Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: DANA Ultimate UD60 TORTURE TESTED & PROVEN on the JL / JT Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus Jeeps View Post
    I don’t expect everyone to be breaking u-joints but if they do, I would hope we could just have some shafts and u-joints laying around to fix them. I think it’s pretty silly that the answer to a fix is to send an entire crate axle out to scavenge parts from. I don’t see any other manufacturer doing that. They would send the part that broke and in less than 93 days.
    But aside from you, I haven't seen ANYONE breaking u-joints. And if they were, you can get them on Amazon for like $80 Prime. Personally, I think it's pretty silly that you're complaining about a manufacturer that's willing to send out an entire new axle to help you out when they could have just told you to wait 93 days until they had a specific part available. I don't see any other manufacturers doing that.

Really just think the consumer should be aware that if this common break occurs then they should know what to expect. They could possibly be waiting a long time for parts. I still think they’re great axles, but I offer full disclosure from my experience.
    LOL!! You'll forgive me but you breaking a u-joint is far from what I would call a "common break". There were 7 rigs running Dana UD60s that took on slick and nasty rocks out on 8 different wheeling destinations across almost 500 miles of the northeast and WITHOUT A SINGLE PROBLEM. If anything, that should prove the only thing "common" is that they DON'T break. For someone who thinks "they're great axles", you sure seem to be going to great lengths to say the exact opposite or at least, from my perspective anyway. And, if you're really all about "full disclosure", I think the consumers should know that your personal experience is a singular one.

So that it doesn't get missed, it'd be oh so easy for me to take this one break, deem Dana to be a failed experiment and go back to Dynatrac but I'm really trying my hardest to keep things as objective as possible and give them as fair a shake as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by MericaMade View Post
    So to summaries, its either a 90 day delay for axles with Dynatrac or 90 day delay with Dana Spicer parts.
    Not exactly. Premier was willing to send out a BRAND NEW COMPLETE AXLE to help him out. Just because he didn't want it doesn't mean there would have been some kind of mandatory delay.

Quote Originally Posted by bkac View Post
    Kinda sounds like my JL battery that went bad after 7 months. They are on national backorder, dealer is telling me 2-3 more months, it’s already been 3 months. Lol needless to say I either parked it while waiting on warranty or just buy an aftermarket battery. Sounds pretty silly to me that Jeep doesn’t have batteries laying around.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE
    Sounds about right to me.

Quote Originally Posted by TrailHunter View Post
    I think it messed up the shaft at the U-joint pretty bad...
    But, he said he was going easy on the throttle. A broke u-joint shouldn't take out the yokes unless you're gassing it.

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    But, he said he was going easy on the throttle. A broke u-joint shouldn't take out the yokes unless you're gassing it.
    I don't know... not really my place to explain... but it looked like he was coming down a rock bed incline and the driver wheel fell into a big hole... maybe a lot of forces on the yokes going in... or trying to get out of it...?

I don't know... not really my place to explain... but it looked like he was coming down a rock bed incline and the driver wheel fell into a big hole... maybe a lot of forces on the yokes going in... or trying to get out of it...?
    I've seen a lot of u-joints break over the years, some bad enough that they take out the yokes and the ball joints. Of course, most of those were when a lot of skinny pedal was involved. Likewise, I've seen where u-joints fail and at least one shaft is saved. When that happens, very little throttle is involved. But, I wasn't there so whatever happened, happened.

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    Okay, so I'm still confused. If you just broke a u-joint, I'm pretty sure you can buy them on Amazon for $80 and on Prime
    I think it messed up the shaft at the U-joint pretty bad...
    Correct, it took out both shafts when it broke. Once the cross broke on one side it stretched the opposing side of the shafts.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by BaddestCross View Post
    Lol. That's right, some people can have more than 1 badass Jeep.

--
    Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407
    Hehe.......

Just my opinion which may not mean anything. I think Bubbas break was simply a bad joint. It happens. The downer was no replacement shafts available. Offering to ship an entire axle assembly sounds great but the labor involved in the swap welding on steering ram bracket etc. vs just replacing the axleshaft is a pain in the ass even when you have a lift and shop like Bubba. For the typical garage mechanic DIY guy it would be far worse. Those axles are heavy as hell and hard to move. So long story short I agree 1 bad joint is no testament to the quality of the axles but they really should have some replacement parts stock

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Knows a Thing or Two Jaybird 11's Avatar
    It would be a pain in the ass to swap out the whole thing. I would have had them send it and take what i needed off of it to fix mine before i went with out my jeep for 93 days.
    Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    Just my opinion which may not mean anything. I think Bubbas break was simply a bad joint. It happens. The downer was no replacement shafts available. Offering to ship an entire axle assembly sounds great but the labor involved in the swap welding on steering ram bracket etc. vs just replacing the axleshaft is a pain in the ass even when you have a lift and shop like Bubba. For the typical garage mechanic DIY guy it would be far worse. Those axles are heavy as hell and hard to move. So long story short I agree 1 bad joint is no testament to the quality of the axles but they really should have some replacement parts stock

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Sent from my SM-G920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast