Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BUST - Part 2 : The California Emigrant Trail / The Great Platte River Road

BUST - Part 2 : The California Emigrant Trail / The Great Platte River Road

Continuing our epic overland trek to the west, we crossed into the state of Nebraska and began following a shallow but wide river that stretched across from the Missouri River to the uplands of central Wyoming. For emigrants, it was a natural east to west corridor across the plains and one that provided a much needed source of water. This stretch of the California Emigrant Trail became known as, the Great Platte River Road and in Episode 2 of BUST, you'll get to see us move further away from civilization and visit historic locations such as the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, Rock Creek Station, Fort Kearney and take a tour of the Great Platte River Road Archway Monument. You'll also get to see us visit deep wagon swales at The Sand Hill Ruts and Windlass Hill and see geologic wonders that emigrants used as landmarks to guide their way such as Courthouse and Jail Rocks, Chimney Rock and Scotts Bluff. To wrap things up, you'll get to see us cross into the state of Wyoming, make a stop at Fort Laramie, read the names carved into the face of Register Cliff and finally, stare in awe at the Ayres Natural Bridge. We hope you enjoy.

PLEASE SUBSCRIBE
    If you like what you see, want to see more and haven't done so already, please SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel by clicking the link below:
    https://www.youtube.com/wayalife?sub_confirmation=1

It's hard to imagine but, up until the 1830's, there were only a handful of people in America who had successfully traveled to California and across what was then only known as, the Great American Desert. Most of these people were trappers, traders and missionaries and it wouldn't be until the 1840's that a more defined route was established by early settlers and given the name, The California Trail. Thanks to the discovery of Gold in 1848, there would ultimately be tens of thousands of people who would make the arduous four month journey, one that started along the banks of the Missouri River and ultimately ended in the goldfields of California. Along the way, they would cover over 2,000 miles, cross deep rivers, tall mountains and an unforgiving desert and all at a time when there were no roads, no stores, no hospitals, no laws and no second chances.

For years, Cindy and I had been wondering if it was possible to retrace the California Trail from beginning to end, as closely as possible to the original route and as much as possible, all on dirt. Along the way, we would make stops at historical sites, see deep ruts carved into the hillsides from the thousands of wagons that passed through before us and follow geological landmarks that early pioneers used to guide their way. After two years of extensive research, careful planning and plotting a viable route, we finally set off to make that trek, in our Jeep Wrangler and this video series chronicles our journey.

WIN a Pair of NEW WAYALIFE Shot Glasses!!
    If you didn't WIN a pair of WAYALIFE Shot Glasses the last time around, you've got another chance coming your way and all you have to do take a guess as to how long episode 3 will be. Post up your answer here and the person who gets the closest will WIN. Good luck to you!

IMG_3903.jpg

UPDATE: And the person who came the closest in guessing the time of Episode 3 is...

Quote Originally Posted by Ski View Post
    I have really enjoyed watching both videos of your journey, especially the history. Can't wait to see Episode 3. My guess is it will be 19:19 long.
    Congratulations Ski!!

Loved it! Keep them coming!

Did the jail have 8 slots on the windows and doors, like the 8th slot here?

I’ll guess 22:01 for part 3.
    2013 JKU Sport "Spider" with some EVO goodies and a chop here and there

DIY trail/tube door build http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?24449-My-DIY-Doors

Overall "build thread" http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?2...ker-quot-build

So much history. Really cool video!

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

2012 Dozer JK
    -Dynatrac PR44/Rubicon Rear
    -Nitto 37” Trail Grapplers
    -Rock Krawler 2.5” Lift
    -ATX Slabs
    -Warn VR8
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

2012 Billet Silver JKUR
    -EVO DTD front and rear
    -Dynatrac PR60/PR80
    -EVO High Clearance Long Arm
    -Nitto 40” Trail grapplers
    -KMC Machetes
    -JE Reel 1410/1350 Driveshafts
    -Warn CTI 9.5
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

1975 DJ5

Another entertaining instalment! Thanks for taking us along for the ride. Guessing 21:30 for episode 3

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

What a great video guys! Very cool road trip! This land was made for you and me, and my Jeep, burning fossil fuels!

HAPPYTRAILS
    HAPPYTRAILS

Great editing! Great video!

Nothing but a Thing RESURECTIONJK's Avatar
    I remember seeing a short teaser from you guys a few years ago about this trip. And I wondered what had happened to the footage or if the trip just never came to be but now, I can say that this is coming out at exactly the perfect time. Totally needed this. Can’t wait for a part 3 that I’m guessing will come in right at 23:04

Just watched part 1 and 2. What an adventure! Love the history.

BUST - Part 2 : The California Emigrant Trail / The Great Platte River Road

Can only imagine what those people went through to make that Journey. But when you think about it... they couldn't have done it with out Big Wheels & Strong Axles... Great Video!

Part 3 - 27:10
    Last edited by TrailHunter; 07-25-2019 at 12:59 PM.

Amazing history and video!!! I’d love to do a trip like this sometime

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Captain Imachurity
    2003 WJ Build Thread
    2017 Gobi JKU Build Thread
    2016 Renegade Sport Build Thread
    2019 Compass Sport Build Thread

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast