1964 m38a1

Midnsped

So, my son and I have been toying with the idea that his first car should be a project for both of us. He really enjoys my Jeep, so we figured maybe we could find a junkyard project to work on and get running by the time he is of age (he turns 14 in May, so we have some time to work with).

I was doing my normal Jeep parts stalking on the interwebs, and stumbled across a 1964 M38A1 in running condition for a pretty killer deal. To my amazement, my wife gave us the green light to go check it out and snatch it if fit our idea.

Fast forward three hour later, we were the proud new owners of some history. IMG_7530.jpg

On the way home, the right rear brake decided to piss fluid and start smoking, so a tow truck was needed for the last 8 miles.

We got it home and started to formulate our plan. The previous owners converted it from 24V to 12V. The wiring was horrendous, as was the diamond plated dash, so we began to pull off all the “stuff” that needed replaced. Image1554432407.888061.jpg
The engine is clean, all 72 HP. The tub and associated body is mainly free of rust. Image1554432488.041333.jpg
We pulled the upper steering column (looks like its from a 90s Cherokee) as well as the aftermarket and stock lights.

Image1554432595.396837.jpg

The previous owner added power steering, which will stay.

Overall, it’s going to be a fun project that really won’t require too much work.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

dougrz

Fricking awesome! What great father-son time awaits. That was such an important part of my life, cars with my dad. He didn't need to do anything special. Just lead, show knowledge and skill, and everything came from that.

Good luck!

Last edited:

RockingK

3B544DE0-D25C-4D38-9FEA-ACAA40F51F3E.jpg

In 1972 my dad asked me if I would like to learn a few things about cars when I was 12, of course I said yes and two years and $500.00 later I earned from mowing lawns, cleaning the ducks from the last hunt etc. we went out and found a 1942 Ford GPW. We spent almost every night and weekend with a three inch thick manual, removing and rebuilding pretty much every component. It got me through High School and the Fire academy. Those were the best memories and I think of them often, driving his old 1980 CJ7 and my 09 JK. Congratulations on your new adventure, take lots of memory building pictures together, unfortunately this is the only one I still have! I am going to love seeing this unfold, good job dad:rock:

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
View attachment 325373

In 1972 my dad asked me if I would like to learn a few things about cars when I was 12, of course I said yes and two years and $500.00 later I earned from mowing lawns, cleaning the ducks from the last hunt etc. we went out and found a 1942 Ford GPW. We spent almost every night and weekend with a three inch thick manual, removing and rebuilding pretty much every component. It got me through High School and the Fire academy. Those were the best memories and I think of them often, driving his old 1980 CJ7 and my 09 JK. Congratulations on your new adventure, take lots of memory building pictures together, unfortunately this is the only one I still have! I am going to love seeing this unfold, good job dad:rock:

That’s awesome. My Dad didn’t know beans about working on cars.

RockingK

Where is the GPW today?...that thing is awesome...

Thanks, sold it back in the day to a neighbor for his Grandson, lasted about a week and he totaled it two blocks away from my house hitting a concrete bridge. Broke my heart. I’ve been looking for years for the one but so far, no luck😢.

Midnsped

Well, I have successfully dismantled the Jeep to start the resto. I think for my sanity and my son’s mortality I am going keep some creature comforts included, like roll bar and full back seats. Mounting these seats will be interesting, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

I pulled the tub off and cleaned up the frame and engine. I threw a coat of primer on the frame and high temp on the engine, transmission and transfer case.
58905393994__CF5909E7-56AD-4995-BBF8-A3947F8B5A79.jpg

I found the source of my smoking rear wheel. I threw the axle bearing, so I will need to rebuild it.

There are a few holes in the tub that need some attention via welder. Any suggestions on an economical MIG welder? I plan on teaching myself, so this should be fun.

Definitely a good project to test my patience and skills.

Midnsped

We found the issue with the rear axle. The drivers side bearings completely failed, which left for a fun time cleaning out all the metal shards and shavings.

I installed new seals, bearings and caps. The wheel cylinders were toasted as were the mismatched brake drums. I cleaned it all up, painted and reassembled. IMG_0756.jpg 59388867126__B8FFF0FC-838C-4884-97FB-9E68FF0F000F.jpg 59389543411__DBD2576F-E057-403F-9F15-21785D55B6FE.jpg

The rear leaf springs looked like hell, so I exploded them to cleaned them up. Hours of grinding, sanding, priming and painting, they were finally ready for new bushings. I set the rubber on fire to let the rubber bloom which allowed the inner tube to be pulled out easily. I then used a hack saw to cut the outer tube and then pried it from the leaf spring. Tedious, but it worked. The leaf spring shackles also had worn out bushings, so I used the same technique to remove them. The install went like shit. I don’t have a press, so in my infinite wisdom, I tried a dead blow hammer. I distorted the bushing, so I had to pulled it out and try a new one. In my attempt to remove it again, I smashed my finger with a ball peen hammer and ended up in the ER.
59632681889__97E94D40-52D0-46AF-8D22-C40E3297E48B.jpg 59634214602__89BAB1D3-412D-4624-976A-DC8E2A7D5508.jpg
Fractured and cauterized finger later, I was back into it.

Full disclosure, I am moving from San Diego to DC in Jan, so I am trying to get this damn thing put back together. Lesson learned in patience.

Finally got the back in put together (with new bushings part 2).
I ran new brake lines, refurbished the master cylinder and bled them down.
IMG_0062.jpg

I told my wife that I would have it rolling with body attached before I moved, so I enlisted some help of a friend and a John Deere to got the tub back on.
59847682533__486CA701-F26E-479E-AF40-D2535E10EE6D.jpg
Body mounts are installed.

It sucks that I was not able to get the tub cleaned up and painted. That will have to wait until the summer once the fam gets to DC.

Last edited:
Top Bottom