Ecodiesel JL- Diesel Engine in Jeep JL Wrangler

Ddays

Hooked
A lot of highways out west where the pentastar has to rev to the moon. That said, the new 8 speed makes up a lot of that.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I definitely experienced that driving through Colorado and that's a valid point for you guys out West. I guess I'm looking at it from my Eastern perspective where we have lots of hills and mountains, but we top out around 3000' elevation - far cry to the mountains you guys have.

Never thought of this, but are diesels affected as much by elevation as gas engines are? Guess if it's a turbo, no, but what about non-turbo diesels?

longarmwj

I definitely experienced that driving through Colorado and that's a valid point for you guys out West. I guess I'm looking at it from my Eastern perspective where we have lots of hills and mountains, but we top out around 3000' elevation - far cry to the mountains you guys have.

Never thought of this, but are diesels affected as much by elevation as gas engines are? Guess if it's a turbo, no, but what about non-turbo diesels?

Non turbo diesels are absolute dogs even at sea level lol. Look up some videos of old non turbo Mercedes diesels or old non turbo K10 diesel 0-60 times. Better grab a beer and a popcorn though.

Its illegal in California and CHP along with DOT has been conducting check points for this for a while now. For me, its to much to risk of a 10k fine, having you warranty void, and vehicle towed.

Where have you seen this?
And I agree. I’d hate to ruin the warranty on a brand new engine platform.

MericaMade

Where have you seen this?
And I agree. I’d hate to ruin the warranty on a brand new engine platform.

First time in San Dimas, LA County area that I drove through and one about a year or so later I ended up working a special detail with CHP in Yucaipa, San Bernardino County area. Also, I met a guy in Glamis (so take that info for what its worth) a while back who told me that after his vehicle was towed CHP contacted the manufacture and he received a letter that his warranty was void because the manufacture had received official proof his vehicle emission were removed.

Primo82

Caught the Bug
I agree with you.

Its illegal in California and CHP along with DOT has been conducting check points for this for a while now. For me, its to much to risk of a 10k fine, having you warranty void, and vehicle towed.

Figured.

Lol, good old midwest. I'm sure we still have some coal burning steam cars out here as DD somewhere...

Primo82

Caught the Bug
There is really not a lot of difference electronically so it’s not that big of a deal. 90% of off road vehicles here are diesel including JKUs and I’ve never seen someone stuck on the trail because of an emissions related problem or engine problem other than blown turbo hoses.

That's what I was going to say. Diesel's in general are as reliable if not more reliable than gas engines. The turbo is the primary failure point I think. Even then you can usually limp it along (as long as it's not a hose blow out). And the new emissions stuff sucks, probably more than on a gas system...

Primo82

Caught the Bug

I think elevation affects a diesel, turbo'ed or not. There is less oxygen for the turbo to compress, so you lose efficiency. I'm not 100% on that, but that's my understanding of the process.

Sorry, probably didn't need 3 posts here, sorry about that. I would agree with Mericamade and Highwaytrout that removing the emissions junk probably isn't worth voiding the warranty... But god those urea canisters suck.

fiend

Caught the Bug
My big question is gonna be, how will this effect the need to regear?

Also, the aftermarket is going to go crazy with tuners and performance mods for that engine. I wouldn’t be surprised to see JLs and JTs running around with 600-700 foot pounds of torque

See how long your 44s and other parts of your stock drivetrain last getting twisted with that much torque.

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
See how long your 44s and other parts of your stock drivetrain last getting twisted with that much torque.

Well that should at least boost the sales of the bolt in 60 market, maybe even enough that prices will come down (yeah right, one can dream)

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I don't have anything against diesels, and the fact that folks are getting excited for these is great, but it's something I really have zero interest in owning. These goddam things go bat-shit crazy enough with all the dumb shit we do to them, that adding the complexity of a diesel to the equation sounds like no fun to me. Just seems like many more things to go wrong.

The extra torque of the diesel sounds great, but honest question: How many Jeeps out there haven't been able to make it up an obstacle or climb because they didn't have enough torque? :idontknow:

At least for me I was excited about the range not the torque. Not like we really need it though. Gas stations are common enough that you have to be acting retarded to run out of fuel.

Noble Woodsman

There is really not a lot of difference electronically so it’s not that big of a deal. 90% of off road vehicles here are diesel including JKUs and I’ve never seen someone stuck on the trail because of an emissions related problem or engine problem other than blown turbo hoses.

The engine control strategy and emissions programming are completely different from a gasoline engine, obviously, and emissions control strategies are engine specific, which creates a major challenge for engine swaps and tranny tuning.

In the US, when DEF fluid systems were first introduced, there were MANY reliability issues, but to my knowledge those have mostly been resolved now.

The biggest ongoing challenge is how the vehicle manages DEF fluid in freezing weather. DEF fluid freezes, and EPA regulations require OEMs to put the vehicle in limp mode if DEF is not introduced to the emissions train within five minutes of startup. The other continuing issue, primarily in 1/2 ton and larger pickups, is that the DPF will clog if the vehicle is mostly driven below 55 mph without a heavy load. Sustained high load & rpms are usually what trigger the DPF regeneration cycle. I know Ford now has the option for a manual button to trigger the regen on trucks that are used for routine idling at job sites and such to address this problem.

Brute

Hooked
At least for me I was excited about the range not the torque. Not like we really need it though. Gas stations are common enough that you have to be acting retarded to run out of fuel.

Out here, there are a lot of long stretches with no fuel pumps...more than once I've been on the side of the road transferring fuel from my Rotopax's...

fiend

Caught the Bug
Out here, there are a lot of long stretches with no fuel pumps...more than once I've been on the side of the road transferring fuel from my Rotopax's...

But don’t you only get 8 mpg Ed? [emoji848]You’re probably tapping the rotopax as soon as you back out of your driveway. [emoji23]

Last edited:

sc_rhino

My big question is gonna be, how will this effect the need to regear?

Also, the aftermarket is going to go crazy with tuners and performance mods for that engine. I wouldn’t be surprised to see JLs and JTs running around with 600-700 foot pounds of torque

I don’t think you’ll need to regear. And with 3.73s, the mpg should be around 30+. And it might do that with big tires.

Spazbyt

Hooked
The engine control strategy and emissions programming are completely different from a gasoline engine, obviously, and emissions control strategies are engine specific, which creates a major challenge for engine swaps and tranny tuning.

In the US, when DEF fluid systems were first introduced, there were MANY reliability issues, but to my knowledge those have mostly been resolved now.

The biggest ongoing challenge is how the vehicle manages DEF fluid in freezing weather. DEF fluid freezes, and EPA regulations require OEMs to put the vehicle in limp mode if DEF is not introduced to the emissions train within five minutes of startup. The other continuing issue, primarily in 1/2 ton and larger pickups, is that the DPF will clog if the vehicle is mostly driven below 55 mph without a heavy load. Sustained high load & rpms are usually what trigger the DPF regeneration cycle. I know Ford now has the option for a manual button to trigger the regen on trucks that are used for routine idling at job sites and such to address this problem.

My brother has a new Mercedes desiel sprinter van that's constantly in the dealership for this. They say he doesn't run it hard enough.

Sent from my SM-G960U using WAYALIFE mobile app

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy

Lol If I had a Jeep as nice as one of yours I’d also have a hard time not acting retarded in it and running out of gas. :cheesy:

Tanktitan

I don’t think you’ll need to regear. And with 3.73s, the mpg should be around 30+. And it might do that with big tires.

My bet is you are right about not regearing. I suppose it all depends on where the sweet spot is for torque and whether they do any regearing of the transmission. I estimate that with the 3.73 and with just 32” tires, a 4:1 transfer and the current 8 speed, at 3 mph you are turning 2216 in 4 low. That is the European 2.2 Diesel’s peak torque of 332 ft lbs. With higher torque at lower RPM we may find that we do not have to do as much to get our RPM’s up into the higher ranges. That could certainly offset some of the higher initial cost.

Fitblue

Turbo diesel

For what it's worth, the turbo diesel engine in our 24' Airstream Interstate RV climbs the sierra nevada with ease, climbing to 5500'. That's while towing our mc trailer at 14-16 mpg on that climb. Otherwise 15-21 mpg. Looking forward to the Diesel Jeep!

Top Bottom