Co2 or Nitrogen

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
$1 per pound for Co2 where I live and the YouTube videos that I have seen aired up 37’s in 45sec. I don’t think you can do that with a ARB twin compressor. You guys have gotten way off topic anyhow.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sorry you came looking for opinions and got some. Especially since it sounds like you’ve never run either and I’ve run both. Yes it’s faster. Point was ARB twin isn’t much slower and saves money in the long run plus I never run out, especially when it may be critical to have it. I’m still waiting for others to air up or down every run. And with unlimited air I can even help them. Just giving you my two pennies but obviously you can do as you please.

Sorry you came looking for opinions and got some. Especially since it sounds like you’ve never run either and I’ve run both. Yes it’s faster. Point was ARB twin isn’t much slower and saves money in the long run plus I never run out, especially when it may be critical to have it. I’m still waiting for others to air up or down every run. And with unlimited air I can even help them. Just giving you my two pennies but obviously you can do as you please.

Like I have mentioned that twin is 500 +. When that fails you, you will have to buy another. I know a few that have. I’m just throwing ideas out. I know a few that run tanks. Of coarse there are positives and negatives with either one. I have seen people with the Power Tank and I have seen people with DIY tanks. My question was “why don’t people run Nitrogen instead of Co2”? So far I haven’t got that answer. Unless I missed it in all the unwanted comments.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Like I have mentioned that twin is 500 +. When that fails you, you will have to buy another. I know a few that have. I’m just throwing ideas out. I know a few that run tanks. Of coarse there are positives and negatives with either one. I have seen people with the Power Tank and I have seen people with DIY tanks. My question was “why don’t people run Nitrogen instead of Co2”? So far I haven’t got that answer. Unless I missed it in all the unwanted comments.

Pretty sure you missed it in about three posts.

MericaMade

I am contemplating on making my own on board air system. I’m looking at staying away from ARB compressors. I know some have made there own DIY Co2 air tanks and there is Powertank. I don’t see the need in spending 600 bucks on the PowerTank.

So my question is why don’t people use Nitrogen? It seams to be better than Co2 for use in airing up your tires. I’m not educated in this topic and have just recently started researching it. Any help would be appreciated.

I don't get the whole powertank thing. Fills up 6-10 tires then your off to pay and get it refilled again. Seems like a lot of nonsense for air plus the size of the bottle you now have to carry. I bought a 5.5 CFM air compressor for like $125 and fills up my tires in 15 minutes. I never have to run any extra errands to fill a tank or worry about how much air I got left.

Here is your answer......Per google CO2 is thinner then Nitrogen and will leak 11 times faster then both air and nitrogen and was intended for emergency fill ups and not for long duration's.

Last edited:

Brute

Hooked
I'm considering helium or uranium. Just haven't figured out all the pros and cons yet.

I had a uranium setup for a while. Worked great except for the fact I now have 6 toes on my left foot. I can never understand the guys in my group that run helium on the CB. They always sound like Minnie Mouse.

I thought I had purchased a Uranium system a couple years ago...turned out it was a Uranus system. Airing up sucked although airing down was quite pleasurable if slightly odorus and sometimes messy :idontknow:

After losing my compressor due to an electrical short on the NY run, I think I'm going the Dilithium Crystal route...if it's good enough for the Enterprise, it's good enough for me.

Are you considering D or E size bottles of Nitrogen bolted to your roll cage for the gas source?...or something else? Also consider your cost in fuel and what your time is worth every time you need to refill...

wjtstudios

Hooked
I’ve had a twin for five years mounted under the hood. It’s seen massive temperature extremes, dirt, mud, dust, salt. I had it at -22 this weekend at my cabin and flipped the switch and it fired right up. No leaks. The only thing that ever killed it was my dumb ass steam cleaning the engine bay and blew the pressure switch. I can hook all four 37” tires up at the same time in ten minutes from 15 psi.

They are extremely reliable and fast. Just my two cents.

A.J.

FWIW I use co2 regularly. I already have air tools so if I need to use them it’s handy and air up tires fast. I just use a 150 psi regulator and quick coupler. I paid a $50 deposit for the tank 5 years ago and just exchange it when it’s empty. I also have the small compressor for lockers so if I mis manage the co2 I can still air up. I have a nice little spot under the back seat to secure the bottle. Cheapest way I could do it. Works fine.

Ajkaz

Our group is split C02 and Compressors. Those that have moved to C02 are running 37"+ tires and had an ARB mounted in the engine bay that gave up. You can mount the ARB twin under the passenger seat and clearance the carpet a bit for more longevity. I am running a plumbed system to my ARB twin using John Guest plumbing, I air all four 37's up at the same time from 8psi to 27 psi in under 5 minutes from the time I unzip my carry bag to the time its put away.... I use a simple air gauge to an inline spring pressure relief valve. When it hits 27psi it pops and I turn it off, all 4 tires are equalized within a few seconds.

You mentioned adding a tank, if its just for filling tires I definitely would not as you will need to bring the volume of the tank to the desired tire pressure for every tire. You could add a tank in an isolated line for air tools if needed, just remember as you increase in pressure your flow drops dramatically and you increase the heat of the air and the pump dramatically.

desertrunner

Your question was definitely answered man, co2 stored in liquid form, nitro stored in gas form, so more fills per tank with co2. The cost difference I don't know, the tank vs compressor is a personal choice.

FWIW my warn power plant fills my 37s from 15 to 30 psi in 1:45 each

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
I mounted my twin ARB under the passenger seat and have never regretted it a bit.

Never have I been on a wheeling trip anywhere that a tire filling contest broke out at the end of the day. It's not like everyone is in a huge rush to get on the road. And it's not like taking an extra 10-15 seconds to fill a tire vs a Powertank has caused me unending feelings of inadequacy. I prefer the convenience of the compressor. :twocents:

jesse3638

Hooked
Seems the OP came here with his mind made up and didn't bother to listen the answers he asked for. If overlanders answer doesn't work out I'd try a Plutonium Q36 Explosive Space Modulator. Place it under your seat, light it, and bam problem solved.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
You have gotten your answer several times. Fills per tank is the short answer. I use CO2 because I already have a tank so why not. It's a 20 pounder and I can fill up so many times that I loose track off of it. It costs me about $25 to exchange when empty which is only a couple bucks more than a 10# tank and 2x the fill capacity. Filling up 37s is fast as shit. If space is an issue on a particular trip, or I run out without realizing it, I just use my ARB high output single under the hood that is typically used only for my lockers so I always have a backup.

BIG DAWG

I use my Powertank all the time. I have never had any issues. I like my ARB compressor but don't use it as much as I did before my CO2 setup.

Top Bottom