Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sounds like a Ping-Pong ball in my steering wheel!

Fresh Catch

Exclamation Sounds like a Ping-Pong ball in my steering wheel!

I hate to post this, but I can't find anything, so here goes:
    I have a 2018 JLUR, all stock, 3.6L, Hard Top, about 24K miles. A couple weeks ago after the temps dropped, I noticed an annoying sound coming from the steering wheel, or steering column. Every once in a while, it sounds like a ping pong ball bouncing! It's really annoying. It happens when I go over little bumps and irregularities in the road. Usually during city/suburban driving. Turning the wheel doesn't induce the noise. Only small bumps. Banging on the steering wheel/column will not induce the noise. Windows up, heater on, radio on or off, I hear this ping pong ball bouncing in the steering wheel. It's the only rattle I have in this Jeep! Does anyone else have this going on? Does anyone have a clue what I might be hearing? It doesn't sound like it's under the dash. Any ideas what I should check/look at? I don't think a ping pong ball will fit in the steering wheel!
    Thanks for reading.

---Charlie

I'd take it to the dealer but would also look for any cracked/broken welds on the front and rear control arm brackets, track bar bracket.

Check the trackbar bolt torque, loosen them to relieve any binding then tighten.

Noises like that can travel up from any part of the Jeep.

Okay, so I have a really annoying sound coming from the steering wheel on my JT but it doesn't sound like ping pong balls. More like, hands rubbing on a latex balloon and only when turning it. Sorry, I know it's not the same thing but I thought I should put it out there just in case someone else has a solution for this. At this rate, I may just have to take it in to the dealership as it sounds like it's coming from inside the steering column as well.

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    Okay, so I have a really annoying sound coming from the steering wheel on my JT but it doesn't sound like ping pong balls. More like, hands rubbing on a latex balloon and only when turning it. Sorry, I know it's not the same thing but I thought I should put it out there just in case someone else has a solution for this. At this rate, I may just have to take it in to the dealership as it sounds like it's coming from inside the steering column as well.
    Ours has done that a few times. Comes and goes. Seems to only do it when we first drive it after sitting.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    Ours has done that a few times. Comes and goes. Seems to only do it when we first drive it after sitting.
    No kidding? Okay, so I'm not the only one. Over time, it seems to have gotten worse and does it all the time now. It's really annoying and I've looked hard to find it. Where I hear it loudest and feel it vibrating the most is from the steering column and right behind the dash. Closer to the firewall and there is no vibration.

No kidding? Okay, so I'm not the only one. Over time, it seems to have gotten worse and does it all the time now. It's really annoying and I've looked hard to find it. Where I hear it loudest and feel it vibrating the most is from the steering column and right behind the dash. Closer to the firewall and there is no vibration.
    To be honest ours has done it maybe 3 times or so, so I haven't paid much attention to it. It will occur when pulling out of the driveway after sitting for a day or so. And it goes away by the time we make a turn or two. But it sounds exactly like you described it.

No ping pong ball sounds though, sorry.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Nothing but a Thing desertrunner's Avatar
    Might be un related to your Jeep issue but my F150 has a ping pong bouncing sound from time to time when it's real cold out in the steering wheel when I turn it. I notice it most in parking lots. It's done it for 2 winter's now and doesn't seem to affect anything other than be a little annoying.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app
    12' 2dr Gecko Sport 6 speed
    PR44, ARBs, 4.88s, 35 spline rear, Adams 1350 Front & Rear, Rubi T-case, Rubi sway bar + Evo no limits, Evo armor & skids, 37/13.50" Cooper STT Pro, Evo 2" plush / OME med duty springs

***SOLD*** 08' JKU Rubicon 6-speed Stone White, 3.5" RK lift, 37" KM2s and lots more.
    ***CURRENT DD*** 16' F150

Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    My JKs done the same thing and it comes and goes. It’s fun, you can annoy your kids with and play a little song while sitting at a stop light.

But seriously, no idea what causes it. Had the dealership look into it it and they told me it was the vinyl seal behind the airbag. Who knows if that’s true.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
    1985 CJ8 Scrambler
    2015 JKU Rubicon AEV JK350
    1985 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler

I had a coin in the dash of my work truck 2 trucks ago and by turning quick I could get it from one side to the other, finally got so annoying I bought a new truck

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Maybe it's a nut loose behind the wheel 🤣

Sorry, i couldnt resist.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast