Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: SUPER UNIMPRESSED with Milestar Patagonia M/Ts

Quote Originally Posted by fiend View Post
    I don’t know. I’m getting ads for yoga pants ...

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

So, are you buying?

I bought these a few weeks before the JT experience videos started going up, based off price/budget at the time and a few friends I wheel with having good things to say..then I see the Skyjacker JT struggling in every single second it was on camera, right after Eddie climbs up the same obstical with ease l, and I knew right then. I fucked up lol, havent had them out wheeling yet, but at least I'll know what the issue is. Luckily because of the hype train around them, I'll be able to recoup 90% of the money initially invested on them.
    2000 WJ. Retired.
    2007 JKS. Retired
    2011 JKUS. Retired
    2014 JKUR.

Fresh Catch
    A buddy of mine is running them in 38s. He hasn't had them in the summer months yet but they absolutely destroy my STT Pros when the trails turn to icy conditions. (Alaska)

That's the only time I've been disappointed with my Coopers. Otherwise, I love them.

I gotta be honest, the price point had me wanting to try them out for my next set of tires. Went wheeling with a couple buddies this past weekend. One guy in a Rubicon JLU with Patagonias took triple the time to get up the same obstacle as me with open front, lsd rear on Mud Grapplers. Mud grapplers aren't the best tire out there at all, yet they still outperformed those damn things on most obstacles. Was very disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Quote Originally Posted by Remmy View Post
    A buddy of mine is running them in 38s. He hasn't had them in the summer months yet but they absolutely destroy my STT Pros when the trails turn to icy conditions. (Alaska)

That's the only time I've been disappointed with my Coopers. Otherwise, I love them.
    IMO, ice is ice. No tire other than studded can really overcome physics.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Quote Originally Posted by Remmy View Post

Unless that was an apples to apples comparison as in, same exact same Jeep built the same way, both running 38's only one running STT Pros and the other Patagonia's, I find that very difficult to believe. The Renegade I used to own (running STT Pros) could run circles around a built up JK running Duratracs on ice and they're about the best tire I've run on ice. Size, weight, traction control system and most importantly, DRIVER will make a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaJK View Post
    I gotta be honest, the price point had me wanting to try them out for my next set of tires. Went wheeling with a couple buddies this past weekend. One guy in a Rubicon JLU with Patagonias took triple the time to get up the same obstacle as me with open front, lsd rear on Mud Grapplers. Mud grapplers aren't the best tire out there at all, yet they still outperformed those damn things on most obstacles. Was very disappointed.
    I dunno, aside from the howling they make on pavement, I've always found Mud Grapplers to rock on the trail. What you saw with the Patagonias is what I saw all week on the JL/JT Experience. Totally lame social media overhyped china tire.

Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    IMO, ice is ice. No tire other than studded can really overcome physics.
    This ^^^^

However, I'm always amazed at what a modern vehicle with really good traction control can do on it.

Fresh Catch
    One thing I know after living in Alaska for the last 40 years is driving in icy conditions. Our winters are long and they can be cold. Different tread patterns (such as siping) and rubber compounds make a significant difference in how well a tire hooks up in icy conditions. Studs are certainly favorable but there's more to it than that.

It's the same reason a dedicated winter tire, such as a Nokian Hakkapallita or Blizzak will wear so quickly if driven during the warm summer months. The rubber compound is designed to remain pliable in cold temperatures with the consequence of quicker wear, which is accelerated with warm temps.

It appears the Milestar is a soft compound that "wears quickly" as mentioned above in this thread.

The harder compound tires that tend to "wear like iron" become extremely hard when the temperatures dip, as a result, they don't hook up as well. I've seen this time and time again and although the Cooper STT Pro is one of my favorite tires it simply sucks when it's -15 F and the trail up the mountain has been spun down to ice. I'm talking brakes on sliding backwards back down the hill when my buddy blows up over it multiple times.

Personally I don't even like wheeling in the mountains with those conditions but sometimes it just seems to happen as plans seem to change once we all get out...😁

I'm by no means claiming the Patagonia is an Epic winter tire that's just what I've seen relative to my Coopers.

We are both running JL Rubicons and I'm on 37s....He runs 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers in the summer but swapped to the Patagonias for "Winter Riding."

Been Around the Block Braxtonsag's Avatar
    I have the Patagonia’s currently and they’re getting ready to be swapped out this week. My 5000 mile review on them is that they suck ass in wet conditions. Other than that they have been a joy. I only got to use them in Moab and we all know plastic power wheels tires could grip there, but they never gave me anything to complain about. I do find it weird that Milestar said to run them at 35 psi because I initially had them at 32 and I had maybe 3” of contact patch touching the road and I felt like I was rolling around on roller blades. I had to lower all the way to 25psi to use the full width of tread. I just assumed it was because my Jeep is relatively light. I wouldn’t say I had a bad experience with them by any means, but I need something that I’m not going to kick the ass end out sideways while going 45 on the interstate around a curve.

Well, the STT Pro is no all terrain tire and has about as much siping as a Trail Grappler - essentially, NONE. Why anyone would think it should do anything on ice like that is beyond me. Of course, this thread was to talk about Milestar Patagonia tires and for ALL the all terrain like siping their lugs have, I would have expected them to do better on any slick surface. If you say they did great on your Alaska ice, I can only take your word for it. Me, I can only show how they performed on wet slick rocks in our videos and as the title of this thread states, I was SUPER UNIMPRESSED. But hey, that's just me.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast