2 is the way to go.

Last edited:

trailraider

I have a few Jeep guys that I have talked too about them that have problems out of the ARB system and takes for ever to air up. Also I don’t want to spend 500 bucks on something that’s not going to last.

So you would rather spend .... what .... $300 and countless hours n**ger rigging a system up so that when you actually need it may or may not work? this makes 0 sense to me.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
I used CO2 prior to my ARB twin and my issues were just the space the tank takes up and that I have to go get it refilled. You don’t want N2 as it’s just gas form and you likely won’t get as many fills compared to CO2. My ARB twin fills a 37 in about two minutes which isn’t much longer than my tank did. And I never have to worry about refilling. I wouldn’t go back to the tank.

zimm

Caught the Bug
Speedy is on the right path of thought. Co2 is "energy dense" because it's stored in a compressed liquid form, just like propane and some other gases. Nitrogen is typically stored in a gas state. Unless you want to mess with liquid nitrogen, but that requires cryogenics. I don't feel like doing the math, but I'm pretty sure you'll get way less fills with a small nitrogen tank over Co2.

Nitrogen is actually better for tires because it's fully inert and doesn't change pressure "as much" as air with temperature changes. It's also moisture free. That's the reason it's used in airplane tires.

For me? ARB twin all the way.

So you would rather spend .... what .... $300 and countless hours n**ger rigging a system up so that when you actually need it may or may not work? this makes 0 sense to me.

Like I mentioned I have a friend that deals in this. I can get setup for around 150-200 bucks and like others have mentioned be aired up before you even get the air chuck out. I was just questioning about why people don’t use Nitrogen instead of Co2.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Like I mentioned I have a friend that deals in this. I can get setup for around 150-200 bucks and like others have mentioned be aired up before you even get the air chuck out. I was just questioning about why people don’t use Nitrogen instead of Co2.

It’s not that much faster man. I’ve run both. And how often will you be using it? It’s typically around 20 bucks to refill a 10lb tank. I’d use a tank up in about 4 outings. Doesn’t take much math to figure out the break even point.

I used CO2 prior to my ARB twin and my issues were just the space the tank takes up and that I have to go get it refilled. You don’t want N2 as it’s just gas form and you likely won’t get as many fills compared to CO2. My ARB twin fills a 37 in about two minutes which isn’t much longer than my tank did. And I never have to worry about refilling. I wouldn’t go back to the tank.

I was looking at a bracket to mount on the roll bar. I don’t think that would be an issue for me. I understand that it could be for some.

Last edited:

nbunga

Caught the Bug
I'm considering helium or uranium. Just haven't figured out all the pros and cons yet.

I had a uranium setup for a while. Worked great except for the fact I now have 6 toes on my left foot. I can never understand the guys in my group that run helium on the CB. They always sound like Minnie Mouse.

Co2 is superior to nitrogen for the same reason it’s used in paintballs. Small liquid amount becomes a shit ton of air. If you’re talking about what is the best air to fill tires with yes nitrogen is better than normal atmosphere air or co2 because it’s more stable across temperatures and doesn’t expand and shrink as much. But that’s missed the point completely as an off road air source.

It’s not that much faster man. I’ve run both. And how often will you be using it? It’s typically around 20 bucks to refill a 10lb tank. I’d use a tank up in about 4 outings. Doesn’t take much math to figure out the break even point.

$1 per pound for Co2 where I live and the YouTube videos that I have seen aired up 37’s in 45sec. I don’t think you can do that with a ARB twin compressor. You guys have gotten way off topic anyhow.

Ddays

Hooked
I'm considering helium or uranium. Just haven't figured out all the pros and cons yet.

I had a uranium setup for a while. Worked great except for the fact I now have 6 toes on my left foot. I can never understand the guys in my group that run helium on the CB. They always sound like Minnie Mouse.

I thought I had purchased a Uranium system a couple years ago...turned out it was a Uranus system. Airing up sucked although airing down was quite pleasurable if slightly odorus and sometimes messy :idontknow:

Top Bottom