Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camping near the start and end of the Rubicon

Nothing but a Thing RESURECTIONJK's Avatar

Camping near the start and end of the Rubicon

Hey all. Iím heading to the Rubicon in September and Iím considering camping the entire trip. Obviously camping on the trail but, the plan is to drive out from Utah in one day and camp as close to the trail head as possible to save on a hotel room. Run the trail, then camp somewhere near the end and return home the final day.

Any recommendations on where to set up camp? Itís my first trip over so Iím still trying to figure out exactly where I need to go and how to get to the start so any suggestions or warnings are welcome.

Lots of people camp at Loon Lake. There are lots of spots there and it's nice. Assuming you camp at Rubicon Springs, you'll be off the trail with plenty of time left in the day and you really don't need to camp afterward. Just head home from there or camp elsewhere along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    Lots of people camp at Loon Lake. There are lots of spots there and it's nice. Assuming you camp at Rubicon Springs, you'll be off the trail with plenty of time left in the day and you really don't need to camp afterward. Just head home from there or camp elsewhere along the way.
    Awesome. Yeah the plan is to push to Rubicon springs the first day and be off the trail the next and then just camp somewhere along the way. Besides, I have some exploring to do in Carson city if a certain someone is in town with some time to spare

Some of the campsites are closed at Loon Lake this summer due to construction. North Shore and some near by dispersed camping, according to this link.
    https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/eldo...a/?recid=71069

Camping near the start and end of the Rubicon

Last edited by Moochie; 07-30-2019 at 01:59 AM.

Been Around the Block PokerStogey's Avatar
    IMG_6489.jpg
    Last year I drove up and found this nice little spot about a mile or so in and set up for the night. I know you canít see much in the pic, but the trail approaches from the driverís side towards the grille and hangs a right before heading up... and to the left of the rig, a gorgeous view to wake up a cook breakfast to. Seemed like there were spots to post up everywhere before getting too involved when you first arrive. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Moochie View Post
    Some of the campsites are closed at Loon Lake this summer due to construction. North Shore and some near by dispersed camping, according to this link.
    https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/eldo...a/?recid=71069
    Thanks a ton for the link Moochie! Major help

Quote Originally Posted by PokerStogey View Post
    IMG_6489.jpg
    Last year I drove up and found this nice little spot about a mile or so in and set up for the night. I know you canít see much in the pic, but the trail approaches from the driverís side towards the grille and hangs a right before heading up... and to the left of the rig, a gorgeous view to wake up a cook breakfast to. Seemed like there were spots to post up everywhere before getting too involved when you first arrive. Enjoy!

Awesome. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by RESURECTIONJK View Post
    Hey all. Iím heading to the Rubicon in September and Iím considering camping the entire trip. Obviously camping on the trail but, the plan is to drive out from Utah in one day and camp as close to the trail head as possible to save on a hotel room. Run the trail, then camp somewhere near the end and return home the final day.

Any recommendations on where to set up camp? Itís my first trip over so Iím still trying to figure out exactly where I need to go and how to get to the start so any suggestions or warnings are welcome.
    Airport flat campground is a good spot to stay and worth checking out. Itís about 10 miles from the Loon trailhead.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy_RCW View Post
    Airport flat campground is a good spot to stay and worth checking out. Itís about 10 miles from the Loon trailhead.

Awesome. Thank you! Iím expecting day time temps to be nice and pleasant but expecting overnight lows to be in the 30ís. So hoping there wonít be any fire restrictions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast