SUPER UNIMPRESSED with Milestar Patagonia M/Ts

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, I just got back from the JL/JT Experience and have to say that I'm SUPER UNIMPRESSED with Milestar Patagonia M/Ts! In fact, I would go so far as to say that they SUCK or at least, out in the east coast where rocks are super slick and the need for traction is paramount. I mean, I can't believe there are guys out there who try and suggest otherwise. And full disclosure here, no, I've never been a fan of Patagonias being that they're china tires but really, seeing them in action or lack there of spoke volumes to me. Skyjacker was running a set on their JT with a Hellcat and they struggled like hell to get up obstacles that Randy, PSC or I was able to clear with ease. And, before you blame the driver, Lonnie is a long time and experienced driver. In fact, Chris Durham was running a set as well on his JK and if it weren't for his raw talent behind the wheel, he would of had just as much trouble. It really is sad to me that so many "influencers" out there have been able to church up these tires as being the next best thing since sliced bread especially being the only thing they've got going for them is that they're cheap. Of course, that's just my opinion, based on what I've seen and you all can take it for whatever it's worth.

Here's a shot of Skyjacker desperately looking for traction.
20191018171152-31669ed0-me.jpg

bkac

Caught the Bug
From someone who currently made the mistake to try them out (my reasoning was just for the size 38s I wanted something a bit taller then a 37) they are garbage and do not last. I have 11,500 miles on them and have done a 5 tire rotation every 2-3k and they are wearing so fast. They are very hard to keep from cupping and are sensitive to pressure. They are loud and hard very uneven when it comes to balance. Some take 5 ounces other 25 ounces. I even have 2 that are out of round looking like a bent axle shaft. I bought these tires with my money and wanted to give feedback. I highly recommend not buying them to save a few bucks. In the long run it will cost you more. I’ve always ran Nitto and wow this was a big eye opener that not all tire are created the same. I won’t ever make that mistake again.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
From someone who currently made the mistake to try them out (my reasoning was just for the size 38s I wanted something a bit taller then a 37) they are garbage and do not last. I have 11,500 miles on them and have done a 5 tire rotation every 2-3k and they are wearing so fast. They are very hard to keep from cupping and are sensitive to pressure. They are loud and hard very uneven when it comes to balance. Some take 5 ounces other 25 ounces. I even have 2 that are out of round looking like a bent axle shaft. I bought these tires with my money and wanted to give feedback. I highly recommend not buying them to save a few bucks. In the long run it will cost you more. I’ve always ran Nitto and wow this was a big eye opener that not all tire are created the same. I won’t ever make that mistake again.

I know you were struggling quite a bit on the trip as well. At least, more so than I think you would have with a different set of tires. I have seen the cupping problem on other Jeeps and actually talked to Milestar about it. They told me that the Patagonias are designed to be ran on the crown and require that you inflate them to 35 psi or more for better wear...

I have run a lot of different tires over the years and while I used to think that Goodyear MT/R's were the worst MT you could buy, I think Milestar Patagonias have just taken their spot. And, before all the fanboys out there accuse me of making this post because Milestar wouldn't give me free tires, let me just say, they couldn't pay me to run them.

bkac

Caught the Bug
I know you were struggling quite a bit on the trip as well. At least, more so than I think you would have with a different set of tires. I have seen the cupping problem on other Jeeps and actually talked to Milestar about it. They told me that the Patagonias are designed to be ran on the crown and require that you inflate them to 35 psi or more for better wear...

I have run a lot of different tires over the years and while I used to think that Goodyear MT/R's were the worst MT you could buy, I think Milestar Patagonias have just taken their spot. And, before all the fanboys out there accuse me of making this post because Milestar wouldn't give me free tires, let me just say, they couldn't pay me to run them.

After the first day of being embarrassed by running them [emoji51] I realized quickly I need to run them around 5psi where most of the rigs were 12-15 it get the traction needed. It required a lot more wheel speed then I was comfortable with on stock axles. The hardest part is on a trip like this you are pushed for time and where some could head down the road without airing up I was nervous to do so on cheap tires at that pressure requiring me to feel rushed to get them aired up when others didn’t need to worry. Never again, I hope others learn from my mistakes. I’m glad I tried them because it made me truly appreciate how much quality and research Nitto puts in their tires! If someone is telling you Pats are a great tire they didn’t buy them.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
After the first day of being embarrassed by running them [emoji51] I realized quickly I need to run them around 5psi where most of the rigs were 12-15 it get the traction needed. It required a lot more wheel speed then I was comfortable with on stock axles. The hardest part is on a trip like this you are pushed for time and where some could head down the road without airing up I was nervous to do so on cheap tires at that pressure requiring me to feel rushed to get them aired up when others didn’t need to worry. Never again, I hope others learn from my mistakes. I’m glad I tried them because it made me truly appreciate how much quality and research Nitto puts in their tires! If someone is telling you Pats are a great tire they didn’t buy them.

Come to think of it, I did see you spend a lot of time airing up. I guess I know why now.

BTW, I'm pretty sure that Durham had his tread custom cut to help them along. :crazyeyes:

bkac

Caught the Bug
Come to think of it, I did see you spend a lot of time airing up. I guess I know why now.

BTW, I'm pretty sure that Durham had his tread custom cut to help them along. :crazyeyes:

I believe you are correct. They were the Durham specials [emoji4]

longarmwj

IMG_6636.jpg
One of the locals has a set on his (very beautiful) LJ. He’s also locked front and rear. There’s been times that he’s sat there and spun trying to get them to bite, then I come up to the obstacle (mind you I’m open/BLD, running 37/12.50 STT Pros with like 20% tread left) and I walk it. Some of the shit I’ve gotten those STTs to hook on has been mind blowing, even with low tread. Just when you think you’re gonna break traction, it grabs and goes.

I also second the statement about MTR Kevlars. Had them on my JK for a while. Never ever again

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
So funny how these seem to be the sexy tire to run for the overlanding crowd. I've seen a few Jeeps running them and all of the drivers I asked how they like them all raved about them. :rolleyes2: Of course they do. They work going to the local REI and Starbucks with their roof racks loaded with kayaks and shit they never use

bkac

Caught the Bug
View attachment 336583
One of the locals has a set on his (very beautiful) LJ. He’s also locked front and rear. There’s been times that he’s sat there and spun trying to get them to bite, then I come up to the obstacle (mind you I’m open/BLD, running 37/12.50 STT Pros with like 20% tread left) and I walk it. Some of the shit I’ve gotten those STTs to hook on has been mind blowing, even with low tread. Just when you think you’re gonna break traction, it grabs and goes.

I also second the statement about MTR Kevlars. Had them on my JK for a while. Never ever again

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I’ve ran both. Swore I’d never run MTRs again but I’d definitely take them over the Pats lol.

bkac

Caught the Bug
So funny how these seem to be the sexy tire to run for the overlanding crowd. I've seen a few Jeeps running them and all of the drivers I asked how they like them all raved about them. :rolleyes2: Of course they do. They work going to the local REI and Starbucks with their roof racks loaded with kayaks and shit they never use

Let them get some miles on them or lack there of and then ask them. [emoji20]

nbunga

Caught the Bug

But they have a super trendy name too. That has to count for something

Wait.... a tire that only gets shown hooking up under ideal conditions in a place where even an ice cube can find traction (Moab) sucks balled when ACTUALLY put to the test in real world conditions fails to live up to the hype... fucking shocked!

bkac

Caught the Bug
But they have a super trendy name too. That has to count for something

You had to go there! Hahaha, I live in a full Patagonia town and I forbid to buy/wear any of it. I hear it’s quality stuff unlike the tires lol

WJCO

Meme King
They never interested me. In fact I was turned off by them within the last year or so. Main reason being is that they've been around for years and the majority of jeepers have never even heard of them. It wasn't until recently that some newbie buys a Jeep, shows up in social media with provocative thumbnails and suddenly the tires are showing up everywhere, lol. That was more than enough evidence for me. I'm not surprised these things blow more than the influencers pushing them.

CalSgt

Hooked
You had to go there! Hahaha, I live in a full Patagonia town and I forbid to buy/wear any of it. I hear it’s quality stuff unlike the tires lol

I had a down Patagonia jacket about 25 years ago that was super warm and comfortable until some dickbag stole it at a party

Top Bottom