Trail Etiquette

SLO

I was just reading a couple of rules on Holy Cross in CO and it got me thinking about trail etiquette. They don’t allow stacking rocks on obstacles and you can’t winch from trees.

What are people’s thoughts on these as unstated rules (and other etiquette) on trials that don’t specifically call it out?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
"Rules" for a trail on public land is kind of lame. I mean, I get why someone would put them there but really? I have no problem with people stacking rocks to get up an obstacle but have a REAL PROBLEM when people don't remove them after they clear it. As far as winching from trees go, there's a thing called a "tree saver" and if people would use them, there wouldn't be a need for stupid trail rules.

One other etiquette that I wish people would learn is that you don't own the trail, you share it with others. If you're gonna stop, pull off the trail so that others can pass. Be aware of who's around you and if there are rigs behind you, ask them if they'd like to pass and if so, help make that possible.

Bierpower

Hooked
My guess would be that the trees up there are fairly small at that altitude, and the roots can't get very deep with all the rock, so when some clowns tried to strap up and winch they ripped a bunch or trees out of the ground. In the JKX PNW they were winching off of trees and it didn't seem to cause any issues. I feel like it's a situation where you just need to use your brain. Make sure the tree is big enough your not going to kill it, and use the proper equipment like a tree strap.

Stacking rocks seems to along the same lines. If your pulling up rocks on the side of a mountain out here it can cause rather significant erosion problems. Use your head and don't go on hard trails alone.

That's just my opinion.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

longarmwj

I really don't see any issue with stacking rocks or winching from a tree providing you use a tree saver.

For me, proper trail etiquette is making sure nobody is left behind, spot where you need to, don't trash the trail up, be respectful of other people's personal levels of driving ability, etc. Basically just go out and have fun and make sure everyone is taken care of.

longarmwj

One other etiquette that I wish people would learn is that you don't own the trail, you share it with others. If you're gonna stop, pull off the trail so that others can pass. Be aware of who's around you and if there are rigs behind you, ask them if they'd like to pass and if so, help make that possible.

This!!

The trails that we have down south are very narrow and nothing sucks worse then coming up on a group of people stopped to eat lunch or whatnot and they're clogging the trail. Normally those damn Yota drivers :crazyeyes::cheesy:

Bierpower

Hooked
...One other etiquette that I wish people would learn is that you don't own the trail, you share it with others. If you're gonna stop, pull off the trail so that others can pass. Be aware of who's around you and if there are rigs behind you, ask them if they'd like to pass and if so, help make that possible.

We actually ran into a problem like this on the memorial day weekend run we did. About a dozen rigs stopped in the trail for lord knows what, and it took several minutes of sitting and shimmying around before we could get past them and off the trail. The 10 side-by-sides that ironically couldn't figure out they can fit side by side to get out of the way didn't help the situation either

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Be aware of who's around you .....

This also applies to road traffic, grocery aisles, etc. Blows me away how many people are in their own bubbles and have no clue that there are others around them.

I will say, out of all the trails I've done around here, it seems like most people are very courteous and aware for the most part and move out of each others' way.

jdofmemi

"Rules" for a trail on public land is kind of lame. I mean, I get why someone would put them there but really? I have no problem with people stacking rocks to get up an obstacle but have a REAL PROBLEM when people don't remove them after they clear it. As far as winching from trees go, there's a thing called a "tree saver" and if people would use them, there wouldn't be a need for stupid trail rules.

I was on a run recently and came up on a group of 8 to 10 very well built Jeeps. All stickered up, mostly 40's, coilovers, V-8s, etc. They stopped for lunch, one or two got off the trail, but the rest just stopped where they were. I was in the second group to come up on them, and they didn't care to move and let anyone pass.

There was plenty of room, the whole group could have parked off the trail and not had any issues.

They seemed shocked when I asked if they would mind moving so we and the other group could pass.

They acted like they owned the trail, and since their Jeeps were so obviously superior, we should all just wait on them🤯

So much for etiquette

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
I agree with Eddie, rules like that on public land are lame. I suspect they are there because common sense is in very short supply these days. Then again, rules are generally not followed by those without common sense anyways, so what’s the point?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
So, basically use common sense! Why can’t that just be the unstated rule for everything? [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Because people are fucking retarded and the majority of them don't have a clue. They don't know how to act or behave while on the highway or out in public so why would a trail be any different?

Top Bottom