Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast

Thread: S#!T's About to Get REAL for JET - EVO JL Wrangler Long Arms & Coilovers

Quote Originally Posted by JAGS View Post
    Ha ha. Guess that sort of answers the question. I went through this same dilemma with my JK between COs and Bypass.
    Quote Originally Posted by benatc1 View Post
    He is referring to shocks with a bypass tube for the fluid to travel back and forth to better keep it cool. Reducing shock fade. Basically those shocks you see that have an extra cylinder on them or attached to them
    I may be wrong but are both of you talking about a remote reservoir shock?

Ben, youíre describing a remote res shock. Although having more fluid does keep it cooler and in return reduces shock fade because of more fluid the primary reason for having a res is to have two separate chambers for air and oil. When the shock is compressed and the shaft enters the cylinder the oil that is in the cylinder needs to be displaced since the oil does not compress, the oil from the shock moves to the res and the air in the res compresses. vs an emulsion shock that has air and oil mixed together in the cylinder.

A bypass shock does have a reservoir for the same reason but it also has bypass tubes that allow oil to flow through the bypass tube, bypassing the piston (and shims) in the shock allowing you to tune the compression and rebound rate throughout the stroke of the shock depending on how many tubes and the orientation of the tube.

Quote Originally Posted by Benito View Post
    I may be wrong but are both of you talking about a remote reservoir shock?

Ben, youíre describing a remote res shock. Although having more fluid does keep it cooler and in return reduces shock fade because of more fluid the primary reason for having a res is to have two separate chambers for air and oil. When the shock is compressed and the shaft enters the cylinder the oil that is in the cylinder needs to be displaced since the oil does not compress, the oil from the shock moves to the res and the air in the res compresses. vs an emulsion shock that has air and oil mixed together in the cylinder.

A bypass shock does have a reservoir for the same reason but it also has bypass tubes that allow oil to flow through the bypass tube, bypassing the piston (and shims) in the shock allowing you to tune the compression and rebound rate throughout the stroke of the shock depending on how many tubes and the orientation of the tube.
    Just started catching up on things and this ^^^^^ is correct.

Thank you for taking the time to share that. Didnít realize the tuneable ones were different. Hadnít gotten to a point where Iíd given it much thought or research as Iíve always run monotubes. Always learning!

Typed on my iPhone with my Jimmy Dean sausage fingers
    Matthew Nicholas
    The Wampa- 16í JK Rubicon Hard Rock
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the RECOMMENDED-Jeep-Parts-amp-Accessories section of this forum will help support this forum and at no cost to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Abntroop View Post
    Thank you for taking the time to share that. Didnít realize the tuneable ones were different. Hadnít gotten to a point where Iíd given it much thought or research as Iíve always run monotubes. Always learning!

What you see in the lower half of this photo is a bypass shock.

20170211200105-a216f161.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    What you see in the lower half of this photo is a bypass shock.

20170211200105-a216f161.jpg
    Thatís the first time I have ever seen one of those. Are they common? The upper is a remote reservoir then correct?

Matthew Nicholas
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the RECOMMENDED-Jeep-Parts-amp-Accessories section of this forum will help support this forum and at no cost to you.

S#!T's About to Get REAL for JET - EVO JL Wrangler Long Arms & Coilovers

Whatís the deal with these six pack shocks metal cloak has? Remember seeing some guy on YouTube running them but havenít seen or heard a reference about them since. They look like a pair of shocks going in either direction with an integrated remote reservoir for each pair?

Last edited by Abntroop; 06-20-2019 at 02:34 PM.
    Matthew Nicholas

Thatís the first time I have ever seen one of those. Are they common? The upper is a remote reservoir then correct?
    What you see in the upper half of the pic is a coilover and without the coil on it but yes, that would essentially be what a basic reservoir shock would look like. Bypass shocks are common on desert race trucks but not so much on Jeeps.

Whatís the deal with these six pack shocks metal cloak has? Remember seeing some guy on YouTube running them but havenít seen or heard a reference about them since. They look like a pair of shocks going in either direction with an integrated remote reservoir for each pair?
    Sixpak shocks are just what you're seeing - 2 shocks end on end and in a pretty package. The idea is that they'll give you more travel but ultimately, they're just gimmicky, have all kinds of problems with leaking and for the money, you'd be better off getting a set of coilovers.

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    What you see in the upper half of the pic is a coilover and without the coil on it but yes, that would essentially be what a basic reservoir shock would look like. Bypass shocks are common on desert race trucks but not so much on Jeeps.

Sixpak shocks are just what you're seeing - 2 shocks end on end and in a pretty package. The idea is that they'll give you more travel but ultimately, they're just gimmicky, have all kinds of problems with leaking and for the money, you'd be better off getting a set of coilovers.
    Right on, good to know, thank you!

Matthew Nicholas

Quote Originally Posted by JAGS View Post
    You gonna have room to go back the 13.5 coopers with 3.5 BS? Iíve got wheels with 4.5 BS and wondering if Iím gonna have to consider new wheels or adding wheel spacers. Mine arenít beadlocks.

Did King improve the clicky pops with their new coilovers? Iím still also keeping the bypass 2.5s an option. Might need to go talk it through with Mel.
    Sorry I missed this the first time around. Right off the bat, our coilovers were pretty noisy but they always are. After bombing across the desert on our way home, they're pretty quite now.

Regarding tires, with 3.5" of back spacing, 13.50's would probably work. We just got a set of wheel spacers to help things along.

Quote Originally Posted by doubletapdaddy View Post
    Driving sans top and doors it sounds as if there's a bunch of angry crabs following me. 🦀🦀🦀 Lol.

Are sticking with the Nittos or going back to the Coopers once you get new wheels?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast