Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ecodiesel JL- Diesel Engine in Jeep JL Wrangler

Quote Originally Posted by Ddays View Post
    I don't have anything against diesels, and the fact that folks are getting excited for these is great, but it's something I really have zero interest in owning. These goddam things go bat-shit crazy enough with all the dumb shit we do to them, that adding the complexity of a diesel to the equation sounds like no fun to me. Just seems like many more things to go wrong.

The extra torque of the diesel sounds great, but honest question: How many Jeeps out there haven't been able to make it up an obstacle or climb because they didn't have enough torque?
    I agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Primo82 View Post
    I would guess yes. Those are emissions related. If I got one first thing I'd do is figure out how to remove that shit...
    Its illegal in California and CHP along with DOT has been conducting check points for this for a while now. For me, its to much to risk of a 10k fine, having you warranty void, and vehicle towed.

Quote Originally Posted by Noble Woodsman View Post
    Yes, those type of emission systems are required now for compliance in both the US and Europe.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE
    Figured.

This will make the JT worth while. An offroad capable truck that can push 37ís with ease and actually Tow something. Now Iím interested.

I don't have anything against diesels, and the fact that folks are getting excited for these is great, but it's something I really have zero interest in owning. These goddam things go bat-shit crazy enough with all the dumb shit we do to them, that adding the complexity of a diesel to the equation sounds like no fun to me. Just seems like many more things to go wrong.

The extra torque of the diesel sounds great, but honest question: How many Jeeps out there haven't been able to make it up an obstacle or climb because they didn't have enough torque?
    There is really not a lot of difference electronically so itís not that big of a deal. 90% of off road vehicles here are diesel including JKUs and Iíve never seen someone stuck on the trail because of an emissions related problem or engine problem other than blown turbo hoses.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Nothing but a Thing boardsurfer's Avatar
    How many Jeeps out there haven't been able to make it up an obstacle or climb because they didn't have enough torque?
    You might get an argument from those of us with manual transmissions. Crawling with a clutch can be difficult - more torque at idle the better.

But this will never come with a 6MT so that doesnt really matter.

Been Around the Block
    Quote Originally Posted by boardsurfer View Post
    You might get an argument from those of us with manual transmissions. Crawling with a clutch can be difficult - more torque at idle the better.

I can second the issue of having a clutch and wishing I had a little more torque.

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd.gunman View Post
    There is really not a lot of difference electronically so it’s not that big of a deal. 90% of off road vehicles here are diesel including JKUs and I’ve never seen someone stuck on the trail because of an emissions related problem or engine problem other than blown turbo hoses.

Part of my ambivalence is probably due to the constant stream of shitty diesels we've had in the states. Face it, other than the pickup diesels, we really haven't had a diesel in a domestic car or SUV worth a damn. Everything that wasn't a piece of shit was an import and they have never really been embraced here.

Quote Originally Posted by boardsurfer View Post

My hats off to you manual guys that crawl with one. I love rowing gears but doing it in the rocks looks miserable.

Edit: Hahaha, Weebz, I had you specifically in mind!
    https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/...build-of-Gruff

Gruff 2014 JKU Moneypit
    Badger 2019 JLUR waiting for scraps

Ecodiesel JL- Diesel Engine in Jeep JL Wrangler

Canít wait this is what Iíve been waiting for since I bought my JKU.

Only hope they can figure out the overheating problems some of the Ram truck guys are having. I have 2 co-workers that have the truck and both have overheating problems. Dealer hasnít been able to figure out whatís causing them to get hot.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE
    Last edited by Edwrds; 09-27-2019 at 01:40 AM.
    2016 JKU

A lot of highways out west where the pentastar has to rev to the moon. That said, the new 8 speed makes up a lot of that.

2014 JKUR Anvil
    KK6MRA

Been Around the Block
    Part of my ambivalence is probably due to the constant stream of shitty diesels we've had in the states. Face it, other than the pickup diesels, we really haven't had a diesel in a domestic car or SUV worth a damn. Everything that wasn't a piece of shit was an import and they have never really been embraced here.

My hats off to you manual guys that crawl with one. I love rowing gears but doing it in the rocks looks miserable.

Edit: Hahaha, Weebz, I had you specifically in mind!
    Oh Iím sure. Bump it they say. Not so easy 😔

My big question is gonna be, how will this effect the need to regear?

Also, the aftermarket is going to go crazy with tuners and performance mods for that engine. I wouldnít be surprised to see JLs and JTs running around with 600-700 foot pounds of torque

Captain Imachurity
    2003 WJ Build Thread
    2017 Gobi JKU Build Thread
    2016 Renegade Sport Build Thread
    2019 Compass Sport Build Thread

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast