Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tire chains

Quote Originally Posted by DMF View Post
    Sorry jumping in on your thread op but would you guys consider having chains if your Jeep was stock?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE
    If you live in California and go to the mountains in the winter, sooner or later you’ll encounter CHP chain restrictions. 4x4 with snow tires may get a pass. 4x4 with street looking tires, nope.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by fiend View Post
    If you live in California and go to the mountains in the winter, sooner or later you’ll encounter CHP chain restrictions. 4x4 with snow tires may get a pass. 4x4 with street looking tires, nope.

We have tire chain requirements occasionally going through Snoqualmie or Stevens pass in the winter...I’ve yet to encounter chain requirement...

Quote Originally Posted by Brute View Post
    We have tire chain requirements occasionally going through Snoqualmie or Stevens pass in the winter...I’ve yet to encounter chain requirement...
    Yup. Got chain requirements all around the Tahoe area too but so far, I've never been stopped unless the whole highway was closed.

Knows a Thing or Two Clearskies's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snboarder113 View Post
    You guys trying to drive the Alaskan ice roads or the coquahala? (I watch too much tv)
    Seriously though I’ve never heard of stateside roads being forced modified 4x4s to chain up. Entire road closures I’ve seen but never a “you got chains?”

I live in the mountains, one lane in and out. Last winter there was an accident and the road was all ice. There was only a little room to get by and the chp didn't want anyone sliding near the accident causing more problems.
    I always carry chains in the winter now. There are rare incidents that they may be needed.. at least for me

Sent from my SM-N960U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Snboarder113 View Post
    You climbing any mountains? Unless you’re running highway tires and feel like jumping into two feet of snow I wouldn’t.

Thanks guys, I should just get a set. I know I won't need them but don't want CHP to turn me around for not having them on my stock tires. Their not HT tires but they sure look like it when pack in snow.

Been Around the Block Jaybird 11's Avatar
    You prob wont even make it to the chain check point with all the truck drivers that have the towel on their heads stuck in your way.
    Quote Originally Posted by DMF View Post
    Thanks guys, I should just get a set. I know I won't need them but don't want CHP to turn me around for not having them on my stock tires. Their not HT tires but they sure look like it when pack in snow.
    Sent from my SM-G920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Been Around the Block Jaybird 11's Avatar
    They had to close the back road between Weed and Mt. Shasta because all of the people using google maps to find a way around the check point and getting stuck.

Sent from my SM-G920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Over Thanksgiving they had restrictions in place going up to Big Bear that 4x4 vehicles had to have chains on.

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Knows a Thing or Two Clearskies's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jesse3638 View Post
    Over Thanksgiving they had restrictions in place going up to Big Bear that 4x4 vehicles had to have chains on.

In my area they are getting more restrictive to keep the riff raff out.. When we get snow it gets so silly with everyone coming up from Bakersfield and other areas.. They make it incredibly unsafe and frankly they leave tons of trash behind and the traffic is insane..

Quote Originally Posted by Clearskies View Post
    In my area they are getting more restrictive to keep the riff raff out.. When we get snow it gets so silly with everyone coming up from Bakersfield and other areas.. They make it incredibly unsafe and frankly they leave tons of trash behind and the traffic is insane..
    A friend of mine lives in wrightwood and says the same thing due to the traffic heading to the ski resort and snow play area. He actually had a family sledding off of his front stoop. He told them to leave and go play somewhere else and they got mad at him because it was their kids first time playing in snow. Wtf its private property. People are stupid.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast