Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another day, another squeal. I need help diagnosing this front axle noise.

An engine stethoscope goes a long way in these situations, especially since you can reproduce the behavior. They are pretty cheap at auto parts stores, and will help you determine the exact location of the noise. Since it only happens under weight, and as Bierpower noted, it times with the axle shafts, I wonder if it's a bearing or gear alignment flexing in the diff.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Caught the Bug
    I had swapped rotors and ceramic pads and didn’t lube the clips. Lubed the pins. Brakes work great. A few months later squeaking like crazy. Took all apart cleaned. Lined new clips. All quiet.

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by Noble Woodsman View Post
    An engine stethoscope goes a long way in these situations, especially since you can reproduce the behavior. They are pretty cheap at auto parts stores, and will help you determine the exact location of the noise. Since it only happens under weight, and as Bierpower noted, it times with the axle shafts, I wonder if it's a bearing or gear alignment flexing in the diff.

I'm actually in the market for wireless mechanic's ears. That'd make this whole issue easy to find.

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by Bierpower View Post
    I would recommend centering your focus out by the wheels. In the first video the noise seems to keep time with the axle shafts not the driveshaft. Could be a dry U joint, it seems to make the noise every half turn which would be a little odd for brakes but a u joint turns back and forth with each half turn. Good luck with the hunt.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app
    I slowed the video down and the funny thing is that it's close to the wheel speed, but not exactly. I fully cleaned and lubed the entire brake system and swapped new clips and pin boots. So far, quiet this morning. We'll see if that holds up or not.

Knows a Thing or Two
    My guess was brakes because mine sounds like that. I already know that I need front brakes.

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by naysjp View Post
    My guess was brakes because mine sounds like that. I already know that I need front brakes.
    I did a full brake job on the front and the sound still exists. Pads are almost new, everything is greased, new clips, new boots on the pins, but the noise is still there after everything warms up. I'm stumped.

Fresh Catch

Exact same issue - no updates yet

I found an almost identical issue on this thread but no updates from the OP yet:

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/...king-new-noise

Fresh Catch
    I threw the JK up on stands last night to investigate further since the noise is getting worse, or at least more consistent. I was able to reproduce it for the first time with the weight off of the driver's side. I also removed my front drive shaft a couple days ago to eliminate it as a possibility.

So, I'll try to do a Babe Ruth and call my shot. I'm 95% sure it's the pinion seal contacting the pinion/flange based on where the noise is coming from. It's definitely the differential, not the brakes or unit bearing.

It'll be up on the lift for diagnosis tomorrow, so we'll see what a couple professionals conclude.

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerbrinks View Post
    I threw the JK up on stands last night to investigate further since the noise is getting worse, or at least more consistent. I was able to reproduce it for the first time with the weight off of the driver's side. I also removed my front drive shaft a couple days ago to eliminate it as a possibility.

So, I'll try to do a Babe Ruth and call my shot. I'm 95% sure it's the pinion seal contacting the pinion/flange based on where the noise is coming from. It's definitely the differential, not the brakes or unit bearing.

It'll be up on the lift for diagnosis tomorrow, so we'll see what a couple professionals conclude.
    Turns out my assumption was correct. I replaced the front pinion seal and the issue is gone. Back to quiet... at least for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by tylerbrinks View Post
    Turns out my assumption was correct. I replaced the front pinion seal and the issue is gone. Back to quiet... at least for a while.
    Wow. That's crazy for all that. At least you found it.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast