Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JK STEERING HAS ME WANDERING.... I mean wondering

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by wjtstudios View Post
    PSC big bore XD llr. When my OEM gear went, I had a lot of play at the steering wheel and that does not sound like what you are dealing with.

For the unit bearings, they wonít always make noise. You need to check for play in the wheel itself. Grab top and bottom of the tire and twist to see if there is any play in the unit bearing.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
    1985 CJ8 Scrambler
    My steering wheel had the play issue for what it's worth so the new gear box fixed me

Quote Originally Posted by Dpindustries View Post
    My steering wheel had the play issue for what it's worth so the new gear box fixed me
    Great! Check out PSC for the Gear.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
    1985 CJ8 Scrambler
    2015 JKU Rubicon AEV JK350
    1985 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler

As mentioned Iíd look into PSC for the box and pump. It would also bug me to only have half the balljoints replaced too, so itís not a bad idea to do the other side.

I really recommend taking off that steering stabilizer and taking it for a spin before you do the box and pump. The charged bilstein stabilizers like to push outward and couldnít potentially give you that feeling if the steering box is trying to fight it and return to center. If nothing else itís a free idea to try before you drop some coin to replace more parts.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by wjtstudios View Post
    PSC big bore XD llr. When my OEM gear went, I had a lot of play at the steering wheel and that does not sound like what you are dealing with.

For the unit bearings, they wonít always make noise. You need to check for play in the wheel itself. Grab top and bottom of the tire and twist to see if there is any play in the unit bearing.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
    1985 CJ8 Scrambler
    I checked for play y grabbing the top and bottom of the tire by hand and don't notice any. Is this something I should be checking with a pry bar, or is by hand going to detect it?

Sounds like PSC is the preferred gear box to look into.

So my plan is (in this order):

First I will unhook the steering stabilizer... it's a easy enough check.

Second I'm also going to replace the passenger side ball joints just because of my OCD

Then I'm replacing the gear box. Will need to compare cost to decide if I should just get the PSC and be done with it, or get away as cheap as possible since at this point I'm not even sure it's the gear box.

Meanwhile I'm still unpacking boxes after moving into my new place last weekend... so this might take a couple weeks, but I'll report back with findings.

Quote Originally Posted by ken31756 View Post
    I checked for play y grabbing the top and bottom of the tire by hand and don't notice any. Is this something I should be checking with a pry bar, or is by hand going to detect it?

Sounds like PSC is the preferred gear box to look into.

So my plan is (in this order):

First I will unhook the steering stabilizer... it's a easy enough check.

Second I'm also going to replace the passenger side ball joints just because of my OCD

Then I'm replacing the gear box. Will need to compare cost to decide if I should just get the PSC and be done with it, or get away as cheap as possible since at this point I'm not even sure it's the gear box.

Meanwhile I'm still unpacking boxes after moving into my new place last weekend... so this might take a couple weeks, but I'll report back with findings.
    Iíve had mine torn up enough to feel movement as I twisted the tire in and out. But, Iíve also see guys have to use a gauge to show the movement because it was so small.

As for the gear goes, with 37s and bigger the gear and pump are the minimum. I ran the PSC big bore for years and it does help when you are bound up on rocks. This spring I added the ram to the system and itís night and day on the rocks as compared to just the big bore. So if you order one from PSC, get it ported. Itís ready for you when you get to the point of installing a ram assist.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
    1985 CJ8 Scrambler
    2015 JKU Rubicon AEV JK350
    1985 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12