Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unit Bearings -75,000 miles?

Definitely agree on drag link. Unit bearings worth a look too. Your on the right track. The abs/traction control is pretty sensitive in my experience. Steering wheel center vs drag link movement usually starts giving you fits on freeway on ramps. Over bumps I would suspect unit bearings more. I carry one with me on longer wheeling trips. I have gotten pretty good at changing them out. I have been doing the warranty exchange program for awhile. Parts store hasn’t denied me yet. Lol! Killed 3 last year.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Nothing but a Thing nmwranglerx's Avatar
    Glad I found this thread. I’ve been dealing with similar issues. My last trip from Tucson to back home here in NM was scary as hell due to an extremely strong crosswind. On the freeway, I was literally sawing the steering wheel back and forth like a fiddler barely able to keep Jeep in its lane. Traction light was on too. I tightened the nut on the dl on the knuckle side but the steering still feels loose. I’ll have to check the unit bearings this weekend. Keep us posted on how things go.

"all roads lead somewhere" -anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    Definitely agree on drag link. Unit bearings worth a look too. Your on the right track. The abs/traction control is pretty sensitive in my experience. Steering wheel center vs drag link movement usually starts giving you fits on freeway on ramps. Over bumps I would suspect unit bearings more. I carry one with me on longer wheeling trips. I have gotten pretty good at changing them out. I have been doing the warranty exchange program for awhile. Parts store hasn’t denied me yet. Lol! Killed 3 last year.

Thanks! Good to know! Eddies video makes it look pretty painless.

Quote Originally Posted by nmwranglerx View Post
    Glad I found this thread. I’ve been dealing with similar issues. My last trip from Tucson to back home here in NM was scary as hell due to an extremely strong crosswind. On the freeway, I was literally sawing the steering wheel back and forth like a fiddler barely able to keep Jeep in its lane. Traction light was on too. I tightened the nut on the dl on the knuckle side but the steering still feels loose. I’ll have to check the unit bearings this weekend. Keep us posted on how things go.

Good luck with yours too!

I followed the link to go ahead and order on Amazon through Wayalife. There was only one available, but I ordered it. The next cheapest I could find was $10 more on eBay, so that’s ordered up too. I figure, worst case, I will need them eventually no matter what. If the DL squares everything away it’s just less work right now.
    2013 JKU Sport "Spider" with some EVO goodies and a chop here and there

DIY trail/tube door build http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?24449-My-DIY-Doors

Overall "build thread" http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?2...ker-quot-build

In case someone stumbles across this thread before the write up, it can be found at https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=19332

Nothing but a Thing nmwranglerx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC Wrangler View Post
    In case someone stumbles across this thread before the write up, it can be found at https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=19332
    Right on man, thanks for posting the link!

"all roads lead somewhere" -anonymous

Knows a Thing or Two Seahawkfan's Avatar
    Thanks guys. My toe was just dialed in a couple weeks ago as well.

Attachment 323386

Attachment 323387

The traction control light is what sent me searching on here. I couldn’t find that symptom explained exactly the same, but I saw where some had posted definite failures and lights coming on.
    Not sure what you call these alignment tools? If you don't mind me asking what are they called and where could I find these? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seahawkfan View Post
    Not sure what you call these alignment tools? If you don't mind me asking what are they called and where could I find these? Thanks
    Bubba @Exodus Jeeps mentioned them to me when I was dialing in my tie rod. They are about $50 from Low Range Off Road. There are about 8 co-workers and other friends that wheel and wrench together, and we’ve all bought some specialty tools to share. This was my contribution and are currently with a TJ owner.

Pretty simple to use. These are
    Narrower than what the 35+ tires width are. Bubba said to shoot for 3/16” toe in running my 35’s based on the tools width.

Bubba @Exodus Jeeps mentioned them to me when I was dialing in my tie rod. They are about $50 from Low Range Off Road. There are about 8 co-workers and other friends that wheel and wrench together, and we’ve all bought some specialty tools to share. This was my contribution and are currently with a TJ owner.

Pretty simple to use. These are
    Narrower than what the 35+ tires width are. Bubba said to shoot for 3/16” toe in running my 35’s based on the tools width.
    Those look like a good idea.

Sure makes measuring easier

I see you've already replaced them, but yea, if your TC light is going off like that it is most likely hubs. I ignored my TC light issue for a while then my hub exploded while I was off in the desert—that wasn't fun. I only had 60K miles but I drive it hard so it makes sense.
    Idiot with a JK

Quote Originally Posted by jdofmemi View Post
    Those look like a good idea.

Sure makes measuring easier
    They are. Took care of the toe on my buddies TJ today. It’s doable solo, but even faster with two of you.

Quote Originally Posted by aermotor View Post
    I see you've already replaced them, but yea, if your TC light is going off like that it is most likely hubs. I ignored my TC light issue for a while then my hub exploded while I was off in the desert—that wasn't fun. I only had 60K miles but I drive it hard so it makes sense.
    I haven’t received the new ones yet. I did jack up the front end with a friends help today and the passenger side is giving a light “clunk” sound. We really couldn’t see the movement but could hear it. Driver’s side was silent.

My new DL shipped today and will arrive next Tuesday sometime. I had bought the AC Delco pitman arm end for $20 and put that on today. (I got the shipment notification about the Ruffstuff DL just as we finished ) It is more solid feel driving but there is some movement at the knuckle too. So for now, it’s improved and will get me through until next week.

IMG_7252.jpg

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast