Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sounds like a Ping-Pong ball in my steering wheel!

Iíd take it for a drive and have someone really listen for where itís coming from. Wheel or further down. Can you feel anything when it happens or is it just a sound?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Iíd take it for a drive and have someone really listen for where itís coming from. Wheel or further down. Can you feel anything when it happens or is it just a sound?

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by Noble Woodsman View Post
    Maybe it's a nut loose behind the wheel 🤣

Sorry, i couldnt resist.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE
    I was wondering what took so long!

Quote Originally Posted by JeepinLife View Post

I honestly don't feel anything when the noise happens. I tried driving with the windows down last night, and I didn't hear anything (from outside) when the ping pong ball started bouncing. It mostly happens at lower speeds, 15-45.
    I'll get my wife to listen for it and see if she can locate it. This will be fun! Usually she hits me up with "My car is making a noise..."

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeeep View Post
    I'd take it to the dealer but would also look for any cracked/broken welds on the front and rear control arm brackets, track bar bracket.

Check the trackbar bolt torque, loosen them to relieve any binding then tighten.

Noises like that can travel up from any part of the Jeep.
    ARGH!!! I hate the thought of taking it to the dealer. The one I bought my Jeep from is all the way on the other side of town. The one closest to me, I wouldn't let them put gas in my tank! I'll do some checking. I'll take a look under the Jeep and see if I find anything loose or broken. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by desertrunner View Post
    Might be un related to your Jeep issue but my F150 has a ping pong bouncing sound from time to time when it's real cold out in the steering wheel when I turn it. I notice it most in parking lots. It's done it for 2 winter's now and doesn't seem to affect anything other than be a little annoying.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Really? Wow, I wasn't sure there was anyone out here with ping pong balls in the steering wheel! Misery loves company Yeah, so far, it's just an annoyance. Maybe I should just turn the stereo up! Oooh-WAH-AH-AH-AH!!!

Any chance of getting videos with the sound of the noises?

Sent from my SM-G892A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by POOJEEP View Post
    Any chance of getting videos with the sound of the noises?

Sent from my SM-G892A using WAYALIFE mobile app
    I could try. I.m not very good with the phone while driving though...

Quote Originally Posted by desertrunner View Post
    Might be un related to your Jeep issue but my F150 has a ping pong bouncing sound from time to time when it's real cold out in the steering wheel when I turn it. I notice it most in parking lots. It's done it for 2 winter's now and doesn't seem to affect anything other than be a little annoying.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Is it a single pop and do you feel it? Or is it just the noise? When itís cold out making slow turns I occasionally get a pop which I can feel. Iím pretty sure itís frozen moisture in the sway bar at the frame bushings not allowing the sway bar to fully move. Iím not completely sure but thatís what Iíve come to think it is.

Fresh Catch
    I got into the steering wheel yesterday. I did a lot of "research" and found that the JL is a lot like the JK, only there are these little covers over the bolts that hold things together on the steering wheel, A small (instrument) flat blade screw driver in the divot, levering against my finger opens them up nicely, to reveal the bolts that secure the air bag. I didn't remove the air bag because I wasn't sure how or which connectors came undone. But I did check it out under the air bag, and the sound the plastic bracket made underneath, the clock spring, is the sound I've been hearing. It's the clockspring making the noise. Now Mopar doesn't call it the clockspring anymore. It looks like they are calling out the Multi-function switch as the clockspring in the JL.. And Mine is $415! So I guess I'll be making an appointment with the dealer to take it in for a warranty repair.
    It has to be the clockspring. It's the only part there that makes that noise.

--Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie314 View Post
    I got into the steering wheel yesterday. I did a lot of "research" and found that the JL is a lot like the JK, only there are these little covers over the bolts that hold things together on the steering wheel, A small (instrument) flat blade screw driver in the divot, levering against my finger opens them up nicely, to reveal the bolts that secure the air bag. I didn't remove the air bag because I wasn't sure how or which connectors came undone. But I did check it out under the air bag, and the sound the plastic bracket made underneath, the clock spring, is the sound I've been hearing. It's the clockspring making the noise. Now Mopar doesn't call it the clockspring anymore. It looks like they are calling out the Multi-function switch as the clockspring in the JL.. And Mine is $415! So I guess I'll be making an appointment with the dealer to take it in for a warranty repair.
    It has to be the clockspring. It's the only part there that makes that noise.

--Charlie
    Glad to hear that you have some idea! Hopefully the dealer resolves this for you

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12