Ecodiesel JL- Diesel Engine in Jeep JL Wrangler

sc_rhino

Interesting how the diesel JLs get 3.73s and D44s front and rear as standard.

That torque figure is impressive

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

That’s what I have in my 2002 duramax, 3.73 and 520 lb-ft so this little guy puts out close to the same torque with less than half the liters. Interesting what the mpg will be.

Ddays

Hooked
I don't have anything against diesels, and the fact that folks are getting excited for these is great, but it's something I really have zero interest in owning. These goddam things go bat-shit crazy enough with all the dumb shit we do to them, that adding the complexity of a diesel to the equation sounds like no fun to me. Just seems like many more things to go wrong.

The extra torque of the diesel sounds great, but honest question: How many Jeeps out there haven't been able to make it up an obstacle or climb because they didn't have enough torque? :idontknow:

MericaMade

I don't have anything against diesels, and the fact that folks are getting excited for these is great, but it's something I really have zero interest in owning. These goddam things go bat-shit crazy enough with all the dumb shit we do to them, that adding the complexity of a diesel to the equation sounds like no fun to me. Just seems like many more things to go wrong.

The extra torque of the diesel sounds great, but honest question: How many Jeeps out there haven't been able to make it up an obstacle or climb because they didn't have enough torque? :idontknow:

I agree with you.

I would guess yes. Those are emissions related. If I got one first thing I'd do is figure out how to remove that shit...

Its illegal in California and CHP along with DOT has been conducting check points for this for a while now. For me, its to much to risk of a 10k fine, having you warranty void, and vehicle towed.

Yes, those type of emission systems are required now for compliance in both the US and Europe.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Figured.

TrailHunter

Hooked
This will make the JT worth while. An offroad capable truck that can push 37’s with ease and actually Tow something. Now I’m interested. [emoji1417]

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug

There is really not a lot of difference electronically so it’s not that big of a deal. 90% of off road vehicles here are diesel including JKUs and I’ve never seen someone stuck on the trail because of an emissions related problem or engine problem other than blown turbo hoses.

boardsurfer

How many Jeeps out there haven't been able to make it up an obstacle or climb because they didn't have enough torque? :idontknow:

You might get an argument from those of us with manual transmissions. Crawling with a clutch can be difficult - more torque at idle the better.

But this will never come with a 6MT so that doesnt really matter.

Weebz

Caught the Bug
You might get an argument from those of us with manual transmissions. Crawling with a clutch can be difficult - more torque at idle the better.

I can second the issue of having a clutch and wishing I had a little more torque.

Ddays

Hooked
There is really not a lot of difference electronically so it’s not that big of a deal. 90% of off road vehicles here are diesel including JKUs and I’ve never seen someone stuck on the trail because of an emissions related problem or engine problem other than blown turbo hoses.

Part of my ambivalence is probably due to the constant stream of shitty diesels we've had in the states. Face it, other than the pickup diesels, we really haven't had a diesel in a domestic car or SUV worth a damn. Everything that wasn't a piece of shit was an import and they have never really been embraced here. :idontknow:

My hats off to you manual guys that crawl with one. I love rowing gears but doing it in the rocks looks miserable.

Edit: Hahaha, Weebz, I had you specifically in mind!

Edwrds

Caught the Bug
Can’t wait this is what I’ve been waiting for since I bought my JKU.

Only hope they can figure out the overheating problems some of the Ram truck guys are having. I have 2 co-workers that have the truck and both have overheating problems. Dealer hasn’t been able to figure out what’s causing them to get hot.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Last edited:

Irish JK

Caught the Bug

A lot of highways out west where the pentastar has to rev to the moon. That said, the new 8 speed makes up a lot of that.

Weebz

Caught the Bug
Part of my ambivalence is probably due to the constant stream of shitty diesels we've had in the states. Face it, other than the pickup diesels, we really haven't had a diesel in a domestic car or SUV worth a damn. Everything that wasn't a piece of shit was an import and they have never really been embraced here. :idontknow:

My hats off to you manual guys that crawl with one. I love rowing gears but doing it in the rocks looks miserable.

Edit: Hahaha, Weebz, I had you specifically in mind!

Oh I’m sure. Bump it they say. Not so easy 😔

longarmwj

My big question is gonna be, how will this effect the need to regear?

Also, the aftermarket is going to go crazy with tuners and performance mods for that engine. I wouldn’t be surprised to see JLs and JTs running around with 600-700 foot pounds of torque

Top Bottom